Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Model Gave You a Whoopin'?

I never had a Problem with the Revell ALL features 1962 tooled Tri-5 Chevies either

Built SEVERAL Including the Nomad

Even have that Original Box art kit waiting!!!

And no ;less that 4 57 Hardtops!!

2 Pink Lowriders, a red & white to match that Box art

And for the Kicker, How about this 56 Nomad based off the 56 Sedan!

http://s145.photobucket.com/user/EdselDan/media/Models/Tri-5 Nomads/56Nomad-rs_zps7c1683bII

also managed  the IMC Mustang 2, Little Red Wagon (Stock) And L700 Dodges

as well as Testor's issues of the 48 Ford Coupe, and Ford GT?? (Red one)

I Did have a Street Rods" issue 65 Riviera give me fits though

Somehow I knew as a kid to avoid anything Revell made; just seeing all the working features on the box art made me shy away - same with IMC's stern warning on their boxes: "ADVANCED KIT - NOT FOR BEGINNERS".

So God only knows why I tried to tackle this:

5c5e579aca2c7_otakis800.jpg.64e86a8a5a06a38d9aee31bcbb3a7f58.jpg

For some reason I don't remember much detail about it, other than it being very fiddly. I do recall it had working headlights but not taillights, and (IIRC) working suspension. I probably should have quit early and saved it for thirty or forty years and sold it on.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I never had a Problem with the Revell ALL features 1962 tooled Tri-5 Chevies either

Built SEVERAL Including the Nomad

I got the '56 sedan together as a teenager, but it did give me fits. Wouldn't want to do it again.

Everything with a flip nose has been a PITA. Been playing with Monogram '66 Chevelle and MPC '57 Chevy for years and years and still haven't achieved a satisfactory closed fit. (Haven't even tried to make em pivot yet, either.) Finally gave up on the '57 Corvette gasser and AMT '41 Willys gasser and just glued those front ends down solid and puttied 'em up like a boss till I got something that looked halfway decent.

The Revell 1/12 Vincent Black Shadow...

A kit I always wanted to build, picked one up from a friend.

It musta been one of the 1st produced, because the plastic was extremely brittle and kept breaking and nothing fit!

Actually threw it in the trash, did not want to be tempted to play with it again!

1602vincent-vi.jpg

I built this kit for my Dad it sat on his shelf for about 4 years when all for a sudden it disassembled  it's self . It was very brittle plastic. I found the 4 part fuel tank very hard to get looking right with no seam lines and the gold pinstripe. There was also a metal one that looked the same but very pricey  

There is only one kit that has given me nothing but trouble from the beginning, and unfortunately its my favorite car of all time -the Lamborghini Countach. The Fujimi Enthusiast kit, to be precise. My first attempt was in 1988/89. For me it has to be white with semigloss black vents and trim, and a light beige with black accent interior. While I've never had problems building it up and detailing it, the white paint has ALWAYS never come out right for me. First time I sprayed white, junk ended-up getting stuck in it. Another time, when I actually got the white done right, I got black overspray on the white body that didn't polish-out very well, and yet another time after having to keep sanding junk out of the white finish, there were so many coats of white and clear that none of the body parts would fit anymore. I took a 6 1/2 year break from modeling, and joined the Army. After I got out, I tried another white Fujimi Countach, and all the same problems cycled right back. Talk about ANNOYING!! I don't believe in stripping bodies, to me, that's just adding more depressing work. I think Fujimi made a small fortune off me with the Enthusiast Countach kit, because since 1988/89 til present, I've purchased and destroyed 16 kits! Looking back, I think that maybe God knew that eventually Aoshima was going to come out with a Countach kit that would kick the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH outta Fujimis -AND THEY DID!!!!!   So, to make a long story short, the Army made me persistant, my wife gives me encouragement, God gave me the talent, and Aoshima gave me THE kit!  The ONLY thing that could improve the Aoshima kit, is if it had a complete engine to build., soooooo, as of right now, I am in the process of putting a complete Fujimi engine in my Aoshima kit, and its working swell:lol:

Welcome to my nightmare! Tried it when I was about 15, didn't work out so hot

Working up the guts to try it again after all these years! 

rev_oc01-vi.jpg

Jesse, that's the one.  That model was way over my head back when it came out.  Still a cool model though, I think someone built it here recently.  Good luck, you'll get it right!

