Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

Ron Hamilton

Several years ago, I happened upon a built-up AMT 1960 Ford Thunderbird convertible.

MamaMeetingApril272013001_zpsf751cf94.jp

As you can see in the picture, it was a decent build.

MamaMeetingApril272013002_zps4e616a11.jp

The model looked to be pretty much complete, and best of all, it was not customized.

The chrome is decent, and I do not have to get anything to complete the resurrection.

MamaMeetingApril272013004_zpse8453634.jp

I have decided to restore this one as a cleanup, and color change to a stock '60 Thunderbird color combination, or something relatively close. One of the reasons I decided to do this particular car, is that it is one of the first model kits to have an engine and under hood detail. As far as I know, it is an original annual 1960 AMT model kit, and one of a few that had the engine, which was included in the deal.

MamaMeetingApril272013005_zps6f037d1b.jp

I was able to disassemble the car with no problem, and strip the paint from the body and interior yesterday, using Polly S Paint remover, and it stripped clean. I noticed that the previous owner did a little sanding on the body, and fortunately none of the detail was lost. I have to scratch build a hood hinge, as one is broken.

Due to the historical value of this particular model, I am not going to update it with any 21st century techniques. I want to do a clean build, with a decent paint job,  foil, and interior detailing.

That is a very nice start. You are correct that the 60 Thunderbird annuals are one of the first with the opening hood and engine. The 59 Thunderbird annuals have the hood molded shut just like the promos. So far I have restored four of these, a 59 convertible, 60 convertible, 60 hardtop modified into a sun roof car, and another 60 convertible that the emblems were sanded off and had a 59 interior. I made that one into a 58 convertible with Modelhaus 58 AMT promo parts as no kit was issued for 58 from AMT. I have two more 59s to restore both being hard tops.

Doing these restorations I have had to make a few missing parts. I have molds that I made of the hood hinges and air cleaner if you want resin copies I can make you some.

Looks like a good one Ron.

The AMT '60 Buick was another one of the engine "firsts".

You could really tell it too.

When I built mine, it was obvious that the hood was just cut open from the promo mold.

It literally looked as if it had been rather crudely cut open.

I'll be watching this one Ron.

Steve

Looks like a great find Ron. These were beautiful cars with real character and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I bought a built-up '59 hard-top years ago, covered in flame decals, but unpainted and pretty clean.

Great project, Ron! I'm looking forward to following along. You're right, this kit along with the T-bird hardtop, the '60 Buicks and the '60 Corvettes, were the first AMT annuals with engines and opening hoods. What I really like about the T-bird kit, is that it has a manual transmission! A relatively rare choice for that car!

In addition, what AMT's Squarebirds lack in detail over Monogram's 24th scale kit, they more than make up for with a much more accurate overall appearance.

I think a good portion of the 1960 annauls had an opening hood.

And am pretty sure all the 61s did

The only square bird i have is a 59 convertible builtup

Actually Bill, I think there were very few that had engines in '60.

None of the Johan kits had them of course.

As far as AMT, the Fords, Lincolns, Edsels, Mercurys, Chevies, Pontiacs, Imperials, did not.

The only kits that come to mind that did in '60 were the T-Bird, Buick, Corvette, & the Chevy & Ford pickups.

I may be missing something, but those are the only ones that I can think of.

By '61, all of that had changed.

Steve

I have a rough '60 convertible in my collection... I've seen '59s...AMT didn't do a '58 did they? 

Rob, the only '58 T-Birds I've seen were the ones from Monogram. Not sure about AMT------Monogram's reissued theirs so many times I've lost count! :D

Rob, the only '58 T-Birds I've seen were the ones from Monogram. Not sure about AMT------Monogram's reissued theirs so many times I've lost count! :D

Yeah, I know about the Monogram ones...I've built a couple issues of those...nice kit.  I have the '70s molded in red version and the molded in lt green '80s one.

Actually Bill, I think there were very few that had engines in '60.

None of the Johan kits had them of course.

As far as AMT, the Fords, Lincolns, Edsels, Mercurys, Chevies, Pontiacs, Imperials, did not.

The only kits that come to mind that did in '60 were the T-Bird, Buick, Corvette, & the Chevy & Ford pickups.

I may be missing something, but those are the only ones that I can think of.

By '61, all of that had changed.

Steve

Steve

The more i think about it. I think your correct. 

we are in AZ  this week on vacation so i cant just run down stairs and ck the stash

Steve

The more i think about it. I think your correct. 

we are in AZ  this week on vacation so i cant just run down stairs and ck the stash

Understandable.

I'm going to weird you out a little Bill & tell you that that we're taking our vacation in AZ this summer as well. ;)

Leaving in a couple of weeks.

