Model Cars Magazine Forum

Summertime Chores That Keep Us From Modeling

Ramfins59

Aside from having my usual, yearly modeling doldrums at this time of year, there are a bunch of "chores" that need attention around the old homestead.  Harry once stated that he totally stops modeling during the summer months to attend to all the "fair weather chores" that need to be done around the home.  In the past week I sprayed "Home Defense" bug killer around the perimeter of the house, doors and windows to try to keep the little buggers from invading the place.  I sprayed Roundup weed killer around and in my driveway, walkway, front porch and rear deck to try to keep the "jungle" from creeping in where it's not wanted.  I brought up the deck table umbrella from the basement and set it up in the weighted stand under the table, after cleaning the table.  I also washed off the green, mossy-like film that was discoloring the white PVC railings in spots on my back deck.  

On the inside, I've been wanting to rearrange the furniture in my living room.  I wanted to move the TV to the opposite wall where the couch is but needed about 25 feet of cable wire to do that.  My wife picked that up from Home Depot, but both ends had a "male" connector which caused her to go back for "female" splice connections which solved that problem.  It took me several hours to connect and run the new cable wire around the room which involved swiffering the whole floor, moving the couch, coffee table, 2 oak bookcases, the TV and stand, a recliner and 2 small side tables, plus a couple of lamps.  I was pooped after all that but when my wife came home from work and said that she liked the way it all looked, I was very happy.  

There are still a bunch of things I want to do, like cleaning some windows and glass doors, and cleaning some screens.  Then, when I get REALLY ambitious, I want to attempt to clean up the garage.  There are a bunch of flattened cardboard boxes that we need to take to the town's recycling bin.  There is a 6' X 10' area off to one side of the garage that has become a catch-all drop-off "pile" over the 10 years we've been in this house.  I know it will take many, many hours to go through that "pile" to separate what can and should be kept, and what should definitely be pitched.  I know I'll probably be filling our trash barrel several times for sure.  We'll most likely also wind up buying some sort of shelving unit or 2 to "neatly" store the things we'll want to keep. 

At least I don't have a pool to worry about, or, have to do any yard work (I pay my neighbor's son to do those chores).  

I'm sure that everyone has their own list of chores that need attention during these summer months...... The joys of being a homeowner;).

Procrastination is what kills my modeling time. If I'd just hit the ground running and get things done early in the AM on weekends, I'd have plenty of time to play. Well, maybe not plenty, but at least some. As it usually happens though, I'll futz around on the computer or dragging my feet doing something else...and I can't work on models with a clear conscience and enjoy it when I have things needing to be done hanging over my head...so when I finally get around to getting the necessities done and finished, it's late and getting to the bench seems like more work instead of fun.

1. Lawn maintenance

2. Landscaping. This is apparently the year we add trees and shrubbery to the backyard. And some additional stonework and shrubs in the front yard.

3. Weather and activities. With the nice weather here, we're out in the evenings doing outdoors stuff. Hiking, walking, riding the bikes, etc.

4. Weather and lounging. Summer evenings, firepit. No need to expand on that.

5. Vacation. Taking off for two weeks.

6. Band practice. The band is back in action and we practice semi-regularly now. Plus I practice/noodle at least an hour every day.

Model building is simply one of the many hobbies I don't seem to have enough time for! But I make time when I can. :)

For me it's the garden. Right now it's kale madness. I just cut a bushel, and that's after cutting it way back one week ago. So now I'm freezing kale like there's no tomorrow. Sure will taste good in the winter, tho. Soon it will be cucumber madness, then beet madness, then tomato madness, etc. I'm not complaining, it's all some fine eatin', and I sure do like to eat!

For me it's the garden. Right now it's kale madness. I just cut a bushel, and that's after cutting it way back one week ago. So now I'm freezing kale like there's no tomorrow. Sure will taste good in the winter, tho. Soon it will be cucumber madness, then beet madness, then tomato madness, etc. I'm not complaining, it's all some fine eatin', and I sure do like to eat!

Mmmmmm...If I was getting fresh-from-the-garden vegetables rather than modeling, I'd consider it time really well spent.   :D

Wow. I'm behind in my lawn cutting, bush & tree trimming, grill cleaning, installing edging blocks, spreading more mulch, making doctor appointments, and a number of other things. At least I won't run out of things to do. I also try to attend a few car shows & cruise nights as well. Guess I won't be doing any car modeling this summer. Oh well.

Flowers. Lots of flowers. When I started dating my wife, one of her cousins told me that to win her I had to bring her plenty of flowers. I could not afford daily FTDs, so I started with wildflowers in the back yard. Things evolved from there, especially once we got married. She now attends to indoor plants, and I choose, plant and care for the front and back gardens.

Last year, she suggested I try tomatoes, since I had some luck with peppers two years ago. Now I am back to just growing flowers. For a few years, I was big into irises, but last season they all took sick. Now I focus on daylilies and container plants.

I have Roundup to spray and the Kudzu is creeping up out of the ditch on my lower yard and I need to spray that and kill it back until September. Two hedges that need trimming. Each chore I have gets done slowly due to my disability of walking and seems bigger then they are. It has been 93 and 95 but with the Humidity its been like 107 out there. Plus no rain in 3 weeks. Grass is brown. I do pay a guy to cut the grass. My wife and I have some more things to do but that has to wait till Fall...

Quote: 2. Landscaping. This is apparently the year we add trees and shrubbery to the backyard.

A SHRUBREEEEE! Bring us a SHRUBREEEE!                 Little bit of The Grail there. Sorry. Had to do it.

I got lots of house stuff to do too. Mount sinks. Build brick columns for the patio posts. Put in an irrigations system. Trim trees. Pick up doggy poo. The list is endless.

You retired guys crack me up!   I have been on a tough project at work and am way behind on everything I need to do around the house.  Try being away from home 60 hr a week between work and commuting, then having enough energy to do chores!   I do have a lawn mowing service, but I take care of the gardens, trimming and plantings. I do have a pool that needs to be maintained daily too.  I just paid for an oil change because I haven't had a chance to do it myself.

I haven't touched a model since NNL East because I've been too busy.  Still, I don't model during daylight hours in the summer months.  

This year is also compounded by my daughter's upcoming wedding which has taken up a good deal of time.  

(and I'm only typing this now because I took a lunch break from forced labor!)  :blink:

I'm busy with work, but try and stick to a 40 hr week schedule.  I have a yard service and pool service, but the big distractions in the summer are grilling (though I eat out a lot w/ all the great restaurants in my neighborhood), and swimming...I try and spend a 1/2 hr to an hour in the pool every evening relaxing... I do buy models and sometimes glue the engine halves together..;)   I figure I won't get seriously back into building models until I move and set up a proper modeling room.