Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chrysler 300 Convertible. 1/1, Basically Done!

I've decided that since my '65 Plymouth Fury is temporarily stalled, it was time to get right back on the horse & go to work on another project.

This '62 Chrysler that "thatz4u" (Al), was so kind to leave in my possession, seemed like the perfect subject.

I've been meaning to build a '62 hardtop but was never thrilled about the incorrect interior, so it always seemed to wind up on the back burner.

When this original convertible presented itself to me, it got me fired back up to build one.

Especially being as it has my beloved up top included! :P

I've just started "deconstruction" & I'm always amazed at the things you find with these old "built ups".

Some of it literally falls apart, while other areas require a crowbar & dynamite to disassemble.

Examples:

The glass was not glued at all, yet the dashboard was so cemented to the interior tub that I had to grind it out with a Dremel!

The wheel backs were not glued, but the top boot would have remained fastened to the body in a nuclear blast!

The steering wheel is a lost cause!

It could be cut off & reused, but luckily I have 2 hardtop kits that will be more than happy to donate a few parts.

I've already noticed a few issues with the fitment of the up top.

It seems to be too long which would put the boot snap trim right into the trunk lid.

It looks like I'll have to cut some of the material from the front & move the whole top forward.

This in turn will make the rear quarter windows too small, so some more material will have to be removed from the sides of the top.

Luckily, the heavily glue damaged tulip panel will be mostly removed & modified to accept the up top, & the damaged rear package shelf will be replaced.

So in the end, the body is nice, the windshield frame is solid, & the interior tub is the correct one.

All is good with the world! ^_^

I'm leaning towards bright red with a tan interior & either a tan or black top.

Steve

photo DSCN5236_zpskyj2hlfe.jpg photo DSCN5237_zpsagbxpu8b.jpg photo DSCN5238_zpsxfjqiiyq.jpg photo DSCN5239_zpsosagk5go.jpg photo DSCN5240_zps3idcyl9x.jpg

This photo shows the problem with the up top being too long.

photo DSCN5242_zpshz24cyyf.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Nice, would love to find a few these for myself. Growing up we had a couple '62 Chrysler's. How are you going to make a convincing dash, in my opinion the #1 coolest dash ever made? Does the kit have a glass dome over the gauges or is it just flat?

Edited by Mike Chernecki

i'm thinking that maybe the uptop is from another kit?

I don't think so Curt.

The color you see is the color of the plastic.

Neither the body or top are painted & they're exactly the same color.

A lot of these Johan up tops from this era were rather "ill fitting".

I have a few of them & most will require mods to get them to look right.

Steve

The steering wheel is a lost cause!

It could be cut off & reused, but luckily I have 2 hardtop kits that will be more than happy to donate a few parts.

photo DSCN5238_zpsxfjqiiyq.jpg

Not fun - I recently had to remove the steering wheel from my '64 Corvair; I had to go in from the back and that turned into two nights of work with a pick and a #80 drill to get it loose. Finally made a PE saw cut through one side of the mount and that freed it up.

On the Chrysler, if you didn't have a spare steering wheel, maybe shave off most of the mounting tube from behind and make two parallel cuts on the bottom of the dash; that might be enough to free it (planning to do that on my '60 if I don't go with a custom wheel).

Steve,

This is a project that I would love to see done, as I started building models in 1962, and have quite a few 1962 cars for my display and is one of my favorite year of car in terms of styling. Those big Chryslers are some of my favorite cars, and your builds of them are some of my favorites.

I was able to pick up a Modelhaus resin correct '62 Chrysler 300H interior and wheel-covers for a resurrection of an old built-up Johan "USA Oldies" Chrysler 300 kits. I have done the research on the '62 300H and Newport, and I have an idea of the direction I want to take with the ones I have, However, I love rag tops with the top down, so more than likely, I am going to remove the roof from my hardtop. I also have a Revell '62 Chrysler Newport to re-do too. Maybe I will leave the top on the hardtop as is on the 300H.

MamaMeetingSept212013012_zpsb8cff202.jpg

As you can see, mine is not as nice as yours, but I was able to strip it of the red brush paint, and it cleaned up nicely.

Looking at yours, an up-to would set it off nicely, as I like the way it looks with the top up. You are right about how the top sits on the JoHan '62 Convertible. The tulip panel looks to be correct on the body, but side windows are too far forward, as the sail panels are a bit long on the Johan up-top.

