Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've had several complaints through emails and other feedback about the photos that I post of my models. Some just don't like all the “clutter”, “garbage', and other “distracting” elements that my photos contain. These are terms that have been used in communications. There have also been accusations that I'm attempting to mislead viewers into thinking the models are real. Considering that my talents aren't very high, maybe I should take that as a compliment.

I guess that I owe some apologies here. It is not my intent to mislead anybody in any fashion. I place the models into real life scenes, because that's the way that I remember and appreciate them.  In my home, I've only got room to display around 200 cars and about 50 trucks, so the vast majority of my models are stored in boxes. I build them, take a few photos, and depending on where they fit into displayability, they are either placed on shelf or stored. By photoshopping the models into a real life setting, I get more enjoyment out of the photos that I take than a car just sitting on a table or shelf. These are the same photos that I display on forums. I felt that others would enjoy seeing the models as they saw the real cars back in their glory days as much as I did. I was blind-sided and quite shocked at the level of agitation that these photos caused.

Since I didn't feel that they were actually dioramas, I placed them in the under glass section. This caused several viewers great distress because they wanted to see the model and not the (expletive deleted) stuff around it. I removed the offending posts, and then made the mistake of placing them in the diorama section. I was informed that I was unfair to those artists that spent hours constructing their dioramas, and that what I was posting was not a diorama.

I've since removed all of the posts that caused agitation. I do once again apologize for my lack of consideration of the feelings of others. I would like to post some of my models again and I'm now in the process of trying to develop a disclaimer warning viewers that the model in the post will be in a real life setting, and to not proceed if this is going to cause them distress.

62_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_hardtop-2.thumb.j

This is one of the photos that caused problems.  I just thought that it was a nice way to display the model.

Your photo's are about as close as i'll probably ever get to seeing that beautiful countryside, so seeing your OUTSTANDING builds set against such scenic backdrops is a small treat in my book!!! Keep up the good work, sir!!!B)

Edited by bismarck

This is a hobby and the way we pursue it is our own prerogative.  That being said I have always thought our objective in building models is to make them as lifelike as possible.  If we choose to display them in a lifelike setting and they cause someone to take a second look, then I believe we have accomplished that objective.  Many of the models posted here are staged in a diorama to give them a more lifelike appearance, so where are the whiners on those?  I would much rather see a model posed in the fashion you do them than one sitting in the middle of a cluttered work area which some do.  Once a model is finished it deserves being displayed so it is the center of attention,  OK rant over, continue posting in the manner you do and let the cry-babies go to the corner and suck their collective thumbs.  

Interesting that all of the posts here are supportive and none of the "complainers" have stepped up and commented. Hopefully that is a sign that they have re-thought their complaints and realized the error of their ways.

Complainers like that tend to lurk in the shadows to see the reaction to their complaint! If no one agrees, you will never know who said what, but if everyone agrees, then they are the first to make it known that they said it! Now, if names were to be named...<_<

Strange that people would complain to you. Sometimes I find images to be confusing that are shown on the workbench with all kinds of tools and paints in the background, which I think sells short all the hard work, but that's not up to me. I think your "Photoshop Diorama" approach is just fine; I also think that detail and other shots on a seamless background, as Harry mentioned, would be good in addition to the PS approach.

Doug, I enjoy our hobby as well as Photography. I don't have an expensive camera,but I try.

The ones that complain about your pictures are most likely jealous. they try to bash anothers work to make themselves feel better.

I think your models and pics are GREAT and PLEASE don't delete any of your pics.As someone else said,delete the messages instead and ignore the crybabies that sent them.

But in my opinion, the model should be the only thing in the photo.

yasmin-1_ww_model_pic.jpg?1424998554

Happy now, Harry? :D

No apologies are necessary, Doug. Ignore the gavones in the cheap seats. It's nobody's business to tell you how you should present your models.

Complainers like that tend to lurk in the shadows to see the reaction to their complaint! If no one agrees, you will never know who said what, but if everyone agrees, then they are the first to make it known that they said it! Now, if names were to be named...<_<

Yup, this critic hid in a private message.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they created a new ID just for that purpose.  I once had someone send me a very nasty PM and when I clicked on it to see the profile, it had already been deleted.  

IMG 0028

Your work has inspired me to create some realistic type photos.  Here's the setup I created as my first attempt

IMG 0025

But nobody was buying it with my cast of characters!  :P

Edited by Tom Geiger

....You have got to be kidding me?!?!?!??!? complaints on you postings?!?!?!? , Doug your models look great and the background/scenery just adds that much more to the post,I think it just adds to make it more real like and period like as you have displayed in some......as mentioned before it's funny none of the "critics" have come forward here but only in PM's,gotta love them PM's,I know I had my share a while back.....Doug by all means continue the way you have been posting as I as many of the others stated enjoy your work and creativity....

People actually chose to complain that you used a background? i'd love it if you would name names. I'd also love to see what they've been able to post and contribute.

Part of me now wants to post a photo background for everything I finish, just to annoy the elitists.

I don't normally respond to post of this nature, but it has happened to me as well, but like I told the offenders, you do your thing and I'll do mine, cause if we all did your thing it would be a boring world. Keep On Posting!!!!

Robert

While I wouldn't actually go the trouble of displaying a model in a 3D diorama, I do like the idea of a display that adds to the history / image / environment. My thoughts on one model that I have yet to build, the 1/16 Mercedes SS...

While the kit is supposedly based on a 1927/28 SS, it more closely resembles a 1933 version owned by German theatrical impresario Willy Forst. This shot was taken at Lake Zurich.

I was thinking of making a base that included a roadside wall, with this shot of Lake Zurich made into a poster as a background (it's a VERY big file).

This is the way the kit looks when built, as incredibly modeled by the late Martin Swire.

I built that model, too. Sorry, no background...;)

MBfinal9_zps9589e674.jpg

MBfinal7_zps7ecc545c.jpg

MBfinal5_zps232c776a.jpg

An Awesome and very astute approach, which I liked the first time around. Surprisingly for such a rare car with only one remaining example, this kit can be built in a multitude of variations based on archive photos -- or your own imagination.

This is a bunch of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you should be able to post it how ever you feel like. You get 10 people here from the forum and take them to a art studio I bet you could not get them all to agree what pretty picture is. By God the moderators need to step up here and tell all those sissy whiners to be quite. If you don't like his picture move on!  

While I personally would prefer to see more angles of the models you build, I would never be so presumptuous as to try and dictate to a fellow member how they should or should not post thier completed models. Your work is outstanding and the level of creativity and work that you put into your photos cannot be denied. Ignore the complainers and keep posting your work as you see fit. While I may not comment on your work, I will always take a look just to see what creative backdrop you have created and how you have staged your model within that setting.