Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chrysler 300 Convertible. 1/1, Basically Done!

Cool.     Hey there buddy Make me a couple......dozen.

Lol.

We need some.different kinds of vintage mirrors. All the old Amt kits have the same square generick mirrors in them 

I agree!

The old AMT mirrors are the worst!

I still can't believe that someone like Fireball Modelworks doesn't offer a few different mirrors.

They surely couldn't be any more difficult to do than the carbs or door handles they make.

Steve

http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/fmr-082.jpg

Well, The interior is done!

The rear shelf will be installed at final assembly.

Modifications include, transparent steering wheel, gauge cluster "bubble", resin window cranks & scratch made door lock buttons & rear view mirror.

I also flocked the carpet, opened up the ash tray where the previous builder had glued a shift lever, & added a "300" emblem between the rear seats.

Steve

DSCN5663DSCN5674DSCN5656DSCN5664

Thanks guys!

Beautiful work on that interior Steve !!!!!!  Love that steering wheel,  how did you pull that off???

Randy

Randy.

If you go to the "Tips, Tricks & Tutorials" section and check out my post back in August with the heading "Transparent Steering Wheels" you'll see how I do them.

It's not as complicated as you might think. ;)

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The last of the larger hurdles is finished for this project.

I feel like I'm coming into the home stretch.

I still have a few adjustments to make on the chassis, & a little detail painting left & then final assembly can begin.

I still have my doubts that I will finish before the first of the year, but I see no reason why I should not be able to move on to the next project by next weekend.

Steve

DSCN5699DSCN5693DSCN5690DSCN5697

Edit, never mind . A quick google search yielded they were standard in 60-61, but were made optional in 62 as a short ram version

http://www.chrysler300club.com/letterhistory/History.htm

I did a little research on this early in the process, & found that the Ram intake was apparently available in the '62.

The interesting part is that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that any of them actually made their way into any actual cars.

So if a factory '62 with a cross ram was ever found, it would be rare bird indeed!

Well, that was all I needed to hear! :D

You'll be looking at an extremely rare '62 300 H when it's done. ;)

Steve

waiting to see this one complete!!!B)

It's coming along well Al.

A long 3 day weekend over Christmas helped a lot in moving things along.

I've had a few minor fit issues in relation to a couple of the modifications I made, but I believe I have them pretty much resolved at this point.

I'm still thinking that there may be a possibility that I can finish it before January 1st! :)

Steve

Well I didn't quite make the 2016 finish that I had planned on, but it couldn't have been any closer.

I basically just have the antenna & rear view mirror to install & it will be ready to photograph.

You can expect it in "Under Glass" sometime later on today.

I'm happy with the result.

Steve