Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Models By Chris (SMBC)

To anyone who can provide info;

A little over a week ago I was searching out "resin pro stock motor kits" online and came across the Scale Models By Chris (SMBC) website and found a real nice 350 pro stock motor kit....So I went ahead and placed an order via PayPal....It looks as if PayPal then withdrew payment from my bank account....Later in the day, as I went back to the site's homepage, a notice came up that said SMBC was temporarily closed down due to health related issues.

I have sent a few e-mails to both SMBC and Detroit Resins Group (their parent company??) asking about status of this order and if they are still open for business but have gotten no response as yet....As I searched further online, I came across a few modeling message boards that indicated that the owner of SMBC was going thru an unfortunate serious health issue....So I'm not sure if I may have placed an order thru an old, outdated link or something....Was hoping anyone on this forum might know what the status of this company is??....Are they still in business??....Again, so far I have not received any replies to the e-mails I sent them.

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First off, thanks much for the info, Very sorry to hear this....Obviously, building models is hardly a priority in light of this gentleman's health situation....Hope he gets well and recovers soon....He certainly produces some fine looking quality workmanship.

But I guess I'm still unsure as to whether they are still currently attempting to fill orders as the last post in that thread was dated Nov. 2015....Could anyone else shed more light?....

Are they still doing business as of June/July 2016?

Edited by Chi-Town Hustler

Lee

I did the same thing as you.  I placed an order for a Trans Body on May 20th through PAY Pal via their web site.   A short time after I placed the order, I saw their web site was closed down.  My money was withdrawn from my account.   I knew Paul was in bad health however, I thought things were getting better.  I wrote to them about my order and the closure of their web site.   They did reply and told me about Paul's health and to be patient as they were trying to do their best to fill previous orders.   My thoughts go out to Paul. 

Jim Polli

Hi Jim;

Thanks much for your reply....Given the circumstances of his health situation, I certainly don't want to be too pushy about something as insignificant as model parts....I was just wondering if anyone else on this board knew of their status or if I should contact PayPal to try and get a refund if they were shut down....Believe me, I'd much rather have that motor because it looked killer, so I think I'll just be patient and wait....Hopefully someone at SMBC will contact me via e-mail and at least confirm the order....Thanks Again....If anyone else has any info, please feel free to respond.

Lee

Edited by Chi-Town Hustler

I placed an order for two kits on March 12, before I saw the post about the health situation. I received my items, sometime in early May, I believe. I don't feel like that was too long, especially given the circumstances. My guess is that you'll get what you ordered. In the post Devilsnake mentions, it's stated that other members of D.R.A.G. are helping him out.

I can't remember where I saw the post, but the other members of DRAG were attempting to help fulfil all orders as time permits between their own orders and helping Paul out. Having only purchased a few of SMBC parts at shows, all I have are quite nice castings. Allow a bit of patience due to the circumstances and I am sure you will be happy when the parts do arrive.

I ordered quite a few parts this Spring prior to seeing the 2015 health issue posts.  I received all of my parts I believe within 4-5 weeks.  Maybe they received so many orders they are trying to catch up similar to the Modelhaus?  

only the home page states that smbc isnt taking orders as of now. however, if you have the saved on a page other than the homepage, you wont see the notice. some orders are coming through that way and since paul is our website guru,  and none of us can fix it , we will fill orders as best we can.

thank you for your patience, 

the d.r.a.g. crew