Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trivia and/or Brain Teasers

BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH autocorrect. I've gone back and fix that. Thank for pointing it out Snake.

Roy G Biv is kind of a thing with me. I try to do Roy G Biv model collections of various kinds. Trying now to do one of Corvettes, and one of polished, unpainted plastic. I just finished that weird Revell '63 Corvette with the big wheels, molded in bright purple, that I can use in both of those.

Roy G Biv is kind of a thing with me. I try to do Roy G Biv model collections of various kinds. Trying now to do one of Corvettes, and one of polished, unpainted plastic. I just finished that weird Revell '63 Corvette with the big wheels, molded in bright purple, that I can use in both of those.

Roy G Biv? Other than the puzzle I posted, I've never heard of Roy G Biv. What is it? And how does it relate to models?

Roy G Biv? Other than the puzzle I posted, I've never heard of Roy G Biv. What is it? And how does it relate to models?

Roy G Biv is a memory device for the colors, in order, of the visible light spectrum. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

I think it's fun to do Roy G Biv lineups of my models or diecasts.

You can also do a Roy G Biv circle, with the violet looping back around to red. In fact, at the moment I'm restoring an old original MPC '66 Vette painted in a reddish-purple that will be a great transistion from the purple-purple of the Revell '63 Corvette, to red.

Roy G Biv is a memory device for the colors, in order, of the visible light spectrum. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

I think it's fun to do Roy G Biv lineups of my models or diecasts.

You can also do a Roy G Biv circle, with the violet looping back around to red. In fact, at the moment I'm restoring an old original MPC '66 Vette painted in a reddish-purple that will be a great transistion from the purple-purple of the Revell '63 Corvette, to red.

Since the color spectrum has come up, something I've often wondered is How do we see the color Brown? What are it's elemental colors? It's not part of the color wheel................

Since the color spectrum has come up, something I've often wondered is How do we see the color Brown? What are it's elemental colors? It's not part of the color wheel................

Brown is actually a mix of red, yellow, and blue. You can make brown(-ish) from red and green, or orange and blue, or possibly from yellow and purple.

You might have noticed that your dirty paint-brush cleaning thinner is usually a brownish shade.

The mnemonic for the resistor color code is racist and sexist, at least as it was taught to me

The one we used in tech school was Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly.

Here is a nice compilation of bunch of them (including the raicst one).

Form the clean versions I like this one: Better Buy Resistors Or Your Grid Bias Voltages Go West

Not true. The Norwegian word for marriage is "ekteskap". The Norwegian word for poison is "gift". And I'm not kidding about that. It's gift. So marriage and poison are not the same in the Norwegian language.

True too!

Did you look it up?

It is true that "ekteskap" is a Norwegian word for marriage. It is used formally, in the third tense.  You will most often find it in documents and printed matter. In daily use, like when I told my parents Sophia and I was getting married I used the "gift" word which is the proper expression for such an event, and resulting civil status. Since the "poison" word is a noun and the "married" one is a verb, they are never unintentionally confused in use although they sound alike and are spelt alike. As I understand the emytology of the two they are believed to have a common root in the english word gift - as  in "present". Norwegian is a germanic language after all, and many words carry over or have similar meanings. So, originally or at least from very far back, the bride was considered a gift to the groom from her father, and the poison - as in those parts sometimes encountered as a venomous gift from a wasp or a viper . That "gift"description would in the language be applied to not only venom, but to any poisonous substance. 

So there you are. We are both right. I was born and raised a Norwegian, and I lived there until I was 35 so I feel I have a fairly good grip on that tongue. If you have any further questions on the matter feel free to ask, and I will try to explain to my best ability.:)

Edited by lysleder

True too!

Did you look it up?

It is true that "ekteskap" is a Norwegian word for marriage. It is used formally, in the third tense.  You will most often find it in documents and printed matter. In daily use, like when I told my parents Sophia and I was getting married I used the "gift" word which is the proper expression for such an event, and resulting civil status. Since the "poison" word is a noun and the "married" one is a verb, they are never unintentionally confused in use although they sound alike and are spelt alike. As I understand the emytology of the two they are believed to have a common root in the english word gift - as  in "present". Norwegian is a germanic language after all, and many words carry over or have similar meanings. So, originally or at least from very far back, the bride was considered a gift to the groom from her father, and the poison - as in those parts sometimes encountered as a venomous gift from a wasp or a viper . That "gift"aspect would in the language be applied to not only venom, but to any poisonous substance. 

So there you are. We are both right. I was born and raised a Norwegian, and I lived there until I was 35 so I feel I have a fairly good grip on that tongue. If you have any further questions on the matter feel free to ask, and I will try to explain to my best ability.:)

I did look it up. And I found nothing to back your claim. But it does sound like your background in the Norwegian language is deeper than mine. I was raised by a mother who grew up in Norway. We were very active in Sons of Norway. And I went to Concordia College's Norwegian language camp, 2 years in a row. Though I've have never been to Norway, and I'm not very good at learning other languages. But, with humour of our local Son of Norway members, especially when they've been drinking, you would have thought I would have heard about that one before.