Model Cars Magazine Forum

Since I do not have the space to unpack and dig through all my boxes for the Log Truck parts, and I REALLY want to build a big rig, I looked at the top few boxes in the garage and found that two of them were kits. Yay me !   This was the first one in the box and it works for me.  

Somebody already started the chassis, and fortunately its straight enough for who it's for.

I need to fix the corner of one of the frame rails...

...and cut loose the rear axle brake canisters because somebody put them on upside down. lol

Not sure about going with the box art colors even though that would be easiest. Don't take me wrong, I like orange just fine, but it looks better when you see it in Texas. :D

Decals are in great shape. Only one small part missing and it can be added anytime in the future.  So I will mull over the paint scheme while getting the chassis sorted and finished up.

Italeri has done a mistake on the instructions regarding the rear bogie on the Scanias, part 55 is drawn the wrong way around and should be turned 180 degrees to be correct.
The L shaped outer parts on that beam should be above and free of the triangular shaped parts at the rear of the springs and not glued to them for the suspension to work and move freely, parts 47 and 48 is the hydraulic cylinder, part 49 is the pivot that actuates the motion of the lift and part 55 is the beam that pushes down on the triangle shaped parts when you want to put more weight on the drive axle if it's slippery or lift the third axle from the ground when the truck is unloaded.
The way Italeri has drawn it the lift wouldn't do anything as the #55 beam wich isn't attached to the springs in any way on a real truck goes down when the hydraulic piston goes out.

Ita753-05

Here is how it should look to be correct if the third axle (lift axle) is on the ground.

tcab2.jpg

Edited by Force

This is going to be a cool project, for sure....I like this old rig.....And I feel ya about that orange, Man.....I'm sure you'll find a suitable color for this thing..... :D

Thanks for clearing that discrepancy up for us, Hakan.....I've taken note for future reference.....We don't have much by way of Scanias around here to know whether the instructions are right or wrong......

That's why I wanted to give out the correct information,
I know there aren't many Scania's over in the US and has never been allthough Scania has done some attempts to market the trucks in North America from time to time, and nowadays the leaf sprung trucks aren't that common overall as air ride suspensions has pretty much taken over completely.

I grew up with the old Scania's as a couple of my neighbours had them with this exact rear suspension system when I was a kid, one neighbour had a LS 76, a LS 110, a LS 111 and a couple of T 142H's at different times, another neighbour had a LBS 141 (and some Volvo F series after that), and I have built the Italeri Scania's and noticed the misstake right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I do not have the space to unpack and dig through all my boxes for the Log Truck parts, and I REALLY want to build a big rig, I looked at the top few boxes in the garage and found that two of them were kits. Yay me !   This was the first one in the box and it works for me.  

Sam, what is the anticipated schedule of the big sorting out? I'm sure I'll be in the lineup for a few items.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I dropped off the face of the earth. lol  

Thanks for all the info on the correct rear suspension setup Hakan. I saved it so if I start one of these from scratch I can do it right. I would have to cut this one all up and with my current state of busyness I am just going to leave it be. 

JT, guess what, its going to be orange after all. That seems like all I have left in the paint cans. :D

Pat, I have no clue when I will have the time or space to do that yet. My real trouble is I am afraid that I may get rid of something that I may need, due to my ignorance when it comes to big rigs