Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 ford mustang

charger74

hi

i built this one out of an amt kit released about 10 years ago ( yellow on the box ).  Honnestly that kit is a bit  of a mess. There is no stock interior, no stock front grille, and some other parts that are shown on the box that are not included in the kit. After finding a stock interior, and building a stock grille, i think it turned out pretty good. The decals are from keith marks, and the wheels are resin. Thanks for looking, all comments are welcome

For the grille, i took 2 grilles that where in the kit to make one stock looking grille. I also did the center logo

Very nice job, other than the choice of decals. Those stripes were only used on the '71 and '72 Mach Is. The '73s were different. Other than that, you built one of the nicest version of this kit that I've ever seen.

i know, i wasn't supposed to use those decals, i was supposed to use the mach 1 decals on the sheet ( picture below). But when i started using the first stripe, it ripped in pieces !!! So i went with the other stripes, because without stripes i tought something was missing on the model

i know, i wasn't supposed to use those decals, i was supposed to use the mach 1 decals on the sheet ( picture below). But when i started using the first stripe, it ripped in pieces !!! So i went with the other stripes, because without stripes i tought something was missing on the model

4FC988B2-7612-4112-8E2C-4B11600A50AD_zps

That happens. Bummer.

Pretty good job overall, but man, that's a lotta white! I think it would really cool if you painted the hood flat black like the ones here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1973+mustang+mach+1&biw=1030&bih=566&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwi6pYWa4cHNAhWEOCYKHZr3AwEQ_AUIBigB

i just think its funny that the first picture showing from your link is all white like mine !!!

4FC988B2-7612-4112-8E2C-4B11600A50AD_zps

I have seen1973 :1 cars with the 1971/2 decals on the side

I'll preface my comments by saying I have owned five real 72-73 Mustangs.  Two (yes two of the fifty) sprint convertibles, two 72 Mach1's and a 73 convertible.  As I have mentioned on other threads, there are some resin parts out there from Missing link to fill in the gaps of the AMT and MPC kits.  They offer variations of the stock 71-72 Mach1 Grille, standard grille and I believe the 73 Mach1 and standard grill as well as the correct size 71/72 urethane and 71/72 chrome bumpers.  So, with the "correct" parts one can build a Standard fastback or a 71 Boss, 72 Mach or 73 Mach1.   If one chooses to use the 71/72 stripes (whether an Mach1 or not) the underside should be painted the same color to match the decals.  The hood only came in the flat blackout if the car had ram air.  All Boss 351's had the hood painted black or silver without the tapering like the Mach1.  You can have special ordered a 351 (yes 2 bbl) ram air Mustang in any body style in 1972 with the black hood with of course the NACA scoops.  As others have said, you built a nice model that is sort of a mix of a 72 and 73 which is fine - I see real Mustang owners do it all the time.  I would dab some semi-gloss black in the scoop openings.   The non ram-air cars had a plastic block off plate in the scoop.  Lastly, Scale Modeling by Chris has some nice 351 Cleveland valve covers which would make the engine look more authentic.  As I was typing this I saw you are in South Africa so is the USA we take a lot for granted but model parts are only half a world away.  Keep up the nice work - I wish I had the time to build some of my 71-73's Mustangs to do these kits justice.

Edited by vamach1
typo