Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adding detail, firing order

I go for the "parted hair" look, If I was building contest models I would research firing order and do it correctly, but as I just build them and they go on the shelf, they never need to start and drive off so I dont bother with it. Ive added wires and that is acceptable to me otherwise I just get too bogged down and build even slower than I do now.

But however............each to their own, I certainly admire those that put the effort in.

I think ya'll may be missing the point of the photo. It's not intended to spark another "firing order" debate...or so I believe.

It illustrates a rather common tendency of some folks to use generic, not-exactly-to-correct-length plug wires, and to just wad up the extra length in a messy ball rather than cutting wires to fit in a non-rats-nest.

I guess it's which ever way you want to do it. For my self I usually try and wire the distributer with correct firing order. Now if you really want to start some controversy ask about laying the plug wires on top of the exhaust manifolds on small block Chevys and 312 Fords. These and many others were routed down the back side of the heads and then came up to meet the spark plugs as well as the front two wires passing behind the exhaust manifold going to the front two cylinders. Unless you had a loom of some sort to support the plug wires you would have an engine miss very quickly.  

I guess it's which ever way you want to do it. For my self I usually try and wire the distributer with correct firing order. Now if you really want to start some controversy ask about laying the plug wires on top of the exhaust manifolds on small block Chevys and 312 Fords. These and many others were routed down the back side of the heads and then came up to meet the spark plugs as well as the front two wires passing behind the exhaust manifold going to the front two cylinders. Unless you had a loom of some sort to support the plug wires you would have an engine miss very quickly.  

Absolutely.

I have to agree with Gerry and David...because they're correct.  :)

Ya just never know when the gods of thermal destruction and spark will cross paths when mere mortals let their plug wires rest on exhaust manifolds, but some of us know the inevitable outcome.  ;)

Modern cars are more interesting in that coil packs and other ignition systems are often computer controlled, thus firing order is managed by computer, not rotation.  But there are some interesting wiring bundles and one still has to watch for placement of wiring

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I think ya'll may be missing the point of the photo. It's not intended to spark another "firing order" debate...or so I believe.

It illustrates a rather common tendency of some folks to use generic, not-exactly-to-correct-length plug wires, and to just wad up the extra length in a messy ball rather than cutting wires to fit in a non-rats-nest.

You may be right but there seem to be no photo to reference back to at this time . 

hqdefault_zpsv9duqn2r.jpg

All in jest :D

From this photo it would appear that someone wanted the top part of the wiring to look uniform. The problem in the real world is when all those wires wrapped around each other age and take on any type of moisture they will start arcing between each other. Pretty to look at  night but it will not run very well.     

From this photo it would appear that someone wanted the top part of the wiring to look uniform. The problem in the real world is when all those wires wrapped around each other age and take on any type of moisture they will start arcing between each other. Pretty to look at  night but it will not run very well.     

Some scale arcing in a dark room would be really cool.

Ahhh...here you go.   http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-Ultra-Simple-High-Voltage-Generator/