Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about builds on the following

A few questions. I found resin 20" Budd 2 hole front wheels with oilers (?) on eBay. How easy is it to assemble resin wheels and attach them to the existing front axle of the LN-8000 kit? What type of glue do I use? How do I prep for painting them? Also does anybody know where I can locate rear 2 hole Budd's? AITM is out of stock. As always all help is most appreciated. Thanks.

JerseeJerry55

Just a tip on the GGMC generals, the cab sits too high out of the box, which causes the hood to be angled. The cab mounts need to be filed down to get it all evened out, test fitting is your friend. On the Ford, the snowplow/dump truck and tractor are the same frame. The short hauler kit has completely different shaped framerails. They are taller and longer than the others. I will try to pull one out and snap a pic of the rails.

So if I wanted to convert the Short Hauler to a tractor using the supplied frame rails it wouldn't be advisable based on the frame differences? 

JerseeJerry55

A few questions. I found resin 20" Budd 2 hole front wheels with oilers (?) on eBay. How easy is it to assemble resin wheels and attach them to the existing front axle of the LN-8000 kit? What type of glue do I use? How do I prep for painting them? Also does anybody know where I can locate rear 2 hole Budd's? AITM is out of stock. As always all help is most appreciated. Thanks.

JerseeJerry55

Hard to say for sure as there are differences in resin wheels and kit mounting styles. You could get lucky and get a set of wheels that match up well, or you could get a set that require a bit of fabrication to make things line up. Also a huge variation on quality of resin parts, on the good end some are nice and crisp and can be mistaken for plastic parts from a kit, on the bad end you have to do a lot of clean up and reshaping, most fall somewhere in between.

Couple different theories on prep for painting, soaking in Westleys Blech Wite (a tire cleaner) is one of the more popular methods.

5 min epoxy or CA glue (super glue) work well on resin and plastic.

KJ790 is a member here who casts truck parts, under the name Double Take Replicas. He has 2 and 5 hole Budds.

http://kdhumphr.wix.com/double-take-replicas

There's nothing wrong with using the short hauler frame for a tractor. The only thing I would do is hold off mounting the front axle until you get the rear on and some tires on it to make sure it will sit level. With the thicker frame and borrowing a rear tandem setup from another kit you may have to put a small block between the spring and front axle.

So if I wanted to convert the Short Hauler to a tractor using the supplied frame rails it wouldn't be advisable based on the frame differences? 

JerseeJerry55

It would work, it just wouldnt be anything like the frame in the tractor kit. Ive built a tractor using the shorthauler kit. I just made it a single axle,shortened it, and added a 5th wheel.I should have angled the rails at the tail, but I may eventually. This is an old build.

It would work, it just wouldnt be anything like the frame in the tractor kit. Ive built a tractor using the shorthauler kit. I just made it a single axle,shortened it, and added a 5th wheel.I should have angled the rails at the tail, but I may eventually. This is an old build.

Ford3.jpg

Ford_1.jpg

Thanks for showing me your build. That is an awesome build and is EXACTLY what I'd like to do to mine. If I may ask what it the frame length? And how far is the rear end of the leaf spring bracket from the rear end of the frame? Thanks again.

JerseeJerry55

Edited by JerseeJerry55