Model Cars Magazine Forum

New distracted driver hazard - Pokemon Go

Jantrix

I wonder if the Nintendo executives will end up doing the same thing the Ford executives did during the Pinto debacle years ago? Where they calculate how much they would have to pay out in lawsuit settlements for the injuries and deaths caused by being distracted by this game, compared to how much revenue they estimate they would lose if they changed, or pulled the game app altogether, essentially calculating how much a human life is "worth"?!! That would really be a sign of the times, wouldn't it?!

It is not about being nice - it is always about maximizing profits.

I get that, but they don't think of the repercussions they cause. They don't think of every aspect of what can and will happen. Saw a guy on the news re end a squad car that already had someone pulled over, what was he doing?? Pokemon Go... What if the officer was standing behind or in between the cars he hit? I get the whole profit game the companies play, but when it starts to interact with human life, there has to be a line to not cross!!!!

I get that, but they don't think of the repercussions they cause. They don't think of every aspect of what can and will happen. Saw a guy on the news re end a squad car that already had someone pulled over, what was he doing?? Pokemon Go... What if the officer was standing behind or in between the cars he hit? I get the whole profit game the companies play, but when it starts to interact with human life, there has to be a line to not cross!!!!

I saw that video too- pretty gnarly!

They didn't create a driving hazard, they created a game. The people that value the video game more than the lives of others created the driving hazard. Blaming the company the made the game (Which is not Nintendo), for people getting in accidents is idiotic. 

They didn't create a driving hazard, they created a game. The people that value the video game more than the lives of others created the driving hazard. Blaming the company the made the game (Which is not Nintendo), for people getting in accidents is idiotic. 

Yes but "knowing" people are going to drive to where the stuff is they know people are going to do so... Regardless if  they are idiots to do so stuff like this shouldn't be allowed if ya ask me.... Just my two cents....

So businesses shouldn't be allowed to do business? That's like saying Xacto shouldn't be allowed to hobby knives because they know some people will eventually cut themselves with it. It's absurd

I agree with this thought entirely.

Though I have no interest in playing the game and personally think it's a stupid waste of time, it's up to the individual's sense of taking responsibility for his or her actions, 24-7. Cars and guns are potentially deadly too...and don't anybody dare to try outlaw them for "our own protection".

The problem isn't that there are possible distractions in the world. The problem is that people make poor choices about living from minute to minute. Somebody in this great land needs to stand up and remind people to think before they act, and to try to act like responsible adults. This simple concept seems to have been forgotten, and putting it out there as important could solve a LOT of problems.

That said, I DO think it would make a lot of sense to disable the screens on smart-phones when they are in cars that are in gear. The tech would be EASY to implement, and it would simply remove the apparently irresistible temptation to text and use the net while driving.

I think spike strips may be in order.

The author F.Paul Wilson has a fictional character named "Repairman Jack"; Jack is a bit of a libertarian Robin-hood type character who "fixes problems" for paying customers.

One of the stories about this character involves Jack's youth and beginnings as a "fixer"; an elderly neighbor has problems with punks cutting across his lawn and running over a prized shrub on the corner. Jack's solution: mount thin steel bollards deep into the ground inside each small shrub.

Of course, a person would be arrested for that in real life, unless they could successfully argue that those shrubs flop over if they aren't supported, and several feet of 3" OD pipe is the best solution...

• 2 weeks later...

So businesses shouldn't be allowed to do business? That's like saying Xacto shouldn't be allowed to hobby knives because they know some people will eventually cut themselves with it. It's absurd

I thoroughly agree with you as it is up to the PEOPLE to take responsibility when they buy games, guns, knives, and when they ride bicycles and drive cars.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...or maybe sharpened rebar punji sticks to hold up the poor little plants?  ;)

Hmmmm...great idea. B)

Many years ago we were having a problem with cats pooping in our flowerbed, so I got a bunch of bamboo skewers and planted them in the flowerbed like little punji sticks... we called it "kitty Cambodia" :lol: