Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kustom Khrome! You Gotta Get You Some!!

I just got back my re-plating order from the guys at Kustom Khrome & all I can say is.....WOW!!

This stuff is better than the best kit chrome you've ever seen, no kidding!

With all of the parts you see, I found maybe 2 indiscreet, tiny specks of dust under the chrome.

Otherwise, it's as smooth and shiny as you will ever see!!

The biggest complaint I've had about "Chrome Tech" as of late is their under coating.

Most of the chrome I had them do years ago was absolutely beautiful, but in the past few years, they've been spraying their undercoat way too heavy, leading to a few problems with adhesion & detail hide.

Price wise, it's a little more expensive than Chrome Tech, but then again, I always used to mount my own parts which is not an option with Kustom Khrome.

Chrome Tech offers a mounting service as well, so when you factor in that price, it's pretty much a wash.

One of the best parts is turn around.

I shipped my parts on May 31st.

I received my parts today, June 24th.

Right around 4 weeks.

I can't remember ever receiving my parts in less than 6 weeks with Chrome Tech.

So, in a nut shell, if you're looking to have some parts re-plated, these are the guys to do it!

Believe me, you will not be disappointed!

Steve

photo DSCN5244_zpsnonw5qrs.jpg photo DSCN5249_zpso9c0uxdq.jpg photo DSCN5250_zps0wspznly.jpg

They mount the parts for you? How much do they charge and where are they located?

Yes, they prefer to do the mounting.

Prices depend on the size of the part.

Bumpers are $4.00, wheel sets are $2.00 etc.

I spent a little over $120.00 to chrome these parts for 9 kits. (about &13.00 per kit)

They are located in New Berlin Wisconsin.

I assume YOU strip it and do your parting-line removal and whatever repairs are necessary first, correct?

What kind of repair material can they plate over, and what grit sanding is required in worked areas?

Yes Bill, I do all of my own prep work prior to shipping, including a good washing.

I had a few very small areas that needed a little filler, but they were very small.

I just used "Squadron Green" in the repairs I did.

They do recommend a clear coat over filler, but my repairs were so small I took a chance & was not disappointed.

They recommend no sanding or filling of course, as all of these platers do, but they know you're going to do it, so they ask that you use at least 1000 grit, or buff with ultra fine steel wool.

Also, will they plate resin parts or parts with body filler?

Yes, they will do resin parts, but it states explicitly in their flyer that they will not guarantee results of resin parts.

I had 2 resin bumpers done & I will say that they did not turn out as nicely as the rest, but they're not bad either.

Steve

OK, you did everything but put up a webpage and/or phone number.

They look good, can't wait to see you put them to use.

No web page.

They deal through e-mail or phone.

When I started my first order, they were having issues with their e-mail accounts.

Not sure if they have resolved that issue or not but you can try e-mailing Bob @

bobspaintetc@gmail.com

Or Rick @         

shepinski@yahoo.com

But basically Bob just told me to prep the parts, pack them, include an inventory & a check & mail it to them.

They would take it from there.

Trying to email them for price lists & full instructions would probably be the best place to start though.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve! I have a bunch of parts I need plated and was gun shy to send them out after I got my last batch back from The Little Motor Kar Company!

Did you have problems with LMK?

I had always heard good things about them.

Never tried them though.

I think you'll be very happy with Kustom Khrome.

Best stuff I've seen in a long time!

Steve

That's hilarious!

Pretty sure I saw that sketch when it was new, but I had forgotten about it.

Steve

They've also done marble columns and chandeliers, but I couldn't find those on youtube. NBC is pretty anal about controlling their stuff.