Steve

That is a very nice start. You are correct that the 60 Thunderbird annuals are one of the first with the opening hood and engine. The 59 Thunderbird annuals have the hood molded shut just like the promos. So far I have restored four of these, a 59 convertible, 60 convertible, 60 hardtop modified into a sun roof car, and another 60 convertible that the emblems were sanded off and had a 59 interior. I made that one into a 58 convertible with Modelhaus 58 AMT promo parts as no kit was issued for 58 from AMT. I have two more 59s to restore both being hard tops.

Doing these restorations I have had to make a few missing parts. I have molds that I made of the hood hinges and air cleaner if you want resin copies I can make you some.

I appreciate the offer Raoul. I have the kit air cleaner, and the hood hinge is so simple, I can make one out of plastic I have.

Years ago, I built one of Monogram's 1/24 scale '58's, which has since turned into a bunch of parts when the glue let go. I never decided to bring it back, as I have another kit that I could build at any time. When I build the next '58, It will be a hardtop.

I have been looking through my Thunderbird reference material, and I marked off the few body part separation lines on the body. I may just cut them in tonight, as I have the body close to being ready for primer. Originally, I was going to cut this one up, and mate it up with an AMT '62 T-Bird to get the added detail in the chassis that this one lacks, but I decided to use the original parts, as they are all there, and I can use the little bit of time I have to getting this one done. At least on this one, I will not have to deal with so many fitment issues inherent to mixing kits.

I figured I would offer since I had made the molds. I had purchased five 60 build ups to get most of what I needed to restore two of the 60s. I also bought three 59s. The hood hinges, radiator, air cleaner and continental kit parts were the hardest to find. So I cast those parts up. Like you said some of the body lines are missing but they look great finished.

I had finished four of the builds and have the two 59 hard tops left. I recently broke a 59 front bumper but just ordered a replacment from Modelhaus. It may be six months before I see it but that is ok. I have had these for years now.

I look forward to seeing yours built up! Let me know how you add the carved lines as that is something I have had trouble adding and keeping them strait.

One thing about working with old kits, you cannot leave well enough alone. Over last weekend, I started clearing out the mould separation lines, and deepening the door and trunk openings, and one thing led to another, I added the body separation lines between the fenders and cowl, the panel that covers the void when the top is down, the headlamp and tail light bezels.

Raoul, the way I did this is that I looked at the reference photos of the car, and drew the lines on the unpainted car with a ball point pen. Once I was satisfied with the shape, I used an  used x-acto knife to scribe the lines into the body, the first one with the sharp end of the knife, and several others with the back side if the knife, working slowly. Once I was satisfied with the work, I leveled everything down with a 4-way sanding stick. I think it came out well.

On the one-to-one, there is a lot of leading, particularly on the front fascia, and rocker panels. Unlike modern cars, there are no seams here. While doing that, I blocked the body, to ensure it was straight enough to take paint, especially around the panel separation, and I worked the hood edges to line up with the fenders and front end.

I laid a coat of primer on the car today, and other than a couple of scratches on one of the quarter panels and a sink mark I missed on the left front fender.

As my funds are pretty tight, I am going to use some paint I have on hand. I am thinking about "accessorizing the car" with some period parts that could have been bought from the Ford dealer's parts department in the early '60's.

The interior is next. I want to just sharpen it up a bit. It is going to represent the standard two-toned vinyl '60 Thunderbird Interior trim.

John, if it was not for seeing your beautiful '59, I would not have gone so deep on this one.

I think that you are going to like this one.

Nice find, I recall in my boyhood my friend having the T Bird kit with the engine and the front hinged hood. amazed at the model, of course done in white plastic, who had spray paint in the 60's, The worst thing was those darn little spring clips used to make the hood work, I was a Vette fan (route 66 avid watcher, what great actors, actresses and writers, it was all the car) and dreaded those clips, always had a nice cut on my fingers from them. glad you have the parts, I was going to offer up an air cleaner. greg

The package tray filler on these cars needs to much bigger than the model has. The interior needs to be trimmed as seen in the attached pix so the filler panel can be the proper size.

1960 Tbird.jpg

John,

You are absolutely right about the panel between the trunk lid and the rear seat. I may attend to that, but personally, I do not want to cut the body, but I may have to attend to the flipper panel, as this bugs me a little. I grew up with the cars, as my uncle had a '62, '64, and '65 convertible, I drove my Dad's '62 Hardtop when I was in high school, and one of my cousins had a '58 Hardtop. The problem is that this is a 56 year old model, and the plastic is quite brittle, and I have already cracked it on a couple of places. It has been repaired, and is in primer now.  I do not want to over work it and crack it again.