Model Cars Magazine Forum

’53 Chevy Panel

Scale-Master

I picked this up last night to be part of a group build.  Something simple...

First I fixed the cowl and windshield trim where there were two chunks missing where the hood hinges go.  Could be a short shot, could be just a well-worn mold. 

Then I rescribed all the door lines as they shallow and uneven. 

Next the drip rails were shaved because one side was barely there and the other was very prominent.  

The rockers were sanded to look about the same side to side; there was a flange on the left, a ghost of one at best on the right.   

The hood had to be shaved and trued (or I could have filled it) along the trailing edge.  The rest of the parting lines were not too bad compared to the other issues.

A coat of primer and quick wet sand and it looks like it is ready for paint.

Edited by Scale-Master

Thanks guys!

I'm going OOB and curbside on it.  At least with the doors molded in it is easier to deal with.  I am mounting the rear axle a little differently than called out to jack up the rear a little so I didn't have to cut out the rear wheel wells.

I have built a couple of them before, in fact I built this one for the box art photos:

1334003545129216299745_zpsi2sh7oj1.jpg

I'm wondering if it is the same model used on the side panel of this kit (the lower one) with the silver and graphics Photoshopped onto it.

Edited by Scale-Master

Thanks Joe.

The glass is in.  The wheels and tires are done.  The engine and chassis, (such as they are…) are finished.  The interior is done and the inner panels are installed too, except for the shifter that went MIA after I painted it last night.  I guess I’ll just make one from a shirt pin like we used to do when this was a new kit.