Model Cars Magazine Forum

Worst fear materialized: Compressor blowup

Hello,

Yesterday afternoon, I was running my compressor as usual, to fill up my portable tank so I could paint at night, as usual. When the tank was reaching 100 psi, where it stops, all of a sudden

BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

PSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A hose connector failure sent the hose whiplashing and missed me by a few inches. Now that my heart is back again working, I assesed the damage and need to get a few parts from the hardware store.

Thanks,

Thats pretty cool.

In the auto shop back at my high school the couplings would shoot off the hoses from time to time because the teached didnt secure them properly. Needless to say they went about 10 feet and then 150psi comes rushing out of the hose.

When that happens, I just let it go. The shop needed dusting.

I've never had a connector just come apart, the ones that happen me alot are when I don't move the airhose before I start welding. The sudden hissing and you can't see what it is because of your helmet is blocking your view that direction, that'll make your heart skip a beat or two!! :lol:

Rick

UPDATE:

Specialty Ultra Brass super duper couplings and related hardware:$8

Heavy duty DOT approved, hydraulic tested, truck manufacturer recommended, braided, oil gas and atomic fallout resistant, gazillion psi proof, lined, super duper mega strenght synthetic itshouldneverblowinium hose: $4

Having the compressor back working without safety concerns: PRICELESS