MPC Street Fever Corvette. Had about a billion pieces to put together (at least thats the way it looked as a kid). The suspension parts, the multi piece side pipes, uuuggghhh! What's a 12 year old to do? Most of it is still in my parts box, the body was turned into a curbside sand dune buggy with knobby tires, other parts went into other projects. Hafta pick one up off of ebay sometime and try again. 

Jeff

There is only one kit that has given me nothing but trouble from the beginning, and unfortunately its my favorite car of all time -the Lamborghini Countach. The Fujimi Enthusiast kit, to be precise. My first attempt was in 1988/89. For me it has to be white with semigloss black vents and trim, and a light beige with black accent interior. While I've never had problems building it up and detailing it, the white paint has ALWAYS never come out right for me. First time I sprayed white, junk ended-up getting stuck in it. Another time, when I actually got the white done right, I got black overspray on the white body that didn't polish-out very well, and yet another time after having to keep sanding junk out of the white finish, there were so many coats of white and clear that none of the body parts would fit anymore. I took a 6 1/2 year break from modeling, and joined the Army. After I got out, I tried another white Fujimi Countach, and all the same problems cycled right back. Talk about ANNOYING!! I don't believe in stripping bodies, to me, that's just adding more depressing work. I think Fujimi made a small fortune off me with the Enthusiast Countach kit, because since 1988/89 til present, I've purchased and destroyed 16 kits! Looking back, I think that maybe God knew that eventually Aoshima was going to come out with a Countach kit that would kick the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH outta Fujimis -AND THEY DID!!!!!   So, to make a long story short, the Army made me persistant, my wife gives me encouragement, God gave me the talent, and Aoshima gave me THE kit!  The ONLY thing that could improve the Aoshima kit, is if it had a complete engine to build., soooooo, as of right now, I am in the process of putting a complete Fujimi engine in my Aoshima kit, and its working swell:lol:

I want to build a countach, pretty much finished one but the engine bay crumpled when it was time to put the frame to the body. I would love to have a decent model of one. Do you think it would take much work to put a Monogram engine into an Aoshima kit? Here's the Monogram engine, it's 1/24......

lambostarted_001.thumb.JPG.65c7e91bc0ad4

I'm with Harry on this one.  Since I started building (at age 5) I don't think I've ever had a kit I couldn't bring to a reasonable conclusion(including the Orange Crate, Revell Microbus(s), Revell '57 Nomad, etc.).  When I would open a box, however, and discover that I had just bought (talked my mother into buying) a real dog of a kit it would be immediately relegated to the parts box.

Funnily enough, though, I recently completed the AMT new-tool '57 BelAir and that kit actually gave me an un-expected run for the money.  Absolutely nothing fit right on that car without a lot of trimming, grinding, sanding, etc.  Geesh!

I recently bought a Revell '57 Nomad, BTW, just so I could have that beautiful box art up on my shelves again.  I may pick up the MCW Nomad body and combine it with one of the recent Revell '57s for a proper build of the Hollingsworth car. 

Built the Revell '57 Nomad way back when - still have it and still looks good. Did it just like the box art car with metallic bronze paint and the reversed chrome wheels.

2 that I have had issues with are the Monogram 1966 Hertz Shelby. I didn't follow my normal process of doing the body first so finished and fully detailed the chassis, engine, and interior. Nice black lacquer on the body but messed up the gold hood stripe decals while sanding after the first couple clear coats. I bought another kit but found the decals were not the same as what was in the original issue. Also got Keith Marks decals but they are different size and color.  So it still sits unfinished after many years.

