Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 nova revell > barnfind > fully detailed engine bay

crazyrichard

So i bought this kit from a well known dutch seller who mostly by and sells american car kits ...he suddenly advertised with a bunch of > al ready started on < kits ...

price was so cheap i ordered two of the started on kits ... this one i the revell nova cop kit .. it arrived and when i opened it found a complete kit , the body was painted badly with dust in the paint and runners ... but painted thin .

i started by wet sanding the body to flatten it and see what was on it no primer under the paint , body not sanded lol :)

a009423b7abd25259ef9a895a29bda9d.jpg

3e62ffe18bb34eea8a35dc994174d6e1.jpg

all the parts where painted in the sprues , so that will take a tad more , no worry's

8ac5030a55c91b351381a5ddf696c26d.jpg

most important part all the chrome and clear parts where sealed in the bags , never opened also included the ss grille and backside and the stock version

cc426c46601f429fe8bbd54c8c582250.jpg

first dryfitted the front and back , fits well

d889ffe87e56432a47731d5ddcf15b09.jpg

55ce9aeb469ddc55e402d8514eb002e2.jpg

did some research , looked at nova pictures trying to decide on a style ...and desided to cean the body , removed the louvres , side marker , key holes and molded nova on the trunk , whilw doing that with a fine file whole patches of paint came of , so i'm sure i hve this body bare in no time :)

d46e609b82937b94a5c512ac906a5bfe.jpg

style wise i'm not sure , pro street , pro touring , racy track , could keep it more classis but lower with wide classis wheels ...

one picture made me smile .. kind of love this .. not said thats what i'm going to do

817ce6d0dabb0dec782820f7ea4b63fd.jpg

this also look killer

deef0ee476d05594f9d607b2c7d3bc23.jpg

but like said pro street i also on my mind , i tryed some wide tyres .. looks killer

Edited by crazyrichard

yes , but then i made the fender wells thinner from the inside of the body , i usually ue files and take like a few hours to to that .. thought i'd burry out my dremel and on the last fender it went bad i just went a tad to far and the edge was ruined ...

tried to figure out something but then desided it was a loss it went from bad to worse and in the end .. just ruined .. now i'm going to a partially brke down / in restoration nova

now i need !! help i took all the time and managed to cut out the whole front fender panel ... i found a pic of a nov a without the front clip , but i cant find a pic of a nova with just the right fender off (or left) and with the inner gards and all in place ... need to make the firewall like the real thing and close the gap on the side and make like visible hinges behind the door

so anybody got a picture(s) ??

After a few minutes of hunting, I found this online. Hope it helps.

http://www.2040-cars.com/Chevrolet/Nova/nova-chevy-11-project-66-nova-67-nova-68-nova-69-nova-70-nova-duece-446403/

*I just realized this was a 66. It might help anyway though.

yeah its a older one , might be a whole lot different , i hope so because when i see that i realise i might have more work ahead then i thought ...

Wow the Black one is gorgeous. Can you tell us where you got that picture of the black nova from?

pfft not sure jut googled 69's and that was amoung them

just dryfitted the radiator / support and fan schroud today ... all still in the colors of the previous owner lol .. looks like circus is in town hehehe

then sanded those parts and the underside and interiourtub with inner gards .. and sprayed those all in a mix of matt and semi gloss black

underside matte black

interiour matte and engine compartment semi gloss

support , radiator and fan schroud silver and semi gloss black

that sure cleaned it up !

i found a few build pics of this car , firewall shows , sadly my kit version looks nothing like that ... not sure if i can make it exactly like this the way i'm going atm

that said when i really compare my body to the one on the picss the pillars on the side are straight up on the original car and on my revell body they are sloped , talking about the pillar of the small side window on the front door and the doorpillar in the middle ...i think i might get away with making the side closed and make it resemble the round corner of the firewall like the one on the pic ?

here some dyfit pics with the frehly painted parts .. so cloe up the gap on the side maybe use copperplate and mimick those indentations ..

should work .. make visible hinges behind the door .. and figure out where to mount that part on so on final assembly it comes together nicely

9f44a013b85c4f139a0b835d0809daaa.jpg

3ae5a3e267b71e2e113c7d2e28fecf3d.jpg

a6cb07f10a3bfa9830fc854e5711827b.jpg

f6cf92b1b4ddb4ec106af778bada413e.jpg

3ef33eb149de20b3f22da7a994a87e2d.jpg

7be842a3dbcfdcd8e5a5d4577f77abd4.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx guys , i also figured out the nova front wing bolts to the bodyside and front clip ...so no real structure .. the hood rests on the wing edge ..its got inner guards .. so i need to remove the white part going to the front crosmember .. but i'll do that when it gos together.

now i have been playing with removing the grille do a headlight .. only the bumper .. but its best to leave all that off , no lights / grille or  bumper , how the kit is made is far from reality .. the moldings on the side of the headlights need to sit on the wing irl ..the headlights are mounted on steel brackets with the housing over it .. i will just put the engine in and make it all look like its build up , restorated .. and maybe stick it in the garage on the lift .. fixed so its part of my garage dio

Hi Richard,

This is shaping up to be another really cool build from you!!

Somehow I knew you would figure out a way to make it rusty:D:D

Randy

i wanted to do another shiney build but then ....oohh whell :)

i bought two already painted kits btw the other one is a 66 pontiac gto .. that one will be buld a bit like the abandoned charger .. maybe more like it still drives and is rough but restorable .. i dont want to strip that kit from all the painted parts tbh ....

next shiney build def. will be a fresh kit .. i do want to build a nova in the future .. this 69 model all shiney and the older one

Edited by crazyrichard

Richard, the old AMT '72 Nova kit comes with separate fenders, if you could find one (The old issue had the "Old Pro" box art, the current release is the "Beverly Hills Cop" box art), the fender could be used, or you could take the cowl area from the AMT kit and put it on the Revell kit. I don't know how hard that kit is to locate in your area though....