Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC block color

If you can't find the specific paints mentioned, see what you can find in a medium blue metallic at the auto parts store. I'd have no problem going with something of that kind.

I'd also use Testor Nassau Blue if I couldn't find anything closer.

When I built my Super Stock '69 AMX, I used Model Master Olds Engine Blue and thought it was a good match for my reference pictures.

If you can't find the specific paints mentioned, see what you can find in a medium blue metallic at the auto parts store. I'd have no problem going with something of that kind.

I'd also use Testor Nassau Blue if I couldn't find anything closer.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this.  Neither of those shades comes close to AMC engine blue, which is closer to a light teal.

As for the OP, it looks like someone found some info a paint shop could use to mix it, but that may require you to buy a quart, at a minimum. (Shop policies vary)    An alternative solution, if you have an airbrush, would be to check the nail polish aisle.  You should have no trouble matching this shade.  You'll probably have to reduce it with lacquer thinner, so you should use an appropriate primer on the engine before painting.  

AMC401.jpg

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this.  Neither of those shades comes close to AMC engine blue, which is closer to a light teal.

As for the OP, it looks like someone found some info a paint shop could use to mix it, but that may require you to buy a quart, at a minimum. (Shop policies vary)    An alternative solution, if you have an airbrush, would be to check the nail polish aisle.  You should have no trouble matching this shade.  You'll probably have to reduce it with lacquer thinner, so you should use an appropriate primer on the engine before painting.

AMC401.jpg

I'll humbly defer to your expertise, Monty. I built my AMX long before the internet, using magazine photos of a restored car where the engine looked very much like this:

http://image.hotrod.com/f/100928289+w660+h495+cr1/1969-amc-super-stock-amx-engine.jpg

Does anyone have a recommendation about a paint color that is a good match for the OEM color on the engine block of a 1969 or 1970 AMX? Thanks for your assistance.....

I assume you're working with a Johan kit, so if you're interested in being totally accurate, you may want to consider sourcing an engine from another kit.  Johan never changed up to the newer-style engines in their AMC kits, which made them look a little iffy (Imagine building a '70 Mustang with a Y-block) especially to AMC aficionados.   

I've heard AMT's Bobby Allison stock car and one of the Monogram Jeeps have the basics for a more correct-looking engine, and the stock car should be available cheap.  Best of luck on your project. 

I am not working on a Johan kit. I am starting to work on a 1/20th scale AMX from MPC. I came across a Testor's Gloss Teal in the 1/4 ounce bottle that is in the right color family but may be ever so slightly too dark. I think I will try that and see how it looks when it dries.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Monty.

I have read on an AMC forum that the correct engine color is Ditzler # 13730 or Seymore EN #66.This color was used on a variety of AMC engines and covers the 69-73 model years. Eastwood also makes an AMC Aqua Metallic Blue color that is a passable match. However, the Eastwood AMC Aqua Metallic Blue is not close enough for a concourse or high-dollar show car. The Ditzler # 13730 & Seymore EN #66 is a bit deeper turquois with a tad more gloss finish. Hope this helps.

Ditzler # 13730 / Seymore EN #66:

DSCN0100.jpg

Eastwood AMC Aqua Metallic Blue

DSCN2318.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko