Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 Plymouth pickup with airplane engine...

I saw this one and kinda had to take a few minutes to think about it. While I truly appreciate the thought and effort that went into putting that engine in that truck, its not my cup of tea. But I absolutely love the body work. Put a straight 8, or a V-12, I dont care a SMC ^_^, put a hood on it and some side covers. Now your talkin'!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. If you were going to do one in 1/24th ot 1/25th you'd have to scratchbuild and engine.  Might be able to do it in 1/32nd scale if you could find a suitable body.

There are a few 1/24 radial-engined warbird kits around. Not this particular engine, but the Jap Zero and P-47 are both available, for instance.

Kinda expensive donor for just an engine at $60-$150 a shot though.

I'm surprised you don't like this one make? At least that's what I assume from your above statement. Me? I think it's kind of cool.

I don't like impracticality. Airplane radial engines are made to run at a constant, fairly high power level (not much idling or speed changing involved), and to have air flowing around them at 100mph or more all the time. Not really practical for road use at all.

OTOH, from what I've read, you can have a cylinder or two blown completely off and the thing will still run--though it will probably be flinging prodigious quantities of oil around. :lol:

I don't like impracticality. Airplane radial engines are made to run at a constant, fairly high power level (not much idling or speed changing involved), and to have air flowing around them at 100mph or more all the time. Not really practical for road use at all.

OTOH, from what I've read, you can have a cylinder or two blown completely off and the thing will still run--though it will probably be flinging prodigious quantities of oil around. :lol:

Fair enough.