Model Cars Magazine Forum

How's it going everyone?

Hey everyone, my name is Sam, I'm new to the hobby and have one build under my belt. I'm interested in building and customizing more models and trying to improve on every one. I been watching a lot of YouTube channels and there are lots of great builders on there and it looks fun and rewarding. So in my spare time I'm going to try and start on my next build, wish me luck. 

Here is a pic of my first build, it has it flaws and needs a few things but I was happy with it. I built it in a week just working in it for a couple hours each day. 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda

image.jpeg

Welcome to the club Sam. You did a nice clean build but I'm sure you want to build better models (we all do). Looks like you need to learn about BMF (Bare metal foil) and PE (Photo etched parts. With those additions you can really enhance the detail of a model.

Yes I heard that term photo etched parts...I would like to know what exactly that entails and I haven't used any bare metal foil yet I do need to get some and start trying it. Also I'm trying to learn about paints and trying things out. Probably my next 4-5 builds will be box stock just so I can get practice in and they will be pretty basic, maybe I'll try to put some wheels on it or something. I know these guys that enter these build offs have years and years of experience and probably hundreds of builds they have done but hopefully my attention to detail and customizing and scratch building projects will come out good soon in the next few years. 

Edited by SamBred

Yes I heard that term photo etched parts...I would like to know what exactly that entails and I haven't used any bare metal foil yet I do need to get some and start trying it. Also I'm trying to learn about paints and trying things out. Probably my next 4-5 builds will be box stock just so I can get practice in and they will be pretty basic, maybe I'll try to put some wheels on it or something. I know these guys that enter these build offs have years and years of experience and probably hundreds of builds they have done but hopefully my attention to detail and customizing and scratch building projects will come out good soon in the next few years. 

Hi Sam, and welcome. That's a very nice first model. I've been finding it useful to limit myself to one new technique or material per build. I get overextended and frustrated if I try more than that, then the project goes on the shelf for a while.

As for photo etch parts, they are made from very thin metal which has been coated with a light-sensitive resist. You expose the resist through a mask, and wherever there is light, the resist hardens, forming a barrier. You then wash away the unexposed resist, and put the metal on a backing tape. You drop it into a solution that removes the unprotected metal. Once the unprotected metal dissolves, you're left with the parts you wanted. You can make parts with very fine holes and details this way.

Wow thanks Dave...confusing to me now about the photo etch. Thanks for the pointer on only trying one new thing at a time. I think I'm just gonna try I go for more paint detail on my next model that goes on my bench and I'd like to get some plug wires on it too!