Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 camaro

carcrazy19

This is going to be tribute build and birthday gift of a 69 Camaro SS that my brother restored about twenty years ago. This is the REVELL 69 z/28 kit. I'm think that I will replace the 302 with a 427 from the COPO kit. The color of his Camaro was black exterior on black interior. This will be my first time painting black so wish me luck cause I know its a tuff color. Right now not much is done, I am just in the mock up stage but this is the look I want to achieve. It will be mostly out of box stock except for the tires and wires.

IMG_0734[1].JPG

IMG_0735[1].JPG

Edited by carcrazy19

I always use flat black with up to three coats of Testors High Gloss clear.  Gloss Black is a pain to work with.  That stance looks good.  I did one just like yours but not a drop of paint (just like I did them as a kid).  

Edited by angelo7

I'd just test some different brands before painting the camaro. Theres a brand by Krylon called Short Cuts it goes on smooth for me and covers real well. You can buy it at Michael's, It's in the big paint section. I painted this Nova with it. Hope it works out for you.

20160305_151253-1.jpg

I know many modelers who have painted black using Model Master Classic Black (rattlecan) and I don't think I ever saw a paint job using that that wasn't spectacular.

I was thinking the same thing. One of our local model car building icons, uses it all the time.

While Model Master Black is a great paint, Tamiya TS-14 Black is again available and my experience has been better using Tamiya. I think you would be happy with either.  

I would second the choice of Tamiya Black. I have always been very happy with Tamiya paints.

It sounds like you have two excellent options for your black paint.

I'll tell you that the Model Master Classic Black, being an enamel, takes a while to dry. Count on not touching it for at least two weeks, and a month would probably be better.

I've never used the Tamiya so I can't speak to that one way or the other.

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I have a few options so I think I will try them out before I paint the body. The other day I was at Hobby Lobby and saw that there was a can of black lacquer from testors has any one ever used that to paint any of there models. I was wondering if there was a difference between Tamiya and Testors paint systems. I would like to use a lacquer based paint system enamel takes too long to cure and I don't think I ever had result that I was happy with when using enamel paints

Edited by carcrazy19

• 3 weeks later...

It's been slow going. I'm not able to get too much bench time. Much of my time is spent with my kids so maybe one or two hours during the week after they go to bed. It is still in the mock up stages but I did finish setting the stance that I wanted. Next I'll start working on the engine but for now here are some pics of what I got. Not a lot of progress but a little something is better than nothing. Also going to try to open up the grill so I was thinking the best and fastest way would be with a dremmel. It will be my first time attempting this so any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_0773[1].JPG

IMG_0761[1].JPG

IMG_0771[1].JPG

IMG_0768[1].JPG

Edited by carcrazy19

Love the stance on the car, looks great! As far as opening up the grille, be careful using the Dremel! I have used some coarse sandpaper (150 grit) on a block of wood  so I can control the amount of material being removed, make sure you take your time unless you have a spare grille!

This is my favorite kit to build, I use 220 grit sand paper to open the grill on mine takes me about two hours. I like to be in control so as not break the grill and hand sanding seems for me the best way. It's time consuming but the safest way. l'm scared the dremmel would get away from me quickly. 

I do that kind of stuff with my Dremmel all the time and have in fact done that grille in the past.

Just go slow. using a barrel sander, make light passes over the back . Don't try to take it all off at once, light passes will get you there.

You'll be able to tell when you get close to being through. You'll be able to see the pattern of the grille where you're sanding.

You can stop before you're completely through and finish opening the holes with a sharp #11 X-acto .

Good luck. 

• 6 months later...

I haven't been doing much work at the bench lately and this project has been sitting for a while. I started getting the itch again to do some building so got back to working on this again not much is done. Before the cold weather started and I took a little brake I was able to get the body painted. The past couple of nights I been sanding and polishing it. For my first black paint job it came out pretty good not perfect but I think acceptable. Thought I share a couple of pics, let me know what you think. Thanks.

IMG_1311[1].JPG

IMG_1313[1].JPG

IMG_1307[1].JPG

IMG_1305[1].JPG

IMG_1308[1].JPG

IMG_1310[1].JPG

Also going to try to open up the grill so I was thinking the best and fastest way would be with a dremel. It will be my first time attempting this so any tips are appreciated.

Anthony, I opened up both the stock and RS grille for this kit using 80 grit sanding sticks. About 3 hours worth of work, but worth it. The RS grille gets very fragile once you open it up, so go slowly, otherwise you'll break it like I did!

Opening kit grilles tutorial

Edited by Custom Mike
Spelling