Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is clear coating always the way to go?

I've got some models that are almost done and was wondering on whether to clear coat them.

I clear coat the models that I spray paint or airbrush using tamiya paints , but haven't done any on enamel paint jobs that I've done. I have painted them using testors enamels and polished the paint and happy with the results, but wondering if I need to clear since I have decals on the bodies. Would i be okay if I just left them be without clear or what do you guys think?

Edited by I'm_PlanB
Mispelling

I mainly build racecars.  As of yet, I have not clear coated any of them.  To the best of my knowledge most racecars are not cleared.  I have never had a problem with decals lifting or coming off.  There is nothing wrong with clear coating your cars.  The choice is yours.

When you say "Tamiya paints" do you mean their acrylics or lacquers? Most solid-color Tamiya spray lacquers can be wetsanded and polished to a high gloss without needing to be clearcoated. However, clearcoating over decals makes the decal look like it was painted if done correctly, and also protects the decal.

No need at all to clear coat if you're happy with the finish.

There are only two reasons why I clear coat.

1: The lacquer paints that I use are a "base/clear" paint that require a clear coat to achieve a shiny finish.

2: If you plan on polishing a metallic paint, a clear coat is a good idea to avoid any "smearing" of the metallic particles.

Steve

OK, thanks for the replies, I am gonna skip the clear, since I got the paint polished, and shiny and didn't want to mess that up. 

One more question, I did a few racecars that I also painted in testors enamel, didn't buff and polish paint, as it came it pretty good with no orange peel and or runs etc. Plus they are heavily decaled.

Would a flat clear coat or semi flat be advised for these type of builds ( tamiya Aston martin DTM, Toyota supra jtcc, piaa Honda accord jtcc etc.) 

No need at all to clear coat if you're happy with the finish.

There are only two reasons why I clear coat.

1: The lacquer paints that I use are a "base/clear" paint that require a clear coat to achieve a shiny finish.

2: If you plan on polishing a metallic paint, a clear coat is a good idea to avoid any "smearing" of the metallic particles.

Steve

Great answer, and this is pretty much where I am now too. I try to avoid clearcoat if at all possible.

I can think of an exception to the whole "clear over decals" debate. Some of the Round 2 kits actually have a matte finish on their decals. If they are not cleared, it is very noticeable. Fortunately, their decals take clears very well, with no issues.

• 2 months later...