Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Nova - Interior/Final Mockup

Tyler62990

So I started working on this a couple weeks ago and figured I'd share my progress. The kit is the Revell 69 Nova SS. I decided to go with the drag version and make a pro street car out of it. So far this has been a really good kit to work with. Everything is well engineered and practically falls into place. Well, here's where I'm at:

Being the cheapskate that I am, I try to scratch build as much as I can. I went with the 383 stroker version of the kits SBC. The dizzy is from MAD, and is one of the things I actually will buy. I hate drilling caps lol. The fuel log made from styrene rod, seed beads, and beading wire. The throttle linkage/return spring is a solder/styrene strip combo.

IMG_20160707_161702341.jpg

IMG_20160707_161642561.jpg

Next up was the seat. The harness was made from textured paper from the craft store, some styrene bits cut to shape, and a couple Simpson logos stolen from Google, reduced and printed on regular computer paper.

IMG_20160707_154511521.jpg

I thought the kit wheels looked really cool, so I decided to give them more flare. The supplied Hoosier decals were used after the tires were dullcoated and the tread sanded. The wheels recieved a gold wash at the hub and some red sharpie to set them off a bit. I love how sharpie over chrome gives you a cool anodized look.

IMG_20160630_165512159.jpg

Last but not least, I got the paint finished up. This car was my airbrush training session. It was primed with Tamiya White Primer, straight from the can. Then a coat (or 10) of decanted Duplicolor Garnet red was applied. After a bit of masking, the racing stripes (a first for me) were painted with decanted Testor's Blazing Black. Going back to rattle cans, some Wet Look Clear was applied. A good wet sanding, rubbing and polishing produced a finish I'm pretty happy with.

IMG_20160707_160244384.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some updates soon. I'm really gonna start cracking on this one now that I'm motivated lol. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tyler62990

Thanks guys. The main reason I use my dio for WIP pics isn't because it's a cool background, it's because it gives me the best lighting out of everything lol. I managed to make some more progress last night. I'll post spics later 

So I got more work done last night and today. The chassis was assembled as was the interior. The master cylinder was plumbed and a hole drilled for the vacuum line from the booster to the carb. The alternator was wired along with the battery, which has been dressed up with some more printed images from Google. Pieces of heat shrink tubing with solder rings were used to simulate padding on the roll bar. I also got the body and interior temporarily fitted for the final mockup. I give it a few more days until she's done.

Not much progress has been made. I managed to get the BMF applied and windows in, but my ADD kicked in and I shifted focus to painting another project. I'm back in the saddle tonight trying to work out some problems with fitment between the chassis, interior and body. The mockup went great, so I don't know what the problem is. That's just how it goes, right?