Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Motown Missile

caine440

Nice progress so far...I love them old Pro Stockers. B)
I think you know already but for those who don't, the wheelbase on the Challenger is 2 inches longer at 110" and the 'Cuda only has 108", so to be correct you have to lengthen the chassis 2 millimeters behind the front seats to get the front wheels centered in the wheel well.

What Challenger chassis would you use Kevin?
The Jo-Han or Revell S&M 'Cuda chassis are IMHO the best options if you want to do a 70's E-body Mopar Pro Stock car.
As far as I know there are no 1:25 scale 1970's Challenger Pro Stock kits out there with a decent chassis and drive train, and except for the wheelbase differences the chassis are the same for both the 'Cuda and Challenger

Edited by Force

I have no idea, that's why I asked the question. Did the real Challenger in the first post, use a 'Cuda chassis? I don't understand.

Basically they used the same chassis. Challenger's and Cuda's are both E-bodies and other then a small wheelbase difference would be almost identical chassis wise.  in 1/25th scale they should interchange without much trouble.

I have no idea, that's why I asked the question. Did the real Challenger in the first post, use a 'Cuda chassis? I don't understand.

No it had a Challenger chassis, the Challenger and 'Cuda chassis are as Steve says pretty much the same except for a slight difference in wheelbase, the Challenger chassis is 2 inches longer than the 'Cuda wich equals up to slightly over 2 millimeters in 1:25th scale.

Edited by Force

Basically they used the same chassis. Challenger's and Cuda's are both E-bodies and other then a small wheelbase difference would be almost identical chassis wise.  in 1/25th scale they should interchange without much trouble.

Great, thanks.

No it had a Challenger chassis, the Challenger and 'Cuda chassis are as Steve says pretty much the same except for a slight difference in wheelbase, the Challenger chassis is 2 inches longer than the 'Cuda wich equals up to slightly over 2 millimeters in 1:25th scale.

So, if they're very similar, who wouldn't a Challenger chassis work OK, or is the "Cuda chasis in the Revell or Johan kits just detailed better, and that's the reason someone would use it? I have a Revell Challlenger here, and as I recall, the chassis seemed OK, at least to me.

Yes a Challenger chassis would work fine if you could find a good one, but there are not many good ones available for 1:25th scale.
Revell has two Challengers, the old Monogram 1:24th scale T/A kit and the diecast based 1:25th scale one, the 1:24th chassis will not work on a 1:25th car, and the diecast based chassis is a bit crude and you have to cut loose the engine bay from the body to use in the resin body as it doesn't have one.
The thing about using either the Revell Sox & Martin '70 'Cuda or the old Jo-Han Sox & Martin '71 'Cuda as a base for an E-body Mopar Pro Stocker is that you get most all the parts needed to do an early 70's Pro Stock car, if you use any other model as a base you have to source many parts like the engine with all hop up parts, wheels and other things needed from other kits.

Love this car.  Built it back in the 70's as a kid.  Don't know which company made it. 

I was doing research and learned the team had to change the name of the car due to "Motown" being a registered trademark of some record company.  :)

The reason for the Cuda chassis is simple, The kit already has all the Pro Stock goodies in it and the Challenger kits do not.

I have used the Challenger kits before and they take a bit more work as they do not have much tire clearance in the rear. And you still need a donor motor and other parts.

Vintage Mopar drag cars are kind of my thing as they are all I build.

Thanks for looking.

OK, the inclusion of all the parts for the Pro Stock version, is a perfectly clear reason to use the other chassis. Thanks for the information. I'm not real sure if I'll ever do a Pro Stock Challenger, but if I do, I'll refer back to this thread. Thanks again.

Put some primer on the body and found a few more areas that needed filling. The joys of resin.
Will wire the motor tomorrow and work on the ride height.
DSC02975_zpsopflny6p.jpg
DSC02978_zpsiythgrx1.jpg

Slowly getting there. The headlights, bumpers and taillights have me worried but time will tell.

Edited by caine440