Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-careering

Having been out of work for the past eight months and not having much luck finding anything, I've made the decision to change careers. I have enrolled at a local driver's training college to get my Class 1E driver's license, which in NB gives me a CDL. It is a 12 week program, four of which are interning with a carrier. The company I've signed up with does all flatbed hauling. Could be interesting!

Good luck with the change, is it local or long hual, long hual can take some folks a bit of getting used to. Back about 20 years ago when I worked for family we ran flats step deck and vans I always liked flats and steps better, even when you do have rain spitting on you from a rouge storm and pulling the tarps out!

Rich

Another skateboarder is born. Good for you! Always tarp with the airflow in mind, strap / chain as tight as the cargo allows, watch your overall height, (no built in limiter, like a trailer roof), and flatbeds can be a great way to go trucking.

Best of luck to you!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. 

I have an engineering degree, but a I've found that I don't like the work as much as I thought I would and the work doesn't seem to like me. In six years I've worked less than four total years. And that's involved travelling halfway across the country anyway  my wife had a stable career so it's not fair to her to uproot the family so I can find a job. Re-careering into something that is always in demand seemed like the best course of action.

As for a progress update, I have gone through the first week of in-class training and now have my learner's permit and air brake endorsement.

• 2 months later...

Wow, its been a while since I updated this thread! I finished my course at the end of August, finished my internship last week and now I've been cut loose with my own truck. I leave for my first trip tomorrow morning, headed to Greensboro, GA.

I was a little spoiled by my trainer's truck. It is a 2015 Kenworth T680, Paccar MX-13 and an Eaton 13-speed.
GnCq5F9RV5iaf30n5LT5TjzbOni5sD-vi.jpg

Some pictures I took during the last four weeks...

A very tight spot I parked a trailer in:
i6jMWQZFGsZEUlOnbpoqJi6-vi.jpg
c-vi.jpg
6XaVQKOybDssF6pGWorGm-vi.jpg

Literal steaming piles of poo at a mushroom farm in Temple, PA

Driving into a building and backing to a dock at the Wegmans distribution center in Rochester, NY:
qLXWw5-vi.jpg

And now my assigned truck. It is a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia, Detroit DD15 and a Detroit DT12. It currently has 621939km on the clock.
m14dwf32mnuVKb2bN3Z8dRY5PwivkN-vi.jpg

Edited by kataranga

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying being on the road so far! I have about 16,000 km in now. I have been down as far as Georgia and as west as far as Iowa. Most trips I get are on the 5-7 days range, usually home for two days. My most recent trip had me out for 12 days. My company is really good at letting drivers decide how much home time they want. 

I got to visit the Iowa 80 truck stop, what a place! Unfortunately the museum was closed when I was there; hopefully I can get back when it is open.

Edited by kataranga

Man, that is awesome.....Glad you've passed everything and are out rolling.....Sounds like you are liking it pretty good, too.....Amazing how you went from engineering to engine steering....I'm happy for you, Bud....May God keep you safe while you're out there on the road......