Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Fiat Mefistofele

Next, I scrounged around in my stash of rod and tubing and found some styrene tubing that wouldn't quite fit into the sprocket shaft. Using a small round file, I opened up the shaft hole just enough so that the styrene tubing would have a nice, tight friction fit. I left the end of the tubing back a ways in the sprocket shaft. You'll see why in a sec...

Then I cut the tubing flush with the other side of the sprocket. This tubing "sleeve" was needed so that I could use the kit-supplied screws to eventually attach the sprocket. Unmodified Grandt Line sprocket on the left, modified one with styrene tubing "sleeve" and kit-supplied mounting screw on the right...

And now we cross the line into insanity. I used a razor saw to slice off some of the molded-on nut and bolt detail on the kit sprocket and glued them to the Grandt Line sprocket. Hard to see in the photo because we're talking tiny here, people. While the larger kit sprocket has eight nut/bolts, I only used four on the smaller Grandt Line sprockets. The reason the sftermarket sprocket is so much smaller than the kit sprocket is because the next size up for the Grandt Line sprockets would have been bigger than the kit sprockets and so would not have fit under the chain guard. So I had to go with a smaller sprocket to avoid scratchbuilding new chain guards.

... The reason the sftermarket sprocket is so much smaller than the kit sprocket is because the next size up for the Grandt Line sprockets would have been bigger than the kit sprockets and so would not have fit under the chain guard. So I had to go with a smaller sprocket to avoid scratchbuilding new chain guards.

would be interesting to know, how much you changed the transmission ratio. normally, with a smaller front sprocket, the car would go slower. so a bigger rear sprocket would be needed. for a car that is supposed to break the landspeed record, this is a very important issue!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...