Model Cars Magazine Forum

How About A Call Out For The Old Time Hobby Shops

Here in Sacramento, I prefer to visit Viking Hobby. They're a small shop and while I can't say that they stock every single thing, if they don't have it, they'll happily order it for you. There's a much bigger model shop in town, and I do venture there occasionally, but Viking has the old school look and feel of the shops in Milwaukee that I remember from my youth, and Mark and Jessica who run the shop are very friendly and knowledgeable. If you're ever in Sacramento, they're near the corner of Mission and El Camino.

Going to Parma Hobby just outside of Cleveland, Ohio today. Not the biggest store, and their main focus isn't model cars but I buy styrene and some paint from there. They have Tamiya, and that's a plus. I've got to get some styrene so I can "Z" my rat rod frame.

Going to Parma Hobby just outside of Cleveland, Ohio today. Not the biggest store, and their main focus isn't model cars but I buy styrene and some paint from there. They have Tamiya, and that's a plus. I've got to get some styrene so I can "Z" my rat rod frame.

Parma Hobby is closing, the owners are retiring and they're having their going out of business sale now.   Family Hobby in Medina did the same thing just this past May.  One bright note, I think all the Discount Drugmart's in Northeastern Ohio still carry Revell Model kits and a small amount of supplies.  Anyone know of any other Drug Store chains that are still selling model kits ?

-Steve

When we lived in Rutherfordton, NC more than six years ago I used to go down to Spartanburg, SC and would always visit Great Escape Bicycles and Hobby Shop.  Always had a good selection of plastic and a very knowledgeable staff; not sure if they are still open.  Another one is King Hobbies in King, NC, has been around for many years, heavy into RC but has a great selection of reasonably priced plastic kits, also carries a fair supply of train stuff.  Haven't been over there in a couple of years, it is 45 miles one way and no direct route - whole lot of back roads.

I was at King RC in King NC last month and just like TarheelRick said it's a great place to go to. Also in Thomasville, NC there is Anderson RC which is Big into RC but has the latest car models and paints.If they don't have it they will order it with no problem. Matt the owner is great he treats every customer like they're family!

Edited by TOYCARTEC

Section 8 Hobbies in Buffalo.  As the name implies, they're heavy on military stuff (recently bought out a railroad-only shop that closed, so they're into trains too) but they're strong in cars/trucks too.  I just snagged a Revell Model A coupe there this morning.  They carry Moebius kits (only one other place around here has them).  Nobody else within 50 miles that I am aware of, stocks Humbrol paints...I'm pretty sure they've got the complete selection.  Bare-Metal Foil...check.  Evergreen styrene tubing/strips/shapes...check.  Round 2 tire/wheel packs...check.   

Parma Hobby is closing, the owners are retiring and they're having their going out of business sale now.   Family Hobby in Medina did the same thing just this past May.  One bright note, I think all the Discount Drugmart's in Northeastern Ohio still carry Revell Model kits and a small amount of supplies.  Anyone know of any other Drug Store chains that are still selling model kits ?

-Steve

Thanks Steve, I found that out when I got there! Too bad, now I have to drive out to Hobby Lobby for my paint.

Here in Sacramento, I prefer to visit Viking Hobby. They're a small shop and while I can't say that they stock every single thing, if they don't have it, they'll happily order it for you. There's a much bigger model shop in town, and I do venture there occasionally, but Viking has the old school look and feel of the shops in Milwaukee that I remember from my youth, and Mark and Jessica who run the shop are very friendly and knowledgeable. If you're ever in Sacramento, they're near the corner of Mission and El Camino.

Yes Viking Hobby is Great the lady is just wonderful, 

I stay away from RC Country ?

Since you are in Sacramento are you aware of the Model Car Club we have here? If interested let me know ?

Thanks for the memories! I started going there when the original owners still ran it, the couple who started it in the Fifities. I distinctly remember when Glen took it over. At the time, his first daughter was a baby and his wife was pregnant with the second daughter.  Last time I stopped in, before I moved out of LA in 2015, his older girl was getting ready to start college.  Man, does that make me feel old!

You probably also remember Tony and Addie's hobby shop on Victory Blvd. Display cases full of vintage built Fifties kits. Including some of the original Monogram, Revell, etc. store displays from that era. Tony has turned down hundreds of offers to buy those displays and kits.  As of 2015, Tony was still keeping his hand in - he worked at the Smith Bros. hobby shop on Reseda Blvd.  Another great shop that has been open for many years.

Which reminds me of Kit Kraft in Studio City - the very first place I ever saw Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine back in the 1980s. Still owned by the original family who started it back in the Fifties, AFAIK.  That place was like a mini-Michaels, only with a LOT more model kits in every genre.  It carried supplies for bead, papercraft, leather-work etc. etc.  Plus the biggest model paint selection in the area. I could easily spend a couple hours in Kit Kraft, figuring out how to re-purpose other craft stuff for model building.

Glen is a great guy, always good to me. The old location was a real, old, OLD time place. When Glen moved the place, I picked up some superb old fashion "State" decals for cars that had been there for who knows how long! The pics are not the actual decals , but the same thing.

Tony's shop on Victory is still there, empty but there. Had mostly RC airplane stuff. Kit Kraft is still OK, but not what it once was. High prices keep me out of there. Smith Brothers is a good shop as well, lots of cars too.

My favorite is still Glens place though.

decals.jpg

Thanks Steve, I found that out when I got there! Too bad, now I have to drive out to Hobby Lobby for my paint.

Medina has a Hobby Lobby too but I stopped shopping there when Family Hobby opened.  Looks like I'll be going back sooner or later .... 

