Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '30 Model A coupe w/inline 6 - final update 7/24

Jantrix

Seeing as my employer, Honeywell Aerospace, has seen fit to give the entire corporation a seven day furlough :angry:, I think it's a good time for a week-long build. And since the new Revell '30 Model A is just begging to be violated ;), it's gonna be my victim. So far the build plans are thus. Channeled version, no question. Install a Chevy straight six from the AMT '51 Chevy. The dual carb manifold will be modified to handle a four-barrel carb, and the centrifugal supercharger from the new Revell '57 Fords will added. I'll likely scratch build a header. To get the Chevy to fit will require a new tranny and motor mount and the chassis will get stretched 1/4 inch just after the steering box mount location. I'll build some new pulleys and alternator/supercharger brackets. I'll likely use the Model A grill, but it'll be painted. I'm planning a dark matte metallic paint and the engine will be painted in a contrasting color. Wheels and suspension will be from the Model A kit, but I'm going to try to get the nose down a bit.

So as you can see I haven't been thinking about this at all. :lol:

20160618_151654_zps3e1grngx.jpg

20160626_114221_zpsrseuulef.jpg

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

Looking good. The winter 2014 issue of Overkill magazine had a 1927 hot rod with a six and paxton blower. You might want to take alook if you have it.

Nope. I love those specialized magazines like Overkill, but they are very expensive for a sub so I don't partake. Thanks though.

I'm still working on this but nothing worth posting. Humidity is effecting the paint/primer so it's taking longer.

Looks like a good start. Can't wait to pick one up myself. Since you are going to use the model a grille, I don't suppose you would be willing to get rid of the 32 grille and shell?

Edited by zaina

Since you are going to use the model a grille, I don't suppose you would be willing to get rid of the grille and shell?

Honestly, I'm not fully committed to either grill yet. But I do have a grill and shell from the roadster I'd trade ya. Shoot me a PM. 

Some work going on. All the silver pieces will be getting a light wash do bring out the detail and bump up the realism. I'm going to use the stock oil bath air cleaner as my air box receiving air from the Paxton. Exhaust is something I've given a lot of thought to. Rather than spend oodles of time coming up with scratch side dump headers, I've used the AMT headers and I'll be adding exhaust pipes that will drop down under the cab and exit just after the drivers front door kinda Nascar style. Lets face it, zoomies and side dump headers have been done every way imaginable and in my eyes that's reason enough NOT to do it. 

Still planning on suede metallic black with decals. 

The first clearly detailed w.i.p. I've seen of this kit. The bare metal interior bits are especially nice and should be a real hit with modelers. Great bench shots and nice crisp work you're doing! I'm surprised the chassis needs stretching since it's already out there to accommodate the roadster's big nailhead (assuming it's the same as the roadster kit, of course). Should be a sweety!

Edited by Bernard Kron

It's amazing. A solid week of no work and I was unable to get more done. It's like one life-problem arose after the other, one family obligation after another. Oh well, such is life. 

Bernard, it's a terrific kit. It sure did need a 1/4 inch stretch. Not only for the longer engine but the extra set of pulleys that are needed for the Paxton. Even so, when all was glued together and painted, I have just a hairs breadth of space between the lower pulley and the front cross-member. More soon. 

Well since the furlough is over but the model ain't I figure it's time to change the thread title.

Everything is going together well. I have the modified the original oil bath air filter to be the air box on the top of the carb from the Paxton. I'm going to use a standard cone air filter for intake unless someones got a better idea. My exhaust idea is going to be scrapped. The rear ladder bars are hard to work around. So back to the drawing board on exhaust.

Pics tonight.

Some work today. First off, my test spray of my Duplicolor metallic black blushed big time even when sprayed indoors in my booth. It's just too humid. However, the Modelmaster lacquer red that I put on the dash, looked great. So we do some quick thinking and decide on Testors One Coat Rootbeer Brown, as it goes nicely with the red engine and I've come up with something usual but complimentary for the roof insert. After I decide on decals, I'll be shooting the body with some flat clear for that suede look.