Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you listen to while you build???

slusher

Mostly music------Alternative, and every so often an Oldies station playing (IHeartRadio.com). I have a hard time with a TV show playing as for me it's a bit too distracting. I find myself watching the show (or even the news) more than I'm trying to work on the model! :D

Depends on the season, my mood, the time of day, and the subject I'm working on. Instrumental vintage jazz, classical, '50s-'60s rock, big band, club / trance, samba / bossa nova, etc.

Usually only instrumental though. Voices break my concentration, interfere with being in the zone.

My wife - "does paint have to smell so bad", "is it done yet", "do you have to do that inside", "how many more do you need". The list goes on and on.

Sigh......... :rolleyes:

Another compelling reason why I've stayed single! I couldn't stand the drama at this late date. Just the same, kudos to you fellas that have to deal with "why are you doing that??" routine. 

There are times I have to admit that I want COMPLETE silence! No music, radio, TV, cats, people. ;)

Well I must say, the internet has surely improved my music enjoyment while working. Pandora is my go-to. I have everything from Neil Diamond to Bond to Ozzy Osbourne and everything in between. Youtube has been very cool too, as I can que up a complete concert and listen to the whole thing. TV is a distraction, but I love having an auction on. If Mecum or Barrett Jackson are on, it keeps me firmly in the zone. I mostly just listen unless something notable comes up and then I may look up for a minute. 

Silence? No. I don't do silence. My mind wanders too much, it it provides it's own distractions.

The voices in my head. They command me to build what I build!   :P

Actually I usually build without background noise.  I can still hear my wife's tv down stairs so it's not complete silence,  If I do put on the tv or music I totally tune it out and when I look up a different show is on.

Depends on what mood I'm in. If it's in the evening, I prefer something a little more mellow, something to relax me. Portishead or Pink Floyd are two common choices.

If it's the middle of the afternoon, Volbeat or may some Howard Stern on satellite are pretty common choices. 

I don't generally listen to music when modeling, but there are many, many songs from the 1966 to 1970 time period that put me in a modeling mood. I can hear some songs and tell you exactly what models I was building (or wanting to build, or planning to build) when they were on the charts.

I'm a sucker for the Glam Bands(Hair Nation). Poison, WhiteSnake, Dangerous Toys, Mötley Crüe, Def Lep, WASP, Skidrow, Firehouse, RATT, LA Guns, and so on. But I need to focus on something super tedious, I'll mellow it out, some of cheesy love ballads from those bands. I listen to (Octane) Volbeat, Shinedown, Metallica, In Flames, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, Stone Sour, Parkway Drive, and this I'm really diggin on right now, Through Fire. Ozzy's Boneyard, Motorhead, ACDC, Dio, Maiden, Preist, Sabbath, and so on. But I really enjoy the humor on Howard Stern. I know it's crude and over the top. But that's pretty much my sense of humor too.

The last few weeks the TV, the Euro Championship.  Most of the games have been so boring, I'd rather just listen and work on my project.

Music is good too.

Luckily, my wife supports my hobby and is happy to have me at home.  Honestly speaking, I like being at home too.

Lately, I've been listening to podcasts when I build. I like old-time-radio style audio dramas, science-and weird-fiction stories, and NPR's "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!"

Have you listened to "X Minus 1" and "Dimension X"  at archive.org ? Great old NBC radio plays from the '50s with mostly great quality audio. "Mind Webs" is pretty good too. It's from the '70s,I think but the audio quality is kind of spotty.

I've been listening to this for a while now. Heard al the shows a couple times but still good to listen to while building.

https://archive.org/details/XMinus1_A

Edited by Can-Con