Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Coupe Barn Find Diorama

wrecker388

This is the Lindberg kit from the L-700 Combo. I built the car at school during my art class. I built the diorama in one evening so  I could display the coupe in it during my School's annual art show. They have a tradition of letting senior artists display all of their work on their own table, and since I'm less than great at non-modeling mediums, I chose to display some of my other models, including my shop dio, as well. My art teacher liked the Coupe Dio so much that he offered to buy it. I told him that I'd rather replicate the Patina'd 51 Chevy truck he has instead. There are more pictures of all of my art show stuff in my Photobucket if you're interested. Thanks for looking. Any comments good or bad welcome.

IMG_2655_zpsqwb8doxf.jpg

IMG_2656_zpshz355d0y.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsbp6rffdm.jpg

IMG_2670_zpskymdgefs.jpg

IMG_2675_zpsdnotpxjb.jpg

IMG_2685_zpslkhqpyi4.jpg

IMG_2686_zpsrzlmwwgb.jpg

IMG_2688_zps3lv401kr.jpg

IMG_2689_zps5w1dksfv.jpg

IMG_2690_zps9x2rqgkp.jpg

IMG_2691_zpsysmke2ju.jpg

Edited by wrecker388

• 1 month later...

Is this that bad that nobody has said anything about it in 2 months? Or does nobody even check the diorama section of the forum or what? I'm happy with how it turned out, and would be open to any and all feedback, good or bad. I want to improve my skills but really can't when I'm not receiving any input on things I can improve on. 

This is a great dio and very well thought out.  One of the problems I have is that you may post a picture or an update of this diorama, and before I get back to my computer someone else has posted an update of theirs pushing this one off the page.

Hi Riley, if this is your first Dio, then I think you did a good job. Every build you do after this, you should strive to make each one better than the last. Its attention to details and realism that results in how your work turns out. Things like the tarp you have on the roof of the 40, has a design stamped in it like paper towel, which would not be on a tarp. The way you weathered the car looks like you brushed it on. Check you tube for many How to's on modeling, weathering, etc, or check out some of the other Dio's here, for ideas. I even purchased a book on graveyard and rusted cars left outside for many years to see how the different shades of rust forms, and which areas rust out the most on certain cars. I have been a modeler for 40 years, and had to learn the ropes as well. I was a member of a model car club many years ago, and learned quite a bit from other modelers, as they learned from me as well. I hope you find this info useful, and am confident you will improve on your next project. You asked for feedback, and I was honest with you.

Cheers,

Lance

I think there is too much 'dead space' in the diorama. In other words, too much area where nothing is going on. You could make the base half the size and incorporate the same elements. A diorama needs to draw the viewer into the scene and tell a story. What story are you telling? What in this scene draws me in to look at other elements. The moss seems...well...like moss dumped into the scene. In this scale foliage really needs to look like real foliage. Maybe the rusted 40 could have flat tires, or no rims. Don't forget that basic modeling principles still apply when rusting out car, mold part lines still need to sanded, etc. It looks like a finger print in the rear bumper dent. Every little detail in the diorama needs to build upon itself. See if you can find a book called 'How to build dioramas' by Shep Paine. Although it is geared towards a military modeler he was without a doubt one of the best.

Edited by mrindy77

This is a great dio and very well thought out.  One of the problems I have is that you may post a picture or an update of this diorama, and before I get back to my computer someone else has posted an update of theirs pushing this one off the page.

Thanks Rick. I understand that issue. I was wondering if that was the thing fro a lot of people

Hi Riley, if this is your first Dio, then I think you did a good job. Every build you do after this, you should strive to make each one better than the last. Its attention to details and realism that results in how your work turns out. Things like the tarp you have on the roof of the 40, has a design stamped in it like paper towel, which would not be on a tarp. The way you weathered the car looks like you brushed it on. Check you tube for many How to's on modeling, weathering, etc, or check out some of the other Dio's here, for ideas. I even purchased a book on graveyard and rusted cars left outside for many years to see how the different shades of rust forms, and which areas rust out the most on certain cars. I have been a modeler for 40 years, and had to learn the ropes as well. I was a member of a model car club many years ago, and learned quite a bit from other modelers, as they learned from me as well. I hope you find this info useful, and am confident you will improve on your next project. You asked for feedback, and I was honest with you.

Cheers,

Lance

Thanks Lance. This isn't my first diorama, it is however my first successful weathered diorama. I'm currently working on a 72 Chevy Nova that I'm researching out the proper rust spots and etc. that you mention. This car was honestly built in like 3 days total time, with half of it taking place at my school in the art room, away from most of my tools and weathering gear. I literally built the diorama in one evening just as something to showcase the car in.I din't have my preferred rusting solution, so as you pointed out the weathering is indeed brushed on. I was out of what I would've preferred to use for a tarp on the 40. That was the plainest paper towel I had on hand. I appreciate your feedback, and am glad that you were honest with me.

This is a great effort, keep up the good work, looks like you have taken this diorama on a road trip, or you have an incredibly big work space, with a really nice floor in it.

Thanks Dan. The diorama was in my high school gymnasium. I wish my work space was that big. lol

I see it's at the art show, that is awesome, there is nothing in this world more satisfying than inspiring children, this might be the best diorama I have seen on this sight.

Thanks again Dan. Didn't realize you had commented twice. lol

I think there is too much 'dead space' in the diorama. In other words, too much area where nothing is going on. You could make the base half the size and incorporate the same elements. A diorama needs to draw the viewer into the scene and tell a story. What story are you telling? What in this scene draws me in to look at other elements. The moss seems...well...like moss dumped into the scene. In this scale foliage really needs to look like real foliage. Maybe the rusted 40 could have flat tires, or no rims. Don't forget that basic modeling principles still apply when rusting out car, mold part lines still need to sanded, etc. It looks like a finger print in the rear bumper dent. Every little detail in the diorama needs to build upon itself. See if you can find a book called 'How to build dioramas' by Shep Paine. Although it is geared towards a military modeler he was without a doubt one of the best.

I understand what points you are making Cal. I tried to mismatch the rims to a point, like some are falling off of the tire, some are missing trim rings, hubcaps, etc. It just doesn't really show up in the pictures. I felt that the foliage looked out of place myself. My ground cover reminds me more of a beach, rather than a Farmer's Market in Illinois or whatever the decal I used on the 40 says. lol. Like I said I built the car in a few days time without access to my normal tool collection. Same goes for the diorama. I built it in one evening just as a way to show the car. I appreciate your feedback.