Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1960 Chevy (Refreshed Photos)

David G.

David, that's a very nice finish so far on the paint! Is that GM's '59-'60 Roman Red?  

Body work can certainly test your patience...

Yes it certainly can! I almost gave up on my '59 Chevy for a number of reasons...............glass issues were chief among them. My patience is about to be severely tested again though as a tough project is looming........... :unsure: 

David, that's a very nice finish so far on the paint! Is that GM's '59-'60 Roman Red?  

Yes it certainly can! I almost gave up on my '59 Chevy for a number of reasons...............glass issues were chief among them. My patience is about to be severely tested again though as a tough project is looming........... :unsure: 

Thanks Bill, maybe I'll actually finish it this time around. The paint is actually Tamiya Italian Red.

By the way, I saw your '59 Chevy on the cover of a magazine. It looks fantastic, congratulations!

David G.

Why thanks! I was very flattered to see it on there as LOTS and LOTS of models were there at the NNL East! :o

I was tickled to see it as no one told me it would be!

It's certainly well deserved Bill. I've been following your work on this forum since I signed up in 2009 and I'm always impressed with your work.

David G.

You guys always impress me with your amazing work. Yes Bill, Crazy Richard and now you David. I'm newly getting back into this and I'm so impressed by your work. I'm so inspired that one day, I may be brave enough to post a build here.

Thanks for your kind words G.

No need to be afraid to post your builds here- we'd love to see them.

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I'm not feeling very inspired to finish this one. It's become more of a grudge match at this point. I still may start another build just to get my head away from this one for a while... again.

All that aside, it's time for another update. 

Unfortunately, by the time I was able to get most of the scratches out of the roof I'd begun to burn through the paint on the right front corner.

60Chevy39.jpg.eaaa8257b0e9fe6c3328030ab2d52e1e.jpg

Masking and a re-spray for the roof.

60Chevy40.jpg.9d1c78d2d53e7d6c011bbbb3c313398f.jpg

For all the trouble I've had with this one, I think I can be satisfied with the paint and polish results.

60Chevy41.jpg.02985e0e302102d1d10dc092b57fcfbf.jpg

Sometimes good enough just has to be good enough.

60Chevy42.thumb.jpg.9af99b21c201a23d5e1150dfce87e387.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Must be something with the '59-'60 Chevy David! :D

I had the same feeling when I was building my '59.......more than one issue popped up at different times. The glass issue was the biggest! Your paint is looking really great, and it's no shame if you'd want to take a break for awhile. I did that and ended up building the '67 Mustang as a bit of a breather. It was a bit detailed as well, but not to the extent of the Chevy.

After I was done with it, I jumped back into the Chevy build with both feet and was determined to get it done!

Must be something with the '59-'60 Chevy David! :D

I had the same feeling when I was building my '59.......more than one issue popped up at different times. The glass issue was the biggest! Your paint is looking really great, and it's no shame if you'd want to take a break for awhile. I did that and ended up building the '67 Mustang as a bit of a breather. It was a bit detailed as well, but not to the extent of the Chevy.

After I was done with it, I jumped back into the Chevy build with both feet and was determined to get it done!

Thanks Bill, I'm glad you like the paint. I find that encouraging.

I sometimes feel a little twinge of guilt when I have to turn away and set a kit aside for a while. But I remind myself that it's just a hobby and if I'm not having fun with it or at least getting some form of satisfaction from it, then it's time to do something else for a while.

David G.

• 1 year later...

OK, finished. 

I have a couple of other projects going right now that require some wait-time for paint related matters. So after a year-and-a-half break, it's time to see if I can get this one a little closer to completion. Besides, it's nearly the end of April and I have yet to finish a build.

I've started applying the foil to the brightwork trim.

60Chevy43.thumb.jpg.7fc884d98b211146686db68dd97b939e.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

This Impala looks so elegant in red!

Reminds me of a potential restoration project my dad and I looked at some 20 years ago. It was a 60 convertible, red on red just like yours. We wanted to buy it to restore it back to stock. They wanted something like $3800 and we were so excited to buy it - until we went to see it....

No floors, seats, hood or grille. Trim was trashed, the car was found abandoned in a field and it looked like it should jave stayed there! What a mess.

Yours is what we were dreaming it was going to look like afterwards. Alas, we didn't have that much money or talent to save that one. And yet the seller wouldn't go down on the price! Amazing. 

Thanks for all your encouragement. I feel like I'm finally in the home stretch with this one.

I got the foil work complete and finished some of the detail bits. There's just a bit more to do, then I should get it finished this weekend.

60Chevy44.thumb.jpg.a84a99cd2b4c70cf04d7128e13d09e04.jpg

Thanks again for all your kind words.

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Looks! A view of the trunk liner I made before I mate the chassis to the body for (hopefully) the last time. The trunk does open but, yeah who's really ever going to see it again.

60Chevy45.thumb.jpg.f175ba308a245bce01b1d4f986a02de5.jpg

This is officially done (finally) and moved to the Under Glass section. Thanks to everybody for all your feedback and support- See ya there

David G.

12 hours ago, Geno said:

Man, I love everything about this build, Super Sweet......hey, does that make it an SS lol.?

It does now Gene! Thanks.

10 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good Lord!!!!!!!!!

photo R2D2 Falling Down_zpsjsaumxvc.gif

Joe, I still don't know why I stuck with it all this time.  I think, maybe the more time and effort one throws into a project, the more difficult it is to walk away from it.

David G.