Worst kit as far as assembly was the Pocher Ferrari Testarossa. Kit parts are so bad nothing on the engine fit together. I even broke some on the intake runners trying to get things lined up close enough to glue together. .

2 that I have had issues with are the Monogram 1966 Hertz Shelby. I didn't follow my normal process of doing the body first so finished and fully detailed the chassis, engine, and interior. Nice black lacquer on the body but messed up the gold hood stripe decals while sanding after the first couple clear coats. I bought another kit but found the decals were not the same as what was in the original issue. Also got Keith Marks decals but they are different size and color.  So it still sits unfinished after many years.

Not all the GT350Hs had the stripes. You could always do it as a "stripe delete" car. B)

Welcome to my nightmare! Tried it when I was about 15, didn't work out so hot

Working up the guts to try it again after all these years! 

rev_oc01-vi.jpg

Yep. I had a little trouble with that one too. I was about 10 at the time. I have a mint unbuilt original on the shelf to try it again at some point.

Years ago, I was one of the many tempted by this beautiful box......we all know the rest of the story

Nomad.jpg

Oh yea!  That kit was my nemesis as a kid.  The parts in that box were never intended to assemble into a reasonable Nomad!  I tried several times, each year I'd figure I was older and up to the task. Nope.  Last time I tried was in my early 30s! 

I want to build a countach, pretty much finished one but the engine bay crumpled when it was time to put the frame to the body. I would love to have a decent model of one. Do you think it would take much work to put a Monogram engine into an Aoshima kit? Here's the Monogram engine, it's 1/24......

lambostarted_001.thumb.JPG.65c7e91bc0ad4

I don't think it would be too bad at all. with my Fujimi engine, I just had to very slightly move the engine mounts, maybe a couple mm's at the most, and the ends of the exhaust manifolds my have to be slightly "massaged" to connect to the Aoshima muffler. It should fit Amazingly well for you! -I was shocked in my case.Good luck!, let me know how it goes for you!

Looking back, I faintly remember having trouble with a 57 Chevy.  It was probably the Revell kit.  Lots of parts and motor options.  Did the doors open on that one?   Anyway, I'll add the 57 to my list as well. 

I have another one too.  There was a real cool Jaguar XKE Roadster that I remember flubbing up.  I think it was finished, but the doors and tilting hood did not fit well and the I think too there were suspension issues, any way it was a mess as I remember.

I have the Rev XKE Raodster/Convertible, 

Yes, it does have the Flip-up Hood, but My kit did Not have opening doors

As for the Old Tool Revell 57 Chevy, ALL features worked!!
Steering, Opening Hood, Trunk & Doors, AND rear Quarter windows hinged down too!!!!!

I have an Original to restore, I need the rims, Hubcaps & US Royal Master (Pre-Uniroyal)

tires!!!!!

The tires in mine Melted the rims & caps BIG Time!!!

I have built No less than SEVEN of that series Tri-5 Chevy with No problem!

1 each 55 Coupe & 56 Sedan, and 3 57 Coupe

1 57 Nomad, and of course, the 56 Nomad I started on Years BEFORE Mongram/Revell brought out

their kit!!!!

Only 1, i brought this 1948 Lincoln, why?? I still don't know, but i saw a custom in it somewhere.

I was warned about it, but i decided to just go for it. I did a massive amount of custom work on the rear end especially,

topped it off with a custom paint job, then Disaster!!  All my modified bits worked well, but where the sides and rear end fit together, still stock,  out of the box,... NO WAY!!

There was a good 1/4 inch gap or more, i filed and sanded for 3 hours, and gained a 1/4 of that distance, the only way to fix it

is to start cutting the body, which will mean a repaint, but i think i will save that rear end for the next custom.., so before i threw it, i packed it away and went onto the next one.

DSCN0540_zpsklrip2gh.jpg

DSCN0541_zpssxzzifht.jpg

DSCN0571_zpss5nuqtmq.jpg

DSCN0570_zpswpemwelo.jpg

Edited by DeeCee