Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starsky Hutch Torino Revamp for 2016 TV Show - UPDATE 7/13 - Finished

RestoModGuy

I like how this is turning out. The darker richer color of red gives this body style a much better look, and again the stripe looks just right now. The foil looks perfect. The seats are more in keeping with the more sophisticated look compared to "the red tomato".  

You must've read my mind with this build! Love the updated appearance to the Torino. I plan on doing one similar to yours, but not in the Starsky and Hutch livery. Excellent color and the stripe looks waaaaay better. Killer build.

• 3 weeks later...

With everyone recently building the popular S&H Torino, thinking I need to build one of these too, picked one up last week and thought about how awesome everyone's Torino's came out, except they all look the same.

I get it, it's a tribute build, but what if the Starsky and Hutch TV show was today in 2016? I thought about keeping the same theme of their car but give it an updated appearance, RESTOMOD style! 

Honestly I never liked the 74 Torino with the big chrome bumpers and guards, just looked ugly to me. Also never cared for that out-of-balanced design of a "stripe" even as a kid, I didn't think the stripe looked good or worked with the lines of the Torino. 

So here's my rendition of what maybe a revamped S&H Torino would look like in today's TV show. 

1) I did some major mods to the bumpers, removed the ugly guards, shortened and brought them closer to the body and color matched with the body.

2) Redesigned the stripe design to better flow with the lines of the car.

3) Wheels are a modern 20" 5-slot design staggered set up I'm customizing and lower stance.

Love this new Tamiya for curves tape! Best lines ever and zero bleeding... Of course I always spray a light coat of clear before color after taping to minimize color bleed.

IMG_4612.thumb.jpg.521ffceb0423e1e7e61e5

IMG_4613.thumb.jpg.f224b18431a5f9c59f952

Colors and Paint: Duplicolor Electron Current Red Pearl Metallic with Tamiya white primer base and Tamiya TS-25 White Pearl stripes. Four coats of Duplicolor clear over all of it, then wet-sanded 1500 > 2000 > 3000 then four coats of Model Masters Wet Clear and those will be wet-sanded from 2000 > 12000 and polished. I'll post finished polished pictures later.

mock1.thumb.jpg.d13790c3d4e42615f7699dfc  

UPDATE 6/30 Need opinion on chrome

Since I "de-chromed" and modified the front and rear bumpers, the question is should I "de-chrome" the grill, headlight bezels and the taillight bezel? 

Options: 

1) tint them with Tamiya Clear black

2) paint them Black

3) paint them dark gray

4) paint them body color

Also, window and rocker trim, BMF chrome or black?

im1.thumb.jpg.0416ac29d080891786d5387130

im2.thumb.jpg.315552804a67432b0afd89624f

What's your opinion?

Nice color love new stripe may I ask what tape did u use in the middle

Nice color love new stripe may I ask what tape did u use in the middle

Jason, I simply placed two exacto blades side-by-side with a piece of paper between them in my exacto holder, taped a long section about 18" of high-quality masking tape to my cutting board, using a metal straight edge just ran the twin-blades through the masking tape and instant 1/64" stripe tape