Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Cadillac Hearse - Johan

Drake69

Decided to get this one going. I've been too busy playing with snap-together kits and want to get back into more challenging stuff.

What I've achieved so far...

Tamiya Gloss Black with Flat Black vinyl top...

Hearse%2001_zps7h79gdu9.jpg

Hearse%2002_zpswt17foaa.jpg

Hearse%2003_zpsqqylynlb.jpg

Burgundy interior...

Hearse%2004_zpspuqpbjae.jpg

More coming...

Adding detail to the bay area (planning on hitting it with Dullcoat to dim it down some...)

Hearse%2009_zps30mpa3u5.jpg

Resin casket test fit...

Hearse%2010_zpsm0qqgkln.jpg

Hearse%2011_zpslqihad8w.jpg

That casket is going to take A LOT of cleanup to get it to look right!!

Dash in place...

Hearse%2012_zps40bcmvcf.jpg

More to come.

Thanks! Casket is a 1/25 scale resin piece that I got off of fleaBay. It's pretty rough and is going to take some sanding and filling to make it look better.

Seen some wooden caskets on there also and not bad prices. Those hearse are getting rare Allen..

Seen some wooden caskets on there also and not bad prices. Those hearse are getting rare Allen..

I've been looking at those too, but I'm looking for more modern ones. The wooden ones are what are called "toe pinchers" because they are narrow at the bottom.

Dullcoat toned down the back area quite nicely...

Hearse%2013_zps0fsvqs9w.jpg

A better pic of the casket...

Hearse%2014_zpszguvqmpq.jpg

Steering wheel now detailed...

Hearse%2015_zpsmzt0pqfg.jpg

Test fitment...

Hearse%2016_zpspmo1wayo.jpg

Thanks Carl!

Couldn't sleep yet, so I completed the BMF on the driver's side and installed the windows, curtains, landau rod, and logo.

Hearse%2023_zpscvvaogev.jpg

Hearse%2024_zpsoy87jort.jpg

Hearse%2025_zpswafjffdq.jpg

Whoops, need to trim off that last sliver of foil from the back, LOL!

Hearse%2026_zpskjj5ebat.jpg

I also noticed the kit comes with full windows for the front driver's and passenger's sides of the hearse. What I didn't like is that it includes the pillar "triangle" with them, so they'd have to be used no matter what (it would look silly leaving them off and have no glass for the pillars). Rather than doing that, I cut clear acetate in larger triangle shapes, one for each side, then used MKK to glue them in place. Now I can leave the windows down!

I'll tackle the BMF on the other side of the car, the front fenders, and the back door tomorrow. I'm going to leave the side fenders and back roof trim off as I don't like the "too chromed" look like that.

More tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Ok... so... I finally get done foiling the other side of the hearse except for the long piece mid door, and I decide to take a small break from BMF and install the rest of my windows. I pop them in along with the curtains, then take dark red tee shirt cloth, cut it to shape, and glue it in for the headliner. In the morning I finished up the front and rear areas of the car (except for the long chromelines on top of the front fenders, I'll get those later on...), and let everything dry. I go to start fitting the body, tub, and chassis together and I find out I can't get the front to sit down all the way!

Grrr,,,,,,

I take it apart and put it back together a few times before I find out it's the freaking firewall not sitting high enough for clearance. Also, the interior partition is not sitting correctly with the lower partition and also needs adjustment. I take things apart once more and SNAP! BOTH front wheels break off the suspension!

Blankety-blank-blank-flimsy-little-so-and-so.....

So... now I have to make up a static suspension that will hold together nice and snug like it's supposed to, AND not look crooked, bowed, or otherwise out of alignment.

Yay!

Pics to come later... once I extricate myself from this dilemma....

Thanks!

Almost done with this, still have some BMF to do on the front fender lines and Caddy logo, not to mention the door handles. Also, the plates have been given a healthy shot of gloss aluminum so they will look nicer when I put them on.

I had to add a bit of glue to the rear shark fins to get them to glue to the body to get rid of the gap they have, so a big rubber band is now wrapped front-to-back holding them up tight.

Here's the next set of pics (Don't worry! I still have to polish her up to get rid of the bleeping cat/dog hair that she seems strangely attracted to. Good thing I already brushed Future on the car body to protect the paint. Ohh, the joys of pet ownership...)

Hearse%2032_zpsz7tl51wf.jpg

The resin casket, sprayed with Gloss Aluminum, Bare Metal Silver, and a fogging of Light Gunmetal...

Hearse%2033_zpsn7rulrmc.jpg

Hearse%2034_zpszcdyyogm.jpg

Hearse%2035_zpse9sp75qo.jpg

EXCELLENT job on this!  I love the interior color.

BTW what paint/color is the interior?

As you said in my ambulance build thread, it's great to see another Caddy hearse/ambulance being worked on.  I have to pick up one of these kits and a '66 Cadillac Ambulance one of these days.