Model Cars Magazine Forum

Color help... the 3rd

Let me start by saying I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...

I'm looking for a particular color... or a VERY close facsimile... this is the only picture I could find real quick. Any and all help would be appreciated.

1986elcamino.jpg

Edited by KWT
added content

Let me start by saying I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...

Yes, the exact right spot... and thanks for bothering to do so. Way too many members post stuff all over the place with no regard for where they should post. That makes my life interesting, and not in a good way.

Do you have an airbrush? I'll bet I could get DARN close to that color by mixing Testor Teal and Model Master Arctic Blue. 1:1 (or 50/50) should be close, but the formula might require some adjusting one way or the other.

Now that you say blue, it does kinda look that way. I always thought of green lol. Now I'm confused even more than when that dang white and gold dress was all over tv... or was it blue and black? lol.

Edited by KWT

• 2 months later...

Well I believe I've found the color of the el camino, thanks to you guys and your input... so instead of adding a new post, thought I'd just add to this one.

I'm back on the hunt so to speak, this time with a plymouth color... I'm thinking winchester gray? what say ye, mopar guys?

color1.thumb.jpg.5fea1d5c39bf78ca3fed7a1

Thanks, Bill! would you happen to know if it's available in a rattle can? or a VERY close facsimile?

Michael from MCW just announced that all of their colors are now available in a rattle can.

If it doesn't appear in their color line up, they will mix it for you.

Could be a little spendy though.

They do require a 2 can minimum order for special orders in a spray can, so you'd want to plan on painting several models the same color, or going in "halfsies" with a friend. :D

Steve

Thanks, Bill! would you happen to know if it's available in a rattle can? or a VERY close facsimile?

unless MCW makes it.....i dont remember  seeing in any spray can anywhere

You could have it mixed locally. 

im lucky ......A jobber near me that  can mix as small as a 2 ounce sample

• 3 weeks later...

Michael from MCW just announced that all of their colors are now available in a rattle can.

If it doesn't appear in their color line up, they will mix it for you.

Could be a little spendy though.

They do require a 2 can minimum order for special orders in a spray can, so you'd want to plan on painting several models the same color, or going in "halfsies" with a friend. :D

Steve

Good to know. There are times I simply don't feel like screwing with the airbrush or a spray can really is that much more economical.

RE: mixing, most jobbers will now do touch-up bottles or spray cans, ranging from $10-25/each on average.

Charlie Larkin

Adding on to my original post...

I'm on a quest to build some of the cars from my past. With that said, this is the best pic I have of my old 85 Cutlass.

5b266b773ef5b_85cutlass.jpg.d734c9d1d9f58ac5c6e5356bd7bf9f23.jpg

I've scoured Google and bing, but have yet to find one that actually looks the part..Wondered if any of you car guru's can point me in the direction of the correct color... mainly looking for a color for the vinyl top. I remember it wasn't the same shade as the car itself, but may have been just because it had faded... but also curious about the body. Any olds gurus, or restoration guys, or any knowledgeable info would be great.

As always, thanks for looking! And Happy Pappy Day!

Edited by KWT

Thanks for that Steve!

I thought about trying Testors Dark Cherry Pearl for the body. I sprayed a spoon this morning with it and Tamiya Maroon... The Maroon is too bright. And in the sun, it looks really red.

image000000.jpg.74ff0488d7eb824cbf4374b016ccb838.jpg

Need to find a color in a rattle can closer than this...

if its a factory color for the year. Pull it on auto color library. They can mix most any color , put it in a spray can.

Or maybe talk to a good rep in an auto parts supplier local to you. I think most places now a days can put any paint in a spray can.

either decant it and spray thru a air brush , or if sprayed lightly can be sprayed straight out of the can on a model