Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford 3-Window Late 50's Rod

Dennis Lacy

This is my first finished model since September of last year! My projects are usually pretty heavy on modifications and fab work so I decided to take a break from those and throw something together that would go pretty quick and fill another spot in my display case. 

I used mostly Revell '32 Ford series parts for ease of interchangeability but deviated with a little back dating by replacing the disc brakes with early Ford drum plates, skinny bias-ply front tires, rear mags & slicks from Monogram's Lil' Coffin, valve covers with Moon breathers from Revell's Mazmanian '40 Willys, a parts stash log intake and 6 carburetors from Ed Roth's Tweady Pie T. The body was channeled and got the louvered trunk lid from the Revell '32 5-Window grafted in. For interior I used the 5-Window floor, pleated bench seat and '40 dash with pleated side panels from Revell's '32 Sedan and a parts stash Bell Auto steering wheel. 

For paint I decided to use up a bunch of partial cans that were laying around which include some Testors 1-Coat Fiery Orange, Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer and various shades from Tamiya.

B)

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

And a parting shot with another channeled but not chopped '32 3-Window I built about 8 years ago right when I got back into the hobby. 

Hosted on Fotki

That's pretty cool! B)

I suggest a black wash on the grille for a little more depth and detail.

Looks like it has had a "wash"..very tough to do nicely on these..grille bars are very thin and shallow.

Unfortunately, photo etch grilles are the only ones that really look good. Fortunately there are beautiful ones availble.

Edited by mike 51

Looks like it has has a "wash"..very tough to do nicely on these..grille bars are very thin and shallow.

It does have a wash, although it came out a little thin and the camera flash isn't doing it any favors... 

I guess it'll have to be, "Good enough for the girls I go with."

B)

photo24-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Looks really cool. What color you use on the carbs?

Thanks! 

The carburetors received multiple steps. First, they were primed in Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer, the bases painted black and the bodies painted Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust. They were then sealed in Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear. After that the scoops were painted bright silver and the throats touched in with flat black. 

These carburetors represent mid-late 30's Stromberg units which had black painted cast iron bases and natural colored pot metal center bodies and tops. Some carburetor restoration places coat them in a color similar to what I used on the model. It's not correct for an exact restoration (and I would never do it on a real carburetor, haha) but I like it on my models because it adds some accent and interest. 

B)

A straight up hot rod with far more attention to detail and skill in execution than it's no-nonsense appeal would imply. The improvement in the stance is the result of some judicious tweaking, and the execution is meticulous throughout without ever calling attention to itself (your discussion of the carbs above is an example). IIRC, adapting the 5-window louvers to the rear of the Revell 3-window is nowhere near as straightforward as it is on the roadster or even the '29-'30 Model A decks, because of a significant difference in the width of the trunk opening. In any case the shot of the red and gray cars shows that while you've always had your own unique style you've added some depth and subtlety which is well demonstrated in this fine build.

Regarding the black wash on the grill, I too have been frustrated by the lack of responsiveness of the Revell grill to simple black washes. The expense and complexity of the p/e grills has kept me coming back to fighting the good fight to get them looking right in plastic, but so far it has eluded me. Others have succeeded so I know it can be done. My frustration is compounded by the fact that, as you point out, it's especially difficult to get them to photograph properly.

A straight up hot rod with far more attention to detail and skill in execution than it's no-nonsense appeal would imply. The improvement in the stance is the result of some judicious tweaking, and the execution is meticulous throughout without ever calling attention to itself (your discussion of the carbs above is an example). IIRC, adapting the 5-window louvers to the rear of the Revell 3-window is nowhere near as straightforward as it is on the roadster or even the '29-'30 Model A decks, because of a significant difference in the width of the trunk opening. In any case the shot of the red and gray cars shows that while you've always had your own unique style you've added some depth and subtlety which is well demonstrated in this fine build.

Regarding the black wash on the grill, I too have been frustrated by the lack of responsiveness of the Revell grill to simple black washes. The expense and complexity of the p/e grills has kept me coming back to fighting the good fight to get them looking right in plastic, but so far it has eluded me. Others have succeeded so I know it can be done. My frustration is compounded by the fact that, as you point out, it's especially difficult to get them to photograph properly.

Thanks, B!

You'll probably be surprised to know that I made no modifications to the suspension that would change the stance. It's all a result of the rubber rake and channeling the body which makes those big slicks tuck right up into the wheel wells. 

The 3-Window trunk lid is not only wider and slightly shorter, it's on a softer curve as well. I had to manipulate the shape of the 5-Window trunk lid to match the curve of the body then fit it in while leaving the original molded panel lines to the left and right intact. In the full scale world it would not be practical or plausible to alter a 5-Window lid into a 3-Window, or vice versa. Good thing we work in plastic!

I've had better success blacking out between the grill bars using a black Sharpie and quickly wiping away the ink from the tops of the grill bars with my thumb. I learned that from our young friend Florian Dylinski (from TRaK). You gotta be quick, tho! I would have done it this time but my Sharpie is MIA. Most likely my toddler is to blame... 

B)