Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decant tamiya can

Yes you can.  That's why you decant in the first place - because you want to run it through an airbrush.

You should decant only as much paint as you're planning to immediately use and no more.  The stuff evaporates even if it is in a "sealed" jar.

I'd decant in a glass bottle.  The contents come out COLD from the can and I'm not sure if that might crack some plastic containers.

There are a few excellent videos on Youtube on how to decant paint.  Have a look at them if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Edited by showrods

Yes you can.  That's why you decant in the first place - because you want to run it through an airbrush.

You should decant only as much paint as you're planning to immediately use and no more.  The stuff evaporates even if it is in a "sealed" jar.

There are a few excellent videos on Youtube on how to decant paint.  Have a look at them if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Thanks for the answer, i know that why yo do it, just asking if its good for primer too

I saw videos, must of them are  decanting the whole can in once, let it sit some time to evaporate(something about the chemicals in a rattle can) 

And than sealed it in a glass jar(what the difference between these and ready  for airbrush lacquer like zero paints /gravity colors? If those not evaporate in their jar, why tamiya does?) 

And how much ml there is? ~40?

I decant and airbrush all of my spray can paint into airbrush bottles, and have not had evaporation problems. I have 2 ounce bottles of Tamiya white and gray primer at the ready, plus Testors wet look clear.

I put a little additional Tamiya lacquer until it has 2% milk consistency. To decant the paint, I hot glue a drinking straw to a spray can nozzle, then let the paint gas out for a couple of days.  Slowly open the lid about every 8 hours to let some propellant out.  Be careful- the paint will gush out everywhere unless you just crack it open and then wait a bit to remove it. I clean the straw and nozzle with cheap lacquer thinner and occaisionally have to re-glue it.