Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wrecker / Rollback 'steel' cable ?

Hi Gents

I recently picked up a 1;25 scale die cast Chevy Silverado rollback recovery truck.

Whats the best thing to use to replicate steel cable for hauling a busted car up ? I bought the thinnest brass picture wire I could get & will weather it with vinegar & salt. I'm concerned it wont wind around the cable drup ect without wanting to unroll itself ?

Anything better out there ? And just as cheap lol

I forget what this was called but I think it comes pretty close. It's some type of metallic thread that I think came from Jo-Ann fabrics in the clearance aisle. I think it was packaged with gold and silver. Here's a picture of it used on my 34 Ford Tow Truck. I wish I remembered the name so I could be of better help.

Hi Gents

I recently picked up a 1;25 scale die cast Chevy Silverado rollback recovery truck.

Whats the best thing to use to replicate steel cable for hauling a busted car up ? I bought the thinnest brass picture wire I could get & will weather it with vinegar & salt. I'm concerned it wont wind around the cable drup ect without wanting to unroll itself ?

Anything better out there ? And just as cheap lol

Check out the jewelry department at Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's Fabrics. I have gotten vary fine chains there that I used for the tail gate on a pick-up. Something like that may work.    

Check out the jewelry department at Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's Fabrics. I have gotten vary fine chains there that I used for the tail gate on a pick-up. Something like that may work.    

But steel chain isn't going to replicate steel cable.

• 2 months later...

Try Beadalon nylon coated stainless steel beading wire.  It looks like real winch cable and is 0.015" diameter.  Only drawback is that it is very springy and if you don't keep a tight rein on it when you wind it, it loosens up and you have to rewind it.  Use some superglue sparingly to hold it in place.  Here's an example of how it looks.

148.JPG

I've used copper wire from old headphones and ear buds... spray it with high-heat silver paint and it looks like the real deal.

I've used grey Carpet Thread on several cars, for emergency brake cables--it's very convincing for new cable, and has little, if any loose fibers, so it takes paint in case one wants to weather it.

Art