When I lived on the Island with my Grandpaents, I frequented Bill & Walt's i Downtown Pittsburgh.

Not sure if they are still there

in 79-80 Kits were Downstairs

Last time I got to go in, Figures & Gaming were downstairs with kits up stairs with Model Railroading

They Had 1 or 2 Satellite stores too, but closed that(those) before I could find them

(Saw the sigh of one AFTER closing!!)

Coraopolis Bike & Hobby HAD kits & MR stuff, but got out of that before 2000 I think

They were still there, and the sign was the same, But they were only Bicycles!!!!

Cranberry had a Shop, and Butler?? had one, but it Moved

I am Not sure if it is still there.

Down here, The Hobby Stop is where I use to go

I believe they are still there in Seaford. They are Primarily a Fiberglass R/C Boat Manufacturer.

The store is part of the same Building!!

Model Railroading is the largest section in the store (was anyway)

with Dollhouse, Scratchbuilding & tools next,

A SMALL room in back has the Kits

1 side Automotive, the other Military

Import kit are carried

I got my Trumpeter ALF Eagle Pumper there

ALSO, they had 15% discount on Kits!

And being Del, NO Sales Tax!!!!!
BUY!! 45 miles north of me!!!!

(And NOT sure when I can go back to Look let alone Maybe buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'll chime in for the Philadelphia, PA area. 

The last two standing that I know of are: 

Nicholas Smith Toys and Hobbies in Newtown Square, PA. Great store, nice selection of new car kits, also, lots of slot cars, diecasts, toys, and a HUGE train selection, new & vintage trains, in most or all scales that I can think of. Nice people to deal with. Probably my fave store. 

Main Line Hobbies, in the Plymouth Meeting Mall, Plymouth Meeting, PA. Small selection of car models, nice selection of supplies and slot cars. 3 or 4 tracks you can rent for slot cars, they also have cars for rent. The owner is very nice. 

Going a little farther out: Z & Z Hobbies in Hamilton, NJ. Decent selection of new kits, supplies. More train oriented, but worth a stop if in the area. 

The late, great Penn Valley Hobbies is now gone. I'm pretty sure there still is a nice store in Reading, but I haven't been out there in many years. I'm not sure of the status of Alfred Cappelli Hobbies downtown on Market Street, I will have to check that out again soon. There was a really nice one in Doylestown (the name escapes me) that I no sooner discovered 3 years ago that promptly closed up. 

Philly guys: anything I have missed here?

In my area the oldest hobby shop would be Sheldon's Hobbies.  They specialize in R/C cars but they carry a decent inventory of model car kits and finishing supplies.  They have been in business since the late 1950's.  Last October the other long time hobby shop, D&J Hobby closed up for good after 30 plus years in business.

There is a Penn Vally as a Seller on evilbay

And in that area too

Are they the same??

The Shop I liked best in my area was "Dennison's Trackside" in Berlin, Md.

City took over the shop for Community Council/Chamber Of Commerce

(read Tourist info)

Supposedly he opened in another building there, but.....

He was Primarily Rail as his name implied, but Did have most everything else

I got 2 of the 3 Pro-Stock?Super Stock Dodge kits there Discounted at Half Price

That was something he did

If an Item sat on the shelf for too long, it was Marked in Red, and clearenced

Got a few Leetown/Alloy Forms Fire Truck kits that way too!!!!!!

I believe there is (or was) a Hobby Shop in Lewis, Del, Daisey's, but.........

Maybe Tom Sheehey can shed light on that one. I believe that he lives in that area

I help manage The Spare Time Shop in Marlborough, Ma. We're one of the most extensively-stocked shops in New England, and have enough of a following that we have customers from Toronto and the far northern part of Nova Scotia.

If it's not on the shelf and obtainable, we'll get it for you.

Charlie Larkin

There is a Penn Vally as a Seller on evilbay

And in that area too

Are they the same??

I know that Penn Valley Hobbies was selling on eBay. They had an awful lot of older store stock, even when they were closing down. I would not be surprised in the least if they still had plenty to sell off, although probably mostly diecasts, trains & slot car stuff at this point. 

75 Years!

I like reading threads like this one.

My Hobby Shop here in Germany has been around now for 75 years.  Read before WW2.  Their shop is a little smaller than it was some 30 years ago, when I bought my first wooden ship kit.  They still have premium property downtown, here in the state capitol.  I shop there as often as I can, they have a lot of experience.  Personally, I'd prefer buying from them instead of online, the prices are not too much different.  Just they have no contact with US stuff, but still a neat place to visit.

Esthers Hobbys, been open since 1938. survived having 6 feet of water in it about 12 years ago. The area its in has been seeing a bit of a resurgence in the last decade. 

f26c0a4062159a8c3b6f40ac1a0cfdbd.jpg

When I lived on the Island with my Grandpaents, I frequented Bill & Walt's i Downtown Pittsburgh.

Not sure if they are still there

in 79-80 Kits were Downstairs

Last time I got to go in, Figures & Gaming were downstairs with kits up stairs with Model Railroading

They Had 1 or 2 Satellite stores too, but closed that(those) before I could find them

(Saw the sigh of one AFTER closing!!)

Coraopolis Bike & Hobby HAD kits & MR stuff, but got out of that before 2000 I think

They were still there, and the sign was the same, But they were only Bicycles!!!!

Cranberry had a Shop, and Butler?? had one, but it Moved

I am Not sure if it is still there.

Bill and Walt's is still around but they moved outside of town. they only have 1 location now. 

The hobby shop in Cranberry is Hobby Express, they moved to a much, much better location up the road in a busy shopping center. This is my go too hobby shop.