Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carl Casper`s : Phonebooth: "On the Workbench" 7-11-16 FINISHED PICTURES POSTED 9/9/16 IN THE "UNDER GLASS" SECTION

John Teresi

Hello......I have been away from the bench for a few months......I just needed a break from modeling......but, I`m very happy to say that I am back......and I wanted to build something for myself......It is Carl Casper`s : Phonebooth........I  still have the original kit un-built  in 1/25 scale but, it is in storage somewhere........and I built the kit as a kid but,it is long gone now......Carl Casper buit some pretty cool 1:1 Custom`s back in the day.........so I decided to build a 1/16 scale version of the Phonebooth......so that I could really detail it out.......some of the build will be scratch built and some modifications on my donor kit.......I am starting with a 1/16 Minicraft  31 ford ........the 1:1 Phonebooth is a 1925 T` but, I could not find one in 1/16 scale so I will use the 31 and modify the fenders and scratch build the booth.......on the 1/25 scale box art it says that it ran a 426 Hemi.......but,with the distributor in the back it had to have been a early 392 Hemi.......My good friend Chris Sobak AKA "Moneys" suggested that maybe it was bored out to a 426?......anyway  I bought a 1/16  392 Fuel injected Hemi and Trans  from Shapeways 3D printed that I will use .......I also got some resin Crager SS deep dish wheels for the back and street Cragers for the front.........It wont be an exact replica but,it will be close enough for the girls I go with......anyway I will start this today.....I think I will have fun building this......thanks for looking.

you can go here to see finished pictures in the "Under Glass" section......thanks

105_phone_booth_large_zpsnf8spodx.jpg

hotrod-013-22ff375_zpsvkoynhmd.jpg

CaspersPhoneBooth1_zpsdsh2fysd.jpg

PhoneBoothtop-vi_zps7lvpc0jp.jpg

PhoneBoothside2-vi_zpsgeuqnrry.jpg

DSCF1646_zpsrihjaqfy.jpg

DSCF1647_zpsohyha2so.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Hey John.... it's great to see you back at the bench Brother. I kept looking in the wrong areas for this build and I finally found it.  I know you will hit this one out of thr park when you do your Teresi magic to it. I will be following along and looking forward to your updates.

Hello......I got a quick mock-up.......I modified the rear end of the body and the cowl......I shortend the rear fenders......But, I still need to shape the rear fenders.......I am using carboard for templates  for the Phonebooth .....I will work on the chassis tomorrow........thanks for looking.

John... This is looking Killer my Brother!! Gotta say my favorite part of this build right now is the 3D printed engine sitting in there looking all sweet in its spot. Looks like it was a perfect fit. What a great way to start that phone booth out, using templates for your patterns. I know you will make the phone booth look better than the real thing...lol  At the rate you are going right now, you will have this done in no time at all. Keep up the great work my friend!!     

Hey John,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Good to see a new build from you my friend !!!   It will be a treat to watch you work your magic on this one.

Randy

Hello.......thank you all so very much for the kind comments I really do appreciate them:)......I did a few more  body mods and  made a engine scoop ......I got the chasis mocked-up and  made some custom radious rods like the the ones on the 1:1 car......and I made the Booth with a  diamond plate floor.....I will work on the gas tank and headers next.......thanks for looking.

DSCF1689_zps0rpwnpkj.jpg

DSCF1688_zpsjrz7phed.jpg

DSCF1686_zpswecomrl0.jpg

DSCF1683_zpsmfnifd1y.jpg

DSCF1684_zpsuyk8afaz.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Just when I think you've tackled something REALLY wild, you out do yourself and throw a new one at us.   Always puts a smile on my face to see what you're building John and this one is no exception.    cheers, tim

Really lookin' good here John. lol. I can't get this car out of my head because it's so dang crazy! I do have a question for you though. What's your process for dealing with those two piece rear tires? I used a set of these and did the very best I could on 'em but I think I could improve on the next set. Just curious.