Model Cars Magazine Forum

Halloween truck

Roadrunner

OK, I thought I’d finally get a start on my first holiday vehicle (in this case a truck), by beginning my Halloween themed truck. For this project, I’ve selected the AMT ’53 Ford pickup. Colors will (naturally), be orange and black. I’ll depart from what I’ve generally been doing, by using Tamiya lacquers on it, as I‘ve seen others use it with such great results.

When the entire display is done, I anticipate, at a minimum, bales of hay & pumpkins, perhaps a scarecrow, skeleton or ghost, a couple of headstones, and perhaps some bats as well. Fog might be nice too, using some Angel Hair or cotton; that will take some experimentation though.

This will be an on again, off again project for me. If I had planned better, I would liked to have finished this before Halloween this year, but that doesn’t really seem doable at this point. I’ll also be doing a Christmas truck (amongst others), following similar concepts, but it will be finished by this Christmas, of that I’m quite confident.

Well, Joe, I'll probably end up scratch building the hay bales, bats and pumpkins, and I learned how to make a really cool ghost a few years back. Very little, if anything, other than a base, will be purchased, and I'll just grab one of those at HL, as they sell a dozen different sizes and styles.

My first Pumpkin. A little large perhaps, but I was just playing around here. Most of my sculpting tools are put away for the moment, so I just used a mechanical pencil instead. I'll obviously need to mount each individual Pumpkin, to be able to do more accurate work.

This kit is a good base for lots of possibilities. Despite the exesive flash on mine, it's becoming one of my favourite kits.

Can't wait to see what you do with this one

Actually, mine is not too bad, flash wise. Besides, trimmed off flash mixed with some liquid cement, makes a great filler.

It seems like a very nice model so far. It came with some just gorgeous tires too, but they're whitewalls, and I certainly won't be using them on this model, but I'll hang onto them for something else I'll eventually do. Lots of extra goodies too; welding tanks, wrenches and such.

I've always liked the idea of the Halloween trucks. I really like the idea of a Christmas vehicle............:hmm: You'll have to elaborate on the details.

Will be watching where you go with this one Kevin.

I'm naturally assuming green and red as the primary colors, with lots of presents, a Christmas tree, perhaps a snowman, and who knows what else. Just an idea I've been kicking around for a while now.

I am also a big fan of the old AMT '53 Ford pickup.  One of my favorite old kits..

And for Holiday Models,  here's my '55 Chevy Christmas Tree truck as it annually sits in Christmas Village.

MVC-014S

And the big secret... the original vehicle that inspired me was a truck full of pumpkins for Halloween. It was originally going to be that truck, but I got close to Christmas so I went with that theme.

I am also a big fan of the old AMT '53 Ford pickup.  One of my favorite old kits..

And for Holiday Models,  here's my '55 Chevy Christmas Tree truck as it annually sits in Christmas Village.

And the big secret... the original vehicle that inspired me was a truck full of pumpkins for Halloween. It was originally going to be that truck, but I got close to Christmas so I went with that theme.

Very cool, Tom, I like it. Do you have photos of the Pumpkin truck?

• 4 weeks later...

Halloween or Christmas i will be following Kevin...

I'm considering doing a high resolution scan of some Christmas paper I have here, so that I can print it off small, and wrap a few small presents for the truck bed. I'll quite possibly source a small tree too, or possibly just build one.