Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Plymouth GTX - 440, 4 Speed, a Resto Car

Mr. Moparman

Hello all.

Before I dive into this build, I want to kinda "re-introduce" myself. I'm Brandon, and I've been a member here for about 4 years now. I joined back when I was 12, and was totally immersed into modeling. I loved it. I had a passion for cars, and I built them. Mopars are my thing, I love anything really from Dodge or Plymouth, as is evident by the slew of '68/'69 Chargers sitting around my room. Well, I'm 16 now, and the models, have unfortunately been replaced by typical teenager things. I kept all my good finished builds, and I still proudly display them in my room. The unfinished builds, and the new kits, went into storage. I didn't sell my stuff off, because, unlike most people, I envision a day when I will return to this hobby. Right now, however, it's not practical for me to build all the time, and as such, the models had to go. However, I've had an urge lately. It's summer time right now, and I'm not as busy, so I decided to go pull a random kit out of storage (I literally just reached into the box of kits and pulled one out), and build it. Now, I didn't know what I was getting, because I don't remember what I even put into storage. I just want something to do. So, that brings me to this build. A 1969 Plymouth GTX from AMT. When I saw the kit, I didn't really have a solid plan for it, but I've thought about it over the past few days, and I've got some ideas. So, unlike my other builds, I'm not going for 100% "factory-stock". Instead, I want to go for a restored look. Something that a man might build in his garage, with a smaller budget, and still look pretty close to stock. A project car. Not any of this "factory correct" paint, or hardware. Colors are decided by 1, what's affordable, and 2, what looks cool. Performance is nice, but we don't want to blow the budget by cramming in a ungodly engine. So, what we have...

A 1969 GTX kit. For our build, we will be using the 440. Normally, I'd shove a Hemi into this in a instant, but again, we want a fully restored car on a budget. Since most of these cars came from the factory with a 383, or a 440, we're gonna go with the more common motor.

IMG_0771.thumb.JPG.6d91ff2e7667b0783f6a6

I see that AMT is now including the pad-printed Goodyear tires in the newer kits, but mine doesn't have them. So, I went and picked up one of their supplementary parts packs to give me the tires.

IMG_0772.thumb.JPG.fe0f914808962fcdd2f81

For our paint system, I've decided to go with a unusual color. I've chosen Testors Lime Ice, which is not a factory Plymouth color, but I like it, and it will be one more step towards liberating myself from the B5 Blue craze that I used to have. I'm topping the Lime Ice with Wet Look Clear.

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.e37be25bb39e560ad2494

I've also got a few other goodies for this build, like a M.A.D. distributor, some BMF, and some brake and fuel lines.

Thanks for looking,

Brandon

Edited by Mr. Moparman
Incorrect Engine

I've edited the topic because I just discovered that the six-pack was not an option on these cars. It wasn't added till 1970. Luckily, the kit does include the standard manifold and 4bbl carburetor, I just need to source a regular 440 style air cleaner. I think I've got one somewhere. 

Have fun and way to think ahead by not throwing out or giving away all you modeling stuff! I, like a lot of others wish they had never done that. Even any bad builds should be kept cause some day you'll want to revisit it and do better. I had a whole bunch of stuff in the 90s that I tossed and would love to have again.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Today, I put in some marginal progress to the GTX. I don't really want to rush it along, so I've just kinda piddled with the engine. Now, I want to point something out for you stock 440 builders out there.