Not fun - I recently had to remove the steering wheel from my '64 Corvair; I had to go in from the back and that turned into two nights of work with a pick and a #80 drill to get it loose. Finally made a PE saw cut through one side of the mount and that freed it up.

On the Chrysler, if you didn't have a spare steering wheel, maybe shave off most of the mounting tube from behind and make two parallel cuts on the bottom of the dash; that might be enough to free it (planning to do that on my '60 if I don't go with a custom wheel).

I surely can save it if I choose.

I do these the easy way.

Just clip the column at the base as close to the dash as possible, & then drill out the remaining column left in the dash.

Generally, there's plenty of column left just to reinsert.

If not, steering columns are easy to make. ^_^

Steve

Well, I'm making pretty good progress with this up top situation.

First of all, the boot snap trim has been added to the body, (snaps to be added later) & the rear package shelf removed as well as the wells for the mechanisms cut out.

I'll have to figure out a new package shelf.

Shouldn't be too difficult.

Then some cutting & reshaping of the tulip panel/ rear window area.

Next the front of the top was cut to accommodate it being moved forward.

In the process, I added the chrome strip at the front of the top.

I noticed this from looking at reference photos.

Then of course, the "sail panels" had to be cut back by about a quarter inch to make the side window opening look a little more correct.

What do you all think?

Does it need to be cut back some more?

I'm thinking it looks fairly close.

There are a few things that may need a little refining as I move along, but at least I'm gaining a little.

Steve

photo DSCN5252_zpshqupzfvg.jpg photo DSCN5253_zpsmeprhnkt.jpg photo DSCN5254_zps7nfudge0.jpg photo DSCN5255_zpsxccwtkdc.jpg photo DSCN5256_zps4r6glcke.jpg

Still working on the fabrication part of this project to get ready for paint.

I added the boot snaps today by measuring & drilling out all of the holes in the trim, then made a bunch of "pins" by stretching sprue & applying a little heat to the end of each pin to create a "head".

Then just glued each pin in place.

I may still sand each pin head a little flatter as the domed head doesn't quite look the way I wanted it to.

A small drill hole in the center of each pin might complete that "snap" look as well.

Steve

photo DSCN5258_zpsdzwlxdln.jpg photo DSCN5259_zpsvlnhxxxz.jpg

Ahhh, the "plucked chicken"! That's how the stylists referred to the styling of the '62 Chryslers when they were pretty much "ordered" to get rid of the fins after the rather wild '61's.

Steve this is going to be a real beauty, and interesting thing about the '62 convertibles, they had nearly no tulip panel between the top well and the leading edge of the trunk. That would make things rather daunting for us that like to open up things such as trunks, doors, etc. :P

I'd have to resort to doing this one if I were building it like I did my '59 Impala-------make an inside brace and hinges, and test fit, test fit, and test fit again! You won't be doing that with this one thankfully!

And yes, convertibles to me are ALWAYS incomplete unless there's an uptop to go with 'em! If there is none, I simply make my own! ;) Good job on those boot snaps too!

Hi guys!

Been adding a few more odds & ends in anticipation of getting going on the paint.

I started by eliminating those front "screw posts".

I just can't leave them in there any more!

Then I added the hood "supports" on the inner fenders

I also made a new top for the radiator brace & a panel for the top of the grille shell.

I'm also working on re-inventing the rear package shelf.

I hope to start slinging some filler either tonight or tomorrow.

I would love to be priming by the weekend.

Steve

photo DSCN5260_zpsu3gk6fck.jpg photo DSCN5261_zps1gzywj2h.jpg

Well, there you go again, Steve, making my skills look bad!:P But, seriously, I really love seeing what you do with all of those old Johan Chryslers, this one will be no different!:D

Oh believe me Craig, I'm not a cutter & splicer type of builder.

I've never really been interested in too much of the fabrication part of modeling.

But on occasion, some things just can't go without fixing.

If I were going to use the top boot again, none of the work with the up top & snap detail would have been necessary.

But I just love the profile of a convertible with the top up.

It's one of my weaknesses. ^_^

As far as the under hood stuff goes, it's kind of like trying to dress up a pig.

The engines & chassis were so lacking in detail, that a few added details can at least draw the eye away from the "sore" spots! :D

Steve