Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two more iconic cars we need kitted

Bricklins have always gotten a bad rap but they could run with a comparatively equipped Vette made at the same time.  A few performance upgrades would have made a world of difference,, like at least 4bbl carb :mellow:

But then again, they were supposed to be "safety cars" , not performance cars and were aimed at a different market. Makes a person wonder just what we could have had if the emphasis was on performance and they had a few more years to develop the car. 

I've always loved the Bricklin from day 1 but then again I'm prejudiced,  the body panels were made in my tiny home town and final construction was done less than an hour away. Pretty headdy stuff for a 9 year old. ;):D

And warped body panels would be accurate as well!

Bricklins have always gotten a bad rap but they could run with a comparatively equipped Vette made at the same time.  A few performance upgrades would have made a world of difference,, like at least 4bbl carb :mellow:

My former boss has this one, a '74 with an AMC 360 4bbl and about 20k miles; he says it "goes like a raped ape". Looks good in the photos, but up close it comes off as a fairly well-made kit car.

raysbricklin2.thumb.JPG.42b528f74754aa25

raysbricklin4.thumb.JPG.eda2b5dc5e7e6a71

I remember seeing a Delorean at one of those new-car shows way back when...easily the worst build quality of anything there, and there were some other pretty bad ones on the floor that day.

Yup, they're not great. The engines are marginal too, as are the electrical and cooling systems. Interesting, but really second-rate cars. A real shame too, because the mid-engined concept had tons of potential to be world-class. Too many compromises that crept in during the push to build it at a price that could sell 30,000 units a year made it a mediocre car with chronic problems.

The Bricklin is kinda awful too. Like the man says, it comes off like a kit car. Interesting, but another second-rate machine...at least if you've ever driven things like Jags, Porsches and Alfas.

You could make a small fortune with those two kits.  Provided you start with a large fortune, that is...

Agreed. No way anybody could make a profit designing, engineering, tooling, and manufacturing either of those two cars. They might sell a couple thousand of them, maybe... but that wouldn't be enough to cover the investment necessary. Very little interest in DeLoreans, even less so for Bricklins. Like Chris said, Bricklins look like a cheesy kit car.