This engine as it sits would run just fine, because EVERYBODY knows that the 440 left the pushrods and all its guts exposed under the intake. (Sarcasm level 10). For some dumb reason, AMT has decided to leave out the plate that goes between the block and intake. I'm not sure what it's called, I know on my real life '98 Ram, it's called a "plenum" with some parts catalogs calling it a "valley cover" or "top plate". I only know this because I've replaced the dern thing twice. (not fun) At first, I thought this was a simple one kit issue, but it appears that it's not, because even the box art model is missing it. Oh well. Anywho, so I assembled the block and painted it. There was some internal debate about the color, all of the reference cars I looked at were Street Hemi Orange, while the Mopar guidebook I have shows all 1962-71 B/RB big blocks being painted in Chrysler Turquoise, with the "High Performance" option on the 440 being the only exception. I could not find any difference between a "regular" 440 and a "high-performance" 440, so I sprayed it Street Hemi Orange. Carb was done with aluminum and a black wash, a fuel line was added by using a electrical resistor as the line/filter, and then the MAD distributor was put on and wired up.

IMG_0774.thumb.JPG.b633406a5d43f19b56a26

IMG_0775.thumb.JPG.89c29cc36c54b168ad2e2

IMG_0776.thumb.JPG.b2af46dc35c59773bae62

The fan belt assembly coming together. Still need to add the alternator and do some touch up to the belts/pulleys.

IMG_0777.thumb.JPG.5e8b8b25186e2787636c9

I've also painted the transmission and detailed the linkage.

IMG_0778.thumb.JPG.4aa96cb8b181ae05c5c75

I started on the body, because I like my paints to gas out for a good two/three days before I start handling them. So, I shot the body with two coats of Duplicolor auto primer, and then sanded down the rough spots. Another two coats tomorrow, and if it looks good, I'll let it sit overnight and then shoot color the next day!

IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.42877bf79b157ead6b35e

Anywho, I'm tired, so I'll cya tomorrow!

Brandon

Cool car! Will be keeping an eye out for this one Brandon. That Wet Look gloss lays down a really good lookin' gloss but don't freak out when you're spraying it on because it will horrify you to look at all the bubbles that'll pop up. My current build looked like it had the dang measles at first! I thought sure I was going to be throwing the whole body in brake fluid to strip the paint job. I went back to my paint drying booth with my head hung low about 5 minutes later and every thing had leveled out and it looked perfect. Just a heads up that whatever disaster it looks like after the initial coating with that stuff that it'll end up being ok.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Today, I put in some marginal progress to the GTX. I don't really want to rush it along, so I've just kinda piddled with the engine. Now, I want to point something out for you stock 440 builders out there.

This engine as it sits would run just fine, because EVERYBODY knows that the 440 left the pushrods and all its guts exposed under the intake. (Sarcasm level 10). For some dumb reason, AMT has decided to leave out the plate that goes between the block and intake. I'm not sure what it's called, I know on my real life '98 Ram, it's called a "plenum" with some parts catalogs calling it a "valley cover" or "top plate". I only know this because I've replaced the dern thing twice. (not fun) At first, I thought this was a simple one kit issue, but it appears that it's not, because even the box art model is missing it. Oh well. Anywho, so I assembled the block and painted it. There was some internal debate about the color, all of the reference cars I looked at were Street Hemi Orange, while the Mopar guidebook I have shows all 1962-71 B/RB big blocks being painted in Chrysler Turquoise, with the "High Performance" option on the 440 being the only exception. I could not find any difference between a "regular" 440 and a "high-performance" 440, so I sprayed it Street Hemi Orange. Carb was done with aluminum and a black wash, a fuel line was added by using a electrical resistor as the line/filter, and then the MAD distributor was put on and wired up.

IMG_0774.thumb.JPG.b633406a5d43f19b56a26

IMG_0775.thumb.JPG.89c29cc36c54b168ad2e2

IMG_0776.thumb.JPG.b2af46dc35c59773bae62

The fan belt assembly coming together. Still need to add the alternator and do some touch up to the belts/pulleys.

IMG_0777.thumb.JPG.5e8b8b25186e2787636c9

I've also painted the transmission and detailed the linkage.

IMG_0778.thumb.JPG.4aa96cb8b181ae05c5c75

I started on the body, because I like my paints to gas out for a good two/three days before I start handling them. So, I shot the body with two coats of Duplicolor auto primer, and then sanded down the rough spots. Another two coats tomorrow, and if it looks good, I'll let it sit overnight and then shoot color the next day!

IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.42877bf79b157ead6b35e

Anywho, I'm tired, so I'll cya tomorrow!

Brandon

Brandon, your GTX build is very exciting for all to see, and thanks for posting all. .....one thing I would like to point out, if you don't mind,,,you may find it a little tricky to install your exhaust manifolds now, as your ignition wiring blocks the way to mate with the ports. big inch wedge Mopar engines have the plug wires routed under the manifolds and then up to the cap......not being a critic here, just thought that may help......the Ace....:D

Well, the paint has been flying today and progress has been made.

I started the morning off by finishing up the 440. I'm rather pleased, as this is probably the nicest engine I've built. For those wondering, yes, the coil wire will eventually get connected. I'm gonna mount a MSD coil on the firewall somewhere.

IMG_0781.thumb.JPG.04751b3d90c4ab1cad630

IMG_0782.thumb.JPG.fa0d6fb6a5a6c4863b144

I moved on to the "doghouse", hitting it with the body color and then picking out the molded in lines with various blacks and some aluminum for the straps. I still need to paint the backsides of the fenders semi-gloss black.

IMG_0784.thumb.JPG.2a60241d78693e879d50e

I started on the chassis. Normally, I'd hit it with primer and then simulate the "factory overspray", but since this is supposed to be a replica of a "diy resto" car, I went for semi-gloss black. I drilled out my spots for the brake line, and ran it. This will eventually just terminate at the rear axle.

IMG_0785.thumb.JPG.fddbb5010472fc4beee09

The color is on! I hit the body with two final coats of primer, let it sit for about 3-4 hours, and then shot it with three coats of Lime Ice.

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.fb0e0795a314b81a97f7f

Tomorrow, I will mask off the lower parts of the fenders and hit them with Blazing Black, for a cool two-tone look, then clear the car with my usual three coats of clear. The factory option for the car would just be flat black after clear, but I'm saving the flat black for the tops of the fenders and the hood.

IMG_0787.thumb.JPG.38618b16bc50ca3bd8d0d

Thanks again for looking!

Brandon

Looks good Brandon! Can't wait to see it with the clear on it! That Blazing Black is a lighter shade of black than I'm used to but given the metal flake paint you're using it should work good.

Agreed.

Thanks guys! As we speak she's going outside to get some more paint!

Today saw meager progress as I spent the majority of the time painting the body.

I did start out by gluing the engine bay to the chassis, and then painting the backside of the inner fenders semi-gloss black.

IMG_0788.thumb.JPG.e19d2a1df3bd143f61921

Here's a mockup with the 440 in its home.

IMG_0789.thumb.JPG.c92a6e3ffa8e1bb8c8e09

I moved on to detailing the Magnum 500 wheels. After detailing, I glued them to the wheel backs (this kit doesn't really like the wheels to stay in the tire), and then put the finished wheel/tires back into the box to protect them until needed.

IMG_0791.thumb.JPG.85a160e083376bc030635

And then finally, paint. Here, the body has had two coats of Blazing Black applied to the lower part of the shell, a coat of clear, then the decals, then another two coats of clear. I may give it another coat as I'm not quite satisfied with the level of shine on the sides of the body. The top looks great, but the sides still look a little dull.

IMG_0792.thumb.JPG.6c8aec0ca30dd68d51d5d

Shiny!

IMG_0793.thumb.JPG.c12176f22be1c730c8fb5

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned because we are shortly gonna start on the interior!

Brandon

No progress tonight as I've been busy all day with other business, but the down time did give a chance for all the paint work on the body to cure and gas out, so hopefully tomorrow I can start on the front suspension and get the performance stripes painted onto the fenders/hood. Keep the comments coming, it's an inspiration after being gone so long!

Brandon