Model Cars Magazine Forum

Picked this one up today at Michaels's using a 40% off coupon. It's going to be a basic box stock build, except I'll strip the factory finish and repaint it.

And since I ordered this last week from Gravity Colors, I'll be putting it to use on the Raptor. Gravity's white primer with Ford Deep Impact Blue and top it off with some GC clear.

Step 1: Time for an IPA bath.

Before :

After: Later tonight, or tomorrow morning, pending on how long it takes for the IPA to knock off the factory clear and the black highlights and Raptor badge.

David

Sorry for the newbie question, but what do you mean by ipa? Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build!

Thanks for the reply. 

IPA is short for isopropyl alcohol. I use this, 

or

when I need to strip paint. Just look under the Tips and Tricks section for alot of good info for new modelers. 

Small update, I forgot take a pic of the truck before primer, but after the IPA bath I knocked off the last of the factory shine with some 600 grit then shot some primer.

I like to use Krylon Colormaster from Walmart. Can costs $5.88 or so CDN, and can easily last for 5-6 projects pending on how many coats I use. For chassis' and interiors I generally just shoot colour over top, but for bodies I'll sand this out and any imperfections out before using either Scale Finishes or Gravity Colors primer, then top coats.

I'll sand this out and either leave it over night to cure up or respray if I find any mold lines I missed. Hopefully some GC primer and color tomorrow.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

David

Do you plan to re-do the "Raptor" logo on the side?

At the moment, no. I may take some pics off the net and try to make my own with the Testors decal kit I bought. I've never used it so it'll be a learning experience. I have some aftermarket sponsorship decals I might use to kind of replicate this:

Will see what happens as I go.

David

First round of colour down. Needs another couple of coats. The Gravity Colors are super thin but do they ever dry smooth. I'm also having some issues with my airbrush, it just randomly "spits" out some extra dots of paint leaving a spot that's darker than the surrounding paint. Hopefully I can figure out why it is doing this to me.

Anyways, a couple shots of the blue, I think it looks great and the clear will make it pop.

Sorry for the crappy pics, just using my cell phone atm, new camera in a couple weeks I hope.

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

David

Did a wet coat earlier tonight and just wet sanded it now. I'll see what it looks like in the morning and maybe hit it with another wet coat before starting on the decals.

I have the day off tomorrow so I hope to get the decals done by the end of day.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

David