Model Cars Magazine Forum

Danny, if spray cans are for you, as they are me....there is nothing better than their sprays. best on the market I would say. lots of variety, outstanding clears in gloss, semi gloss, flat...and a great pearl gloss for that hot rod, street machine, drag car builder. yes, they hurt the wallet some, but once you use them, I'm sure you will be pleased. as far as getting 2-3 cars from one can, that's a stretch for sure. 2 if you just have to paint 2 basic bodies. but, if you need to paint extra body parts, for example an engine bay like in many Mopars,,,etc...one can will leave you some over to start a new build, but usually not enough for a second build. I've been using them since about 1992, and even though the Testors new lacquers  are nice as well, they are not the overall quality of the Tamiya product. hope this helps...the Ace...;)

Edited by AC Norton
text

The fact that Tamiya paint is computer generated.You could go months between purchases,buy the same color and it will be the same color.I don't know if that is true of other companies.

good point, Bob,,,but I can tell you with certainty that Tamiya sprays are identical in color years apart, as I have used it from the early 90s, and even have sprayed whats left in a can years later, matching it up to a fresh can, and they are perfectly identical.............the Ace.....;)

Do not listen to any modeler who says that Tamiya paints are not worth the money you spend on them. 

As for how many 1/24-1/25 models you can paint with one can, there are many variables that will determine your results; however, three model cars sounds like my results, or maybe even four because I usually decant the paint and shoot it through my airbrush. Their paint covers plastic supremely well and rarely requires more than a couple of coats for complete coverage. 

Buy it; use it; sing its praises! All hail Tamiya paint! 

Another vote of favour for Tamiya!  I use their paints (and their adhesives and putties)  almost exclusively , and have for 20 years+ .

To add to the fanfare ; I have two bottles of Tamiya paints which are now 30 years old , and theyre just as good as they were the day I opened them in 1986 !     Expensive , but worth every cent !