Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've had several complaints through emails and other feedback about the photos that I post of my models. Some just don't like all the “clutter”, “garbage', and other “distracting” elements that my photos contain. These are terms that have been used in communications. There have also been accusations that I'm attempting to mislead viewers into thinking the models are real. Considering that my talents aren't very high, maybe I should take that as a compliment.

I guess that I owe some apologies here. It is not my intent to mislead anybody in any fashion. I place the models into real life scenes, because that's the way that I remember and appreciate them.  In my home, I've only got room to display around 200 cars and about 50 trucks, so the vast majority of my models are stored in boxes. I build them, take a few photos, and depending on where they fit into displayability, they are either placed on shelf or stored. By photoshopping the models into a real life setting, I get more enjoyment out of the photos that I take than a car just sitting on a table or shelf. These are the same photos that I display on forums. I felt that others would enjoy seeing the models as they saw the real cars back in their glory days as much as I did. I was blind-sided and quite shocked at the level of agitation that these photos caused.

Since I didn't feel that they were actually dioramas, I placed them in the under glass section. This caused several viewers great distress because they wanted to see the model and not the (expletive deleted) stuff around it. I removed the offending posts, and then made the mistake of placing them in the diorama section. I was informed that I was unfair to those artists that spent hours constructing their dioramas, and that what I was posting was not a diorama.

I've since removed all of the posts that caused agitation. I do once again apologize for my lack of consideration of the feelings of others. I would like to post some of my models again and I'm now in the process of trying to develop a disclaimer warning viewers that the model in the post will be in a real life setting, and to not proceed if this is going to cause them distress.

62_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_hardtop-2.thumb.j

This is one of the photos that caused problems.  I just thought that it was a nice way to display the model.

I see no problem with the way you display your models Douglas and as far as I am concerned, those that do have to find a way to deal with it. I haven't the time to complete many models these days and I surely don't have the ability to take clear pictures and use photoshop to create realistic and beautiful backgrounds.

Doug, I have no issues with your posts or photos.  I like the effort you've gone to, and enjoy the scenes you come up with.  And I'm sure the vast majority of folks on this board feel the same way.

I'd love to know who are the self important numpties who think they are so important as to tell people what to post on the board.  And what are their building / photographing / posting credentials?  In most cases those who complain the most, build and post the least! 

Carry on.  Don't give them an inch! 

This is strictly my opinion, not any sort of "official" forum rule... but I think the best way to present one's work is for it to be shot against a neutral background, so that the model, and the model alone, is the "star."

That being said, I have no problem with "artistic" photos that may have been Photoshopped, so I don't think you need to apologize to anyone.

But in my opinion, the model should be the only thing in the photo.

I don't see anything wrong with the way you display your models.  Besides it is up to the modeler how to display his/her work.  For those who have voiced their displeasure I would ignore their petty complaining (it is probably more jealousy than anything).  Besides with all of the other non-model BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH on this forum which many of us try to ignore, it is refreshing to see a nice model displayed in such a manner.  Just wish I was capable of doing the same.

Maybe their problem is the car and the background look way too real. I say great job on the '62 and  your photography!!  Oh, and I thought at first it was my neighbors car except his has fender skirts and I know thats not his wife... I see no need to apologize for anything!

That model you showed is great. Showing the models in a way they look real is great. Anybody that complained is just jealous that they aren't capable of doing it. Persoally if it was me I would use the ignore feature on those people.

Please continue to show your work as you have in the past. You have no need to apologize for doing it that way.

And you can put me on record to, I absolutely love your models and your photos. You my friend are a stand up person for offering an apology but I don't think that you OWE ANY ONE an apology. I have seen your posts on models before and you have done nothing wrong. This is my opinion and I'm sticking with it and I'm standing by you and your models. How dare any one email and text you negative statements over a hobby that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I believe everyone has a right to their opinions but sending you negative emails about your models and design of your photos with models, give me a break. Please keep up the great work and Please don't change a thing.  Thank you.     Jeff 

I have no problems with how you display your models. If everyone did it, maybe I would mind, but it's just you and you have a definite style to the overall look and feel. If I saw one of your pictures outside this forum, I would know it as yours. That's good that you have a distinct style.

And I think that anyone abusing you in private messages needs to be reported to the administration here.

Doug - You display the models the way you want to. It isn't for others to complain about it. If they do, shame on them. Most folks love forced perspective photos and comment on how real they look. Your method, in my opinion, is just a variation of that. You definitely do not need to apologize. I just shoot my models, the same models everyone has seen dozens of times, in a plain white light box. I wish I had the skills to use a more realistic background. Continue on sir, you rock.

Who are these clowns that are "bothered" by the way you photograph your models?

Has to be someone who has nothing to do with his day but complain about what others do.

I really wish busy bodies like this would just close their face & mind their own business!

The first thing that came to mind when I started reading your post Doug, was "this is a joke right"?

Photograph your models however you want & I wouldn't apologize to these guys under any circumstances!

I think they owe you an apology!

By the way, The '62 Chevy looks terrific!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller