Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two more iconic cars we need kitted

In the early '80s I worked at a print shop on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, across the street from the Dodge dealer. They had a bunch of new Deloreans on the side lot, literally gathering dust, until John Z.'s scandal hit the news - then they all got shined up and put out front, where they sold pretty quickly. Nothing like a little notoriety to bring in the customers... :lol:

I don't think these kits would sell very well if produced. Like has already been stated, there are already 3 different versions of the Delorean in its Back To The Future form. As for the Bricklin, most people have never even heard of or seen one. The only places I've ever seen it mentioned (besides here) is in lists of the worst cars of all time. I could sooner see kit manufacturers tooling up a Pontiac Aztek and selling it with its Breaking Bad tie in. 

Yep, three versions of the BTTF car. One for each movie. Just saw all three at a hobby store I went to today looking for the Pinto model (no luck there).

Probably take intense work to make any of them into a stock Delorean. The third movie version has train wheels even.  But now you guys have me thinking of something like a Pro Street version. :wacko:

Russ

There are actually MORE than just the 3 kits of the BTTF Delorean.

Polar Lights RECENTLY went that route with their kit,

But Aoshima/Fujimi did that YEARS ago!

They even offered the set of 3 trough both Ertl's Blueprinter newsletter

and a card in the  Then VHS copies of the movies!!

Aoshima re-issued them again a few years ago in I believe 4 versions

Original Wheels, Flying mode, '55 Wide Whites, and Rail wheels

Actually the Original wheels had a lever to flip the wheels to Flight mode

in the AMT Boxed run!!

and I do not think Polar Lights offers all of those options

I do recall Their Flight Mode was a Solid Option and not a Flip of a lever!!

Road Wheels OR flight mode

I only have an Original P-L kit.

Also on the Aoshima kits, All the Body add-ons (Cables, etc) are separate parts added by the builder

so You DO have a chance to try to build a Stock Delorean out of their kit,

while Polar Lights casts many of those parts to the body

P-L also Plated their kit's body

And of course, there are the die cast, so it sounds like a few companies thought it was worth the effort to cut a set of moulds for a Delorean.  Obviously, you'd have to do a little more research, but it sounds like a stock Delorean might be a way to cash in on the interest in BTTF, without having to pay royalties to Amblin or Universal, though whoever currently holds the rights to DMC would probably want their cut.

Bricklins might be harder to justify, though there is one available in 1/43, and this guy will sell you a 1/25 Bricklin, though at $425 a pop, you'd have to want one pretty badly http://www.thebricklinfactory.com/index.html

In my opinion the Bricklin is not a good looking car. I can not see it selling big as a model...

If a model had to be pretty to sell, I can think of a few kits that would have never seen the light of day.

Maybe Aoshima will backdate their Delorean some day into a stock version. I would love it if some company would get on a 50s kick and do some BOP cars, but I would prefer some MEL cars. Mercury's Edsels and Lincolns are my favorites. Also,I wouldn't say no to some standard 2 door sedans and wagons... Hey a guy can dream, right?

In the early '80s I worked at a print shop on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, across the street from the Dodge dealer. They had a bunch of new Deloreans on the side lot, literally gathering dust, until John Z.'s scandal hit the news - then they all got shined up and put out front, where they sold pretty quickly. Nothing like a little notoriety to bring in the customers... :lol:

Interesting; I went into that exact dealership to look at one up close in the showroom...I think they had one painted black as well when I was there. The door was open on it, a brand-new car, and the leather upholstery was already cracking. Horrible quality on those cars, but at least they didn't look like 1:1 scale poorly-assembled plastic models of kit cars like the Bricklin :D

Neither fits into the current kit manufacturers programs.  They are one shot tools, where you can see the manufacturers are choosing subjects that they can get multiple versions from. 

I'd grab the diecast Delorean and I believe the Bricklin is too far past to kit.  But I've been surprised before, and always happy when proven wrong!  

Neither fits into the current kit manufacturers programs.  They are one shot tools, where you can see the manufacturers are choosing subjects that they can get multiple versions from. 

I'd grab the diecast Delorean and I believe the Bricklin is too far past to kit.  But I've been surprised before, and always happy when proven wrong!  

Speaking of mid-engined cars, what about the Pantera or Mangusta, both designed by DeTomaso? 

Speaking of mid-engined cars, what about the Pantera or Mangusta, both designed by DeTomaso? 

Both are handsome beasts.  Fujimi has a Pantera that seems to be readily available.  Bandai made a 1/20 Mangusta, but something a little easier to find in 1/24 or 1/25 would be nice.

I'd love to see up to date kits of these two, and a stock DeLorean. And while we're at it how about new Maserati Merak and Bora kits. Heck, I'll take really anything wedge shaped from the mid 60's through the early 80's.