Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big & Little aluminium 5-slot wheels

Chief Joseph of Fireball Modelworks has these rims,

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/113676-surprise-release-125-5-slot-mags-for-starskys-torino/ 

I recently purchased a set and they're excellent, 

Joseph also has these same wheels in a slightly larger 1/24th size (U.S. Indy Mags) . You can mix them for a big & little set .

http://www.fireballmodels.info/

These are beautiful wheels and the service is excellent !

Not trying to be rude but the S & H torino rims aren't staggered, that's why Joseph made correct rims & I bought & recommended them :)

Okay, good to correct me, you're not rude at all, I didn't look that close, I assumed they were staggered since the box art depicted that illusion. I'm not using them so figures I should not have spoke so quickly. 

However, several of the older Monogram kits like the Tom Daniels California Vette did come with staggered 5-slots, I used a set on a 67 Camaro recently 

I drew up some for Micro Nitro to make in real aluminum to be direct replacements for the ones found in the Starsky and Hutch Torino but with deeper rear wheels. Not sure when they will be available though?

Not trying to be rude but the S & H torino rims aren't staggered, that's why Joseph made correct rims & I bought & recommended them :)

Okay, good to correct me, you're not rude at all, I didn't look that close, I assumed they were staggered since the box art depicted that illusion. I'm not using them so figures I should not have spoke so quickly. 

Not only do the S&H Torino rims not have the orrectly staggered depths, one pair of them has the lug nuts "indexed" incorrectly - not sure of a good way to describe it, but if you see it you understand.

Not only do the S&H Torino rims not have the orrectly staggered depths, one pair of them has the lug nuts "indexed" incorrectly - not sure of a good way to describe it, but if you see it you understand.

Do you mean the "clocking" of the lug nuts in accordance with the design holes in the wheels, like these?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you mean the "clocking" of the lug nuts in accordance with the design holes in the wheels, like these?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Ben, that's definitely a better description than what I used.

Your pics show exactly what I'm talking about.  Depending on the wheel manufacturer, the 5-bolt pattern could either be aligned with the middle of the slots, or the middle of the spokes, but that's really the only 2 possibilities in the 1:1 wheel universe when you're dealing with 5-lug wheels.

Somehow Revell managed to get the bolt pattern misaligned on 2 of the 4 wheels, one of those things that just isn't going to exist in the real world.  Maybe that's rivet counting on my part, but it's one of those silly mistakes that makes you wonder how they managed to do it (especially because it's wrong on ONLY 2 of the wheels)

Thanks Ben, that's definitely a better description than what I used.

Your pics show exactly what I'm talking about.  Depending on the wheel manufacturer, the 5-bolt pattern could either be aligned with the middle of the slots, or the middle of the spokes, but that's really the only 2 possibilities in the 1:1 wheel universe when you're dealing with 5-lug wheels.

Somehow Revell managed to get the bolt pattern misaligned on 2 of the 4 wheels, one of those things that just isn't going to exist in the real world.  Maybe that's rivet counting on my part, but it's one of those silly mistakes that makes you wonder how they managed to do it (especially because it's wrong on ONLY 2 of the wheels)

I have a feeling few will even use those wheels in the kit as they are too shallow. I can't wait to see how the aluminum ones I designed, turn out! They'll be used on my Starsky Torino build.

I have a feeling few will even use those wheels in the kit as they are too shallow. I can't wait to see how the aluminum ones I designed, turn out! They'll be used on my Starsky Torino build.

Go figure, I went looking to see if Micro Nitro had these rims, ummm I see aluminium rims on the horizon