Model Cars Magazine Forum

hey guys, been posting some on facebook, thought I'd share it on the forum also.
the build went together really easy with no real issues.
addeda bit of texture with bondo and added a few welds around.

I'm just starting on the painting now, I use dupli-color primer, and then everything else is craft paints.
wheels

turret 

So far, so good. That's the Rye Field Model RFM 5001, right? It's a great kit, minor issues notwithstanding. I see that you've discovered that the mounting bolts on the hull don't align with the mudguards. :D What paint did you use for RAL 8000?

Note:

Neither of the Tiger battalions (501 and 504) were part of DAK. 

lol yeah the bolt head on the fenders. They do include several bolt head detail on the sprue runners of both "D" sprues  if you wanted to sand them off and move them,  Also I wanted to see the tracks better on the finished model, on the color I just mixed a few yellow and brown craft paint together to make a base yellow and a bit of a lighter yellow. 

Now that is looking really, really good. Just enough to depict a new vehicle at the start of a combat career. 

I have that kit and intend to start it soon. How did you like it?

I'm also curious as to  your choice of color, specifically the lack of RAL 7008 in a camouflage pattern over the base color. Do you have specific references for Tiger 144 that led you that way?

I'm asking because in all my references, I find that sPzAbt 501 painted all the Tigers RAL 8000 with a RAL 7008 camo pattern prior to shipping out to Tunisia. 

G

Edited by Agent G

Thanks!, the kit is real nice. And for all the stuff in the box you can't beat it on the price.

i like the regular dark yellow, that's what I think of on an Africa vehicle.  The instructions in this kit don't call for any camo pattern just a solid color. They tell you to paint it "rlm02 gray" which looks like a pea green/yellow in their drawing.  But the box art looks yellow 

thanks for the links!, i really dont take it to the rivet counter extreme though haha or enter contests, so as long as it looks like what it is im happy

but since its been pointed out to me a million times lol, I added camo stripes around the tank. the Rye Field instructions don't say to add anything!  i figured the best way to add them after the fact was to spray them with thinned down artist oils. worked pretty good

Ok now we're talking.

That looks great!

The base color is spot on. I like the low contrast between the two colors, that looks good. The real colors were that way as well.

Remember April 1941-April 1942 RAL 8000 with RAL 7008 pattern, April 1942-April 1943 RAL 8020 and RAL 7027. The exceptions were the Tigers, which were RAL 8000/7008 in late 1942- early 1943 and some Pz III's and other vehicles in RAL 7028. 

Rye Field's reference for a color is apparently based on the old premise of "green Tigers" in North Africa.  While that "pea green" color did show up on Tigers in Russia, there is no credible proof of it's use in Tunisia. In fact  a fellow named David Byrden ? has documented almost, if not every, Tiger in sPzAbt 501 and 504. 

For all of you readers who are lost about now, I provide this as an example of what this conversation is about. 

The real deal, captured in Tunisia and fully restored to the way it looked all those years ago. Painted RAL 8000/7008.

Image found on the internet and displayed here for discussion only.

bovington_tiger.thumb.jpg.5bf423caa64950

G

That is an awesome paint job!! I didn't know you could get a finish that good from craft paints. I'm impressed!

lol thanks! when you wanna save money on paint you work with it until you figure it out :lol:

painted up this figure from a miniart set, not really liking it though. think I will buy a resin figure instead.

thanks man! i recommend the craft paint if your interested in saving money

I went around the tank adding a bunch of tiny chipping and scratches,  added some stuff on the back like a bucket and extra track. and detail painted the spent round on the engine deck.

• 2 weeks later...