Model Cars Magazine Forum

All dressed in black: tips for my first black paint job

I'm about to  airbrush  my first black paint job. I understand that be it a 1:1 or 1:25 scale car that black is the most challenging color to shoot.  Was wondering if any of the veterans out there had any helpful hints, tips or guidance that they would be willing to pass on before I attempt to lay down my first lacquer black paint job. I'll be using either MCM our Scale Finishes pre thinned black lacquer. What is the better primer undercoat gray or white? I truly want the final finish to pop.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I just posted this on another thread: "I always use flat black (rattle can) with up to three coats of Testors High Gloss clear.  Gloss Black is a pain to work with".

But airbrush is different, so others will help you there.

I hate working with black too!

As a matter of fact, a while back, I started a thread about a build I was doing called, "Man....I Hate Black"!

I really don't have any inspiration to offer because I work with black so little, but I will say, it's a beautiful color when it's done right.

I use MCW paints all of the time, but for a basic black, I would just use Duplicolor black & shoot it with a rattle can.

It's the same stuff as the MCW paint & Duplicolor rattle cans spray well.

I did a '60 Mercury & more recently, a '62 Ford with Duplicolor black & they worked out just fine.

Steve

I just posted this on another thread: "I always use flat black (rattle can) with up to three coats of Testors High Gloss clear.  Gloss Black is a pain to work with".

But airbrush is different, so others will help you there.

Never thought to do this. I will have to try it.

Shooting black is no different from shooting any other color. It's not magic or evil.

What it DOES do is tend to show up any flaws in bodywork (like wavy panels, because it acts like a mirror, and reflections will not be 'true' if there are flaws in the surface).

It also shows orange peel or dry spray, for much the same reason.

High quality black has a lot of pigment and will completely cover ANY color undercoat. It just doesn't matter. 

Do your prep right, shoot several decent coats, sand and polish it like you'd do any quality paint job, and it will look great.

There's no magic. This is the cheapest rattlecan black lacquer from Ace Hardware. The minor orange peel will polish out.

DSCN0164_zps63f5dded.jpg

Same body after a light sanding and hand-compounding.

DSCN0632_zps0c80f1c8.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Shooting black is no different from shooting any other color. It's not magic or evil.

What it DOES do is tend to show up any flaws in bodywork (like wavy panels, because it acts like a mirror, and reflections will not be 'true' if there are flaws in the surface).

It also shows orange peel or dry spray, for much the same reason.

High quality black has a lot of pigment and will completely cover ANY color undercoat. It just doesn't matter. 

Do your prep right, shoot several decent coats, sand and polish it like you'd do any quality paint job, and it will look great.

There's no magic. This is the cheapest rattlecan black lacquer from Ace Hardware. The minor orange peel will polish out.

DSCN0164_zps63f5dded.jpg

Same body after a light sanding and hand-compounding.

DSCN0632_zps0c80f1c8.jpg

Agreed. Black is my favorite color to shoot, either from an airbrush, or from a can. .A good paint job , no matter what color , depends 99 percent on preparation. You can have a perfectly prepared model, and screw up the paint job, but you CANNOT lay a perfect paint job on a poorly prepped surface, no matter what the color..............'Z'

Ace is absolutely correct about everything.

For airbrushing, my favorite Black is Model Master Classic Black enamel, cut with lacquer thinner or naphtha and polished with Wright's Silver Cream.

But, as Ace says, you can get an excellent black paint job with almost any kind of black paint, if YOU do everything right.

Edited by Snake45

^That looks really nice

Is the top masking tape?

Steve, that convertible top is the perfect finish. What paint?

:lol:

Testors flat black guys, right over the kit plastic.

Then rubbed over with fingers tips.

I've been amazed at how many people I've had ask me how I finished this top.

The answer is so simple that I don't think some people believe me. :P

Steve

photo DSCN4650_zpsapbz2t6x.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

:lol:

Testors flat black guys, right over the kit plastic.

Then rubbed over with fingers tips.

I've been amazed at how many people I've had ask me how I finished this top.

The answer is so simple that I don't think some people believe me. :P

Steve

Steve, you need a better story. Something like.......The room temp has to be exactly 85.2°F, humidity less than 50%, use 1982 Mercedes-Benz black touch-up paint #040, shake the can 102 times, invert can, shake another 102 times, spray 2 light coats, quickly put piece in oven preheated to 106°F for 6 minutes, remove from oven, wait 24 hours, spray one more medium coat and then wait 72 hours before you touch it again. Now, when they ask you if you are serious, you can tell them you are pulling their leg and then tell them the truth. ;)

Steve, you need a better story. Something like.......The room temp has to be exactly 85.2°F, humidity less than 50%, use 1982 Mercedes-Benz black touch-up paint #040, shake the can 102 times, invert can, shake another 102 times, spray 2 light coats, quickly put piece in oven preheated to 106°F for 6 minutes, remove from oven, wait 24 hours, spray one more medium coat and then wait 72 hours before you touch it again. Now, when they ask you if you are serious, you can tell them you are pulling their leg and then tell them the truth. ;)

Ah, so you think I should torture them a little first. :P

I'll keep that in mind.

Steve