Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let`s see some Pro-Touring

Jay's Customs

I`m planning on building a Pro-Touring `68 Charger, but I`d like to see other Pro-Touring cars (or trucks) to know what type of chassis I should use, engine and suspension mods, etc... So post any Pro-Touring model you`ve got, it would be very helpful for my build. Thanks!

Jay

Here's my 68 Custom Charger. Not a full Pro-touring set-up, but maybe some other ideas for you.

Made the two side door "scoops" into a 1970 style single. Added more height to the tail spoiler, added front air-dam

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.cafbd37612dbd1329d2fa

Added rear rocker flip with quad exhaust, molded in the rear 

IMG_0319.thumb.JPG.44129935b29a20d64a450

Molded in the front grill-bumper, looks more like a 1970

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.56afe3a40bd8872f64e80

Revell did an outstanding job on the detail of this kit, the chassis is awesome. I added the twin exhaust collectors for the quad tips

IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.30f6c7ba1672a529a803b

Custom hood with grills

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.e7d8bc3cf5dddbb0ec0cc

Engine cover modification

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.0000ed1e3a40083c0ba46

Here's my 68 Custom Charger. Not a full Pro-touring set-up, but maybe some other ideas for you.

Made the two side door "scoops" into a 1970 style single. Added more height to the tail spoiler, added front air-dam

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.cafbd37612dbd1329d2fa

Added rear rocker flip with quad exhaust, molded in the rear 

IMG_0319.thumb.JPG.44129935b29a20d64a450

Molded in the front grill-bumper, looks more like a 1970

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.56afe3a40bd8872f64e80

Revell did an outstanding job on the detail of this kit, the chassis is awesome. I added the twin exhaust collectors for the quad tips

IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.30f6c7ba1672a529a803b

Custom hood with grills

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.e7d8bc3cf5dddbb0ec0cc

Engine cover modification

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.0000ed1e3a40083c0ba46

Nice smooth body work. Like the heat extractors on the hood.

Use what ever chassis you are comfortable with, if you don't want to build suspension, and old race car or nascar chassis will give you

a great starting point for suspension and big wheel wells, for big tyres, then you just need to make a body fit.  OR, you can go and fabricate a 4 link etc

and open up the wheel wells your self, either way, it will be challenging, but satisfying..   ENJOY..  :)

57 Del Rio, just had to remake the suspension, but kept stock chassis.

SS Malibu with a Nascar chassis.

Another Nascar chassis.

Or use a viper as a donor.

And just late model wheels and some pro charging..

Or this one that had everything modified.

Ill play along..pro-touring with a bit of a twist... Build log here:

Seats are from Clearly Scale, everything I've seen from them looks amazing.. He's also based out of Canada, so that can help you out a little shipping and exchange rate wise.

IMG_9109.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Thanks guys, I really like seeing what others have built. Does the kit's stock rear suspension work well for this, or should I scratch build an independent suspension setup on all four corners? I'm going to use the stock chassis with a modified Hemi (probably supercharged). Maybe I'll even make it look like a Hellcat engine! Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it!

Jay

Thanks guys, I really like seeing what others have built. Does the kit's stock rear suspension work well for this, or should I scratch build an independent suspension setup on all four corners? I'm going to use the stock chassis with a modified Hemi (probably supercharged). Maybe I'll even make it look like a Hellcat engine! Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it!

Jay

I asked the same question when I was building my drift Pacer. From what I was told, was that a dual leaf rear suspension will work if you upgrade it with traction bars (not the slapper bar style) and a panhard bar. 

Thanks Jantrix! That cuts down the amount of modifications needed to be done to the chassis and suspension, I'll definitely do that instead of full independent.

Would a Hellcat engine be too much for it? Or should I just modify the stock 426 with a blower or turbos instead of a full modern conversion? (I was planning on using the kit's Hemi to make the Hellcat)

Thanks!

Jay