Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otto Ray Sing Classic Model Car Sales

I like old car dealership showrooms and thought that I would like to build a small one.  I placed it in my Otto Ray Sing Classic Model Car Sales collective.

I feel the best dioramas are those that have a history to them.  In this instance I've relied on some of my own.  During the late 1960s to mid 1970s, my sister worked for and eventually became manager of the local movie theater and drive-in theater in our hometown.  I had the fun of running projectors at both theaters.  Both those theaters are now long gone, but I've incorporated my fond memories of them into this diorama.

In the beginning Mr. Sing had purchase a used car dealership from a couple that wanted to retire. 
With the purchase complete, he chose to go into a different direction and start selling collectible cars.  The lot was rather modest, with display limited to maybe 20 cars on a gravel surface, a one car garage for repairs, and a small office.  It wasn't much, but it was a beginning.    Mr. Sing eventually found a building that would provide space for two vehicles where he could perform more involved servicing.

Things were progressing quite well as the business grew and he saved money for proper, more fitting accommodations.  However, as is so often the case, government regulations intervened.   Newly elected government officials decided to enforce an ordinance that had long gone ignored to the point of becoming forgotten.   It stated that all automobile dealers must have a showroom.  This sent many used car dealers scrambling including Mr. Sing

There wasn't much available, but he found an abandoned movie theater in what had been the central business district.  It was not large, but with some imagination he could make it work.

Used_Car_Lot_b_and_w.thumb.jpg.7a9d0c5e9

The little lot as it appeared in the mid-sixties.

edited_group-14.thumb.jpg.bf2643fb1a75a6

A larger garage added to a much higher quality of work while at the same time making working conditions more bearable

edited_group-15.thumb.jpg.be46cbf2eb2a40

Remember the days when we were teenagers and had a crush on the "hot chick" that was at least ten years our senior.   Here in the larger garage a young kid leans on a broom telling the classic car appraiser some of his favorite stories, which she knows are all lies.

edited_group-16.thumb.jpg.6483e90d120416

After a hard days work, there's nothing like a good blues jam session to wind down.

edited_group-17.thumb.jpg.9f15870b2dedbf

How many people does it take to change a license plate?

edited_and_watermarked_(1_of_7).thumb.jp

The Tall Pines Theater is now Otto Ray Sing Classic Model Car Sales.  Mr. Sing has a respect for community history as well as a love for Art Deco, so he was very careful to retain as much of the facade as possible.

Otto_Ray_Sing_in_location-1.thumb.jpg.7a

The location may not be perfect, but there is now a showroom nestled between Popazit's Beauty & Figure and Scianda's Clothing for the Elegant Woman.

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

edited_and_watermarked_(2_of_7).thumb.jp

The law stated that he had to have room for two cars, and he just qualifies.  In the back the floor had to be leveled and several more cars are on display where patrons once sat to watch the latest movie offerings.  On the second level, offices reside in what was once a balcony.  The walkway that looks like it goes to nowhere actually led to the outside door for changing the marque.

edited_and_watermarked_(3_of_7).thumb.jp

The area under the stairs is perfect for displaying vintage car dealer posters.

edited_and_watermarked_(5_of_7).thumb.jp

Not only are posters for sale, but so are vintage dealer brochures.

edited_and_watermarked_(6_of_7).thumb.jp

Mr. Sing even kept the tower lights in operation.65_Mercury_Park_Lane.thumb.jpg.bc5fac6f8

It's not perfect, but it works, and as the company's success continues to grow, someday Otto Ray Sing Classic Car Sales will have the proper facilities that Mr. Sing